6040 CNC Z Axis just died in middle of a cut

Thread: 6040 CNC Z Axis just died in middle of a cut

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy 6040 CNC Z Axis just died in middle of a cut

So after some problems getting my spindle to spin I was getting quite hopefull about maybe making my first real cut in wood today. But no. On my final test run in styrofoam the Z axis quit on me. The Z axis motor lost all power and I could move it around by its knob in the middle of the cut. If I switch out the Y and Z cables on the controller I can move the Z axis again, but then the Y axis is dead. I'm guessing this is a controller fault.. And its not going to be fun fixing it.

Would REALLY appreciate any help or ideas on figuring out exactly what is wrong?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 CNC Z Axis just died in middle of a cut

Did you buy this machine directly from China, or from a local vendor? If it's the latter, you've got some recourse - bring it back to them and demand a repair or refund. If it's the former, you don't - check for any obvious wiring defects, but most likely it's due to the drivers being total junk (quite usual in these machines, which cut every corner to achieve the lowest possible price). Your best bet in that case is to replace the guts of the controller box with something decent; I usually recommend the Geckodrive G-540 and a 50v power supply for this size of machine. There are certainly cheaper alternatives out there- but you've already got one of those....

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 CNC Z Axis just died in middle of a cut

Bought from a German seller through ebay. I emailed the seller a few hours ago so I have some small amount of hope left. Otherwise I guess my only choice is to pay for the upgraded controller. Thanks for the tip.