CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help - Page 3


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 41

Thread: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

  1. #25
    *Registered User* DarbyOhara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    30
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    My iec socket on the back of the case had a tiny little fuse tray that was really difficult to spot and even harder to open. Just looked like a solid lump of plastic til I removed it and caught it in the right light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YES! That was it! Not sure what an iec is, but the compartment was right below where the power plug inserted on the back. Wasn't easy to see, but now that you pointed it out. Took a screwdriver and little pressure, and popped right open. Slid open like a drawer. And yep, the fuse was blown. Luckily there was a brand new extra in a hidden compartment. Put it all back together and the thing powered up like Chinese Harley.... lol. Thanks again so much. Not sure what I do without this forum and you folks... Back to my project...



  2. #26
    Registered Sterob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    205
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
    YES! Not sure what an iec is,
    IEC is a type of power connector used on electrical devices.



  3. #27
    *Registered User* DarbyOhara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    30
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    I got another question that maybe someone else has encountered this issue. I am not sure it is my Chinese 6040 machine, or the Mach 3 program, but I am kinda thinking it is the Mach 3 program. I carved out my 90 degree tool work on this project and I needed to simply change the tool to a 1/4" EM to cut-out. Tool changed and zero's the Z and glanced at the Mach 3 screen. Seemed to be ok, but remember, I had to move it so I could zero the Z, Hit the Go button... dang! Cut into my work wrong! I stopped it. Somehow my X axis is off by nearly 1 1/2". I know for a fact I did not touch anything on Mach 3 except the go and start. It's like it has a mind of it's own. It is annoying that I have to re-check the X Y zero each time I do something. Has anyone else experience Mach 3 issues like this? If so, what did you do to resolve it? I did notice a few times that I had to close the Mach 3 program out because it was acting up. This is so frustrating. Once again, another piece of wood ruined.



  4. #28
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    459
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Yes, the cheap motion control cards at fault I believe. For some reason when you move the machine at an M6 command it restarts relative to your current position. Not sure exactly why.

    Best thing to do is to save your files one tool at a time instead of having the whole job in one g-code file, that means you can jog your machine around as you wish between tool changes and not have any problems. It also makes it much easier to restart from a position part way through the job if you have to stop it for any reason, or to flick through the code to make hand edits etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  5. #29
    *Registered User* DarbyOhara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    30
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Yes, the cheap motion control cards at fault I believe. For some reason when you move the machine at an M6 command it restarts relative to your current position. Not sure exactly why.

    Best thing to do is to save your files one tool at a time instead of having the whole job in one g-code file, that means you can jog your machine around as you wish between tool changes and not have any problems. It also makes it much easier to restart from a position part way through the job if you have to stop it for any reason, or to flick through the code to make hand edits etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the explanation. The cheap motion card? Is there a way to update/replace these with something better? And how easy is it with these Chinese machines? If I replace them with something better, would that mess up my other Chinese settings?

    And I do save my tool paths separate when only the tool changes. It seems that when I positioned the tool manually to set the Z new tool zero that is when it might have lost the X axis. I am not sure, but it is just downright frustrating. I don't like to hit the Mach 3 goto Z button just to start a new path because the tool changed... I think there is a way to tell mach 3 to goto just the X Y zero position? If there was an easy way to re-check my X Y zero after setting the new Z, that would help a little.



  6. #30
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    459
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. The cheap motion card? Is there a way to update/replace these with something better? And how easy is it with these Chinese machines? If I replace them with something better, would that mess up my other Chinese settings?

    And I do save my tool paths separate when only the tool changes. It seems that when I positioned the tool manually to set the Z new tool zero that is when it might have lost the X axis. I am not sure, but it is just downright frustrating. I don't like to hit the Mach 3 goto Z button just to start a new path because the tool changed... I think there is a way to tell mach 3 to goto just the X Y zero position? If there was an easy way to re-check my X Y zero after setting the new Z, that would help a little.
    Changing the card, not so much an issue. Many people swap them for smoothsteppers and have a much more trustworthy machine after doing so.

    X/Y zero, go into MDI and type “G90 G54 G0 X0 Y0”

    You shouldn’t have to press the goto z button if you have a separate g-code file for each tool. Nor should you lose position after jogging in X/Y. Which could indicate lost steps on the X axis or coupler slippage.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  7. #31
    *Registered User* DarbyOhara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    30
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Changing the card, not so much an issue. Many people swap them for smoothsteppers and have a much more trustworthy machine after doing so.

