Newbie Odd Z zero problem

Thread: Odd Z zero problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Odd Z zero problem

Hello all. Finally decided to join the forum and ask a question.
    I got a OmioCNC X8-2200L about a year ago and have been helped by the posts so far and incorporated a few mods to make may machine a little better.
    I set up water cooling similar to the one that used to be on page 70. Added 1/2" aluminum plate to stiffen the bed and put a couple lexan shields on the sides to help contain the dust. So far I only machine wood. I have a small Sherline mill and lathe for metal work.
    I've been lucky so far and haven't had a lot of the issued I've read about here, but there is a minor issue I'd like to post. I sent this out to a club I belong to, but nobody else has a chinese machine, and just scratched their heads on hit.

I have a Chinese cnc machine (OmioCNC X8-2200L) and run Mach3 (version 62) on a windows 10 or windows 7 laptop. (both versions tried to eliminate OS issues). I reloaded Windows 10 (with updates disabled) and re-installed mach3 to test. Also tried a fresh windows 7 and mach3 install on a different laptop. No change in any behaviors.

Problem: Z tool touch-off behavior changes if G code loaded.
    a) When using the touch plate to auto zero the Z axis, it will work fine when no code is loaded into mach3. I can manually zero x and y and z. On auto-zero, Z goes minus, touches the plate, and raises up 10mm, just as the hiddenscript.ms1 commands. This is repeatable over several test.
    b) If G code is loaded after all axis are zeroed, each axis DRO shows what appears to be a random number. Hitting any axis zero resets the DRO to the correct value (validated that Z resets also) When doing any subsequent auto-zeros, the Z axis touches the plate and retracts (Z+) all the way to the Z home switch. This too is repeatable. Closing G code has no effect, but if mach3 is closed and restarted, the behavior goes back to step a.

Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Odd Z zero problem

When you reinstall Mach3, do you enter all the settings by hand, or do you reuse the old XML file?

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine came with a version of mach3, the xml file to configure it, and drivers for the wireless keypad. When originally installed, everything worked as expected, including the Z touchoff. I re-installed mach3 using the same xml file that came with it, so yes, I reuse the old xml file. I even re-downloaded the zip file that came with the machine in case my original was corrupt. I can't imagine that any failure or change in hardware would effect it so that each test is repeatable. Sounds like software (the xml file?), but if I used the same files that originally worked, I don't know what could possibly do this. I could download Mach3 v62 from the official website but will really need to learn all the configuration settings to make the machine work correctly.

Downloads
    Uploads

The controller in that machine probably only works with the pirated copy of Mach3 that came with the machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I've downloaded mach3 version 62 from Downloads & Updates - Newfangled Solutions, installed and tested this with the mach3mill.xml file that came with the machine. No change in the behavior. Since this xml file originally worked, it indicates a problem with the machine itself, but I can't imagine what hardware problem would make the Z touchoff function have an always repeatable incorrect behavior only after code is loaded. I can set zero for all axis manually and the job will cut fine. This little problem is driving me crazy. Maybe it's time to open up the controller and swap the driver modules between the Z and A axis just to eliminate the driver module.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has your cam program or post processor changed. Post the code your running that causes the issues after being loaded. If you open up a old g-code file from a time when everything worked do you still have the same problem?

Ben

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Bhurts,
    I use Vectric Aspire with the mach3 ATC inch post processor. This is what I've use since I got the current machine. (used to have a nextwave piranha)
    The attached dust shoe txt file is the latest file that was loaded that shows the problem. I don't save the txt files from older projects as it is easy to re-gen the g-code, so I don't have code I can test from the time I remember it working.
    Just to clarify, I only load the code (not run it) to create the problem. Also unloading the code still shows the problem. The Z touch off only works if no code is loaded after starting Mach3.

Thanks for your comments
    jd

Attached Files Attached Files