    X/Y zero, go into MDI and type “G90 G54 G0 X0 Y0”

    You shouldn’t have to press the goto z button if you have a separate g-code file for each tool. Nor should you lose position after jogging in X/Y. Which could indicate lost steps on the X axis or coupler slippage.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok... sorry I am a newbie... What is MDI?

    On these smoothsteppers... are they just the card with easy replacement? Just swap them out and go? Or is there more configuring to do? Also, were do I purchase these for my machine?

    I been doing a few projects successfully. After each job, before changing tools, I send the tool back to zero.. lift the Z and change tool, then re-zero the Z. Make sure the X Y didn't change. So far so good. Thanks again for your help.



  8. #32
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    I didn't read all of this thread but here's what I did to setup a 6040 for my friend to cut inlay with Mach3: First - threw away the cable that came with the machine and bought a UC100. Second installed X+Y+Z+ limit switches. Then wired and configured accordingly. Note - we decided to keep the manual knob speed control active rather than control it from Mach3 as it's easier to change speed that way than click with a mouse. Mach3 does control on/off however. I used a Dell Optiplex 745 MT with XP to run the machine. It paid for itself in three weeks. Here's the pics:

    CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_121704_1540941101238_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_121712_1540941099658_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125350_1540941097666_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125403_1540941070664_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125410_1540941069773_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125417_1540941068994_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125435_1540941068117_resized-jpgCNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180419_165153_1540941067110_resized-jpg

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_121704_1540941101238_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_121712_1540941099658_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125350_1540941097666_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125403_1540941070664_resized-jpg  

    CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125410_1540941069773_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125417_1540941068994_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180414_125435_1540941068117_resized-jpg   CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help-20180419_165153_1540941067110_resized-jpg  



  9. #33
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Last photo showing limit configuration. They are wired in series. I run my CNC (not a 6040) on a Gecko 540 and learning to set up my friend's 6040 was a little tricky. Luckily I ran my router with a Chinese control before I moved to the Gecko so I still remembered some stuff. Wiring the VFD was new to me and took some research as the documentation was crap/nonexistent.





  10. #34
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    ALSO, this is important - we could not run the Z axis over about 50 or 60 IPM or it would skip steps. We set the X and Y at about 70 IPM I believe. The problem was in the drive because we swapped motors etc. to see if the problem followed.

    BTW - MDI is Manual Data Input.



  11. #35
    *Registered User* DarbyOhara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    30
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Thanks for the info banjodave. Quite interesting, but a bit too complex for me. I work with 8 thumbs and a mechanical/electrical IQ that is pretty low... lol. That is why I decided to go with a Chinese machine... few or little assembly required. But I know... they are made with cheap guts. However, I may try to tackle the limit switches (if I can).

    I think if I can keep a decent working pattern as I have the past few days. everything will be fine for the simple jobs I am doing. I would eventually like to get into the 3D carving. But that may be a ways down the road for me. Again, thanks for all your help and information.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by banjodave View Post
    ALSO, this is important - we could not run the Z axis over about 50 or 60 IPM or it would skip steps. We set the X and Y at about 70 IPM I believe. The problem was in the drive because we swapped motors etc. to see if the problem followed.

    BTW - MDI is Manual Data Input.
    Ok.. but where do I find that? I thought there was a button control to goto to X Y home (not Z) in Mach 3.



  12. #36
    Registered damo1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    ljubljana
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

    Hello all,

    I am newbie on a forum and also in a cnc world. Today I got my usb 4 axis 6040 with 1500w spindle and trying to start it. Unfortunately machine came without any drivers, software etc. I contacted the seller on Ebay, but frankly don't expect much from him.

    I have same machine and controller as you DarbyoHara. Would you be so kind and email me or put it on Google Drive (my mail is damo1023atgoogle.com) the software, drivers and pdf's that came with the machine? I would really help me a lot to start the machine. I am using HP laptop with usb 2.0 ports and Windows XP.

    I hope I don't ask too much. Thank you for your help in advance.

    best regards,
    Damjan



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help

CNC 6040 USB 1500w ebay - need help