Need Help! new to cnc and need help

Thread: new to cnc and need help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new to cnc and need help

so I'm into woodworking and I decided to get a small cnc to engrave names and such. I got a small one that's basically a Chinese 3040 of sorts it has a black control box with a usb ab port and a parallel port when I bought it I got the computer with it and everything worked. it was set up for mach3 using the parallel port I used it with the parallel port and it worked fine multiple times but the other day it would not jog at all I checked all the mach3 settings and all the ports and pins and my cables but it still wont work my pcs port works fine but it will not work anymore I didn't change anything so its really upsetting. I think the problem is the breakout board it works on its original Chinese software with the usb ab cord is there anything anyone knows that could be making it do that. and is there a fix. I'm fine with having to swap boards if it will make it work. thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: new to cnc and need help

Short answer is.......if you want to get absolute and complete joy from your woodwork projects, scrap the complete control system and install a Gecko with a Win XP dedicated bare bones computer.

Messing with the stuff you got from the original buy will make you tear your hair out.......it will cost some money, but you get 100% results in the end.....best of luck.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so if I go with a gecko driver what all is needed to run my machine I have 4 wire motors that are 2 amp. I have a dedicated windows pc. I have the basic knowledge of electronics. can I use the switches from my current control box and power supply or do I need to buy everything? if anyone could explain what I need and how to make it work that would be awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, the Gecko is just a more reliable controller and you can get good feedback from all who have used it......it's relatively expensive in comparison to the cheap junk from China.....but you only get what you pay for.

The hardware bits you have, provided they're good quality (?) can be reused......it's the electronics total that are the weak link as they're cheaply made somewhere overseas down to a price and fail frequently.,,,,,treat all components as potential crap.

Being cheap, the failed parts aren't worth getting refunds on even if you could.

A poor man always pays twice.........take that as a warning.

BTW, a PC with Win XP is all you need..........and don't use the bundled software that are guaranteed pirate copies anyway.

If you haven't browsed the various users of CNC stuff then you're ripe for the plucking.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So if I purchase a g540 controller all I need to do is wire the motors and plug in my db25 and then supply power and switches? My cheap Chinese controller has 2 boards one that basically supplys power and the other that controls everything. I'll have to check but my current box uses 24dc so I might try using that and plugging the gecko control into it. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Sigh.......the Chinese stuff you have can be considered to be junk.....sell it on to the next guy who piche4s pennies .......don't mix it with the Gecko or strange things can happen and you might regret it.

The whole point of reliability is to have items and components that are quality items......that is if you want to power up and see the wheels turn.......nothing like the deathly silence when nothing happens or magic smoke gets out.

Unless you're really strapped for finances I would advise spending once good and not worry about the mortgage, ex wife's payments, car payments or the kid's inheritance.....they can be caught up with when you start making money at your hobby.......the end justifies the means.

BTW, if you're not too knowledgeable with CNC stuff try and get someone to check out the existing stuff for rework, but I would think it could be sold on for money and used for the new build.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you need to find someone knowledgeable who is local to you, to help you.Nothing beats a 'hands on' Mentor.
    This quest will be very long and frustrating for you, if you are not reasonable familiar with this stuff and its very hard for people to help you.
    People are willing, but it is difficult to explain step by step.

Maybe fall back and try to find your existing problem. It might just be something simple.... learn how to fix your machine for a couple of years and THEN you can look at upgrading.
    handlewanker is right....When you DO need to modify your machine, Spend right and spend once....

I tinkered with my 6040 for 4 years before embarking on an Upgrade, and I have some electrical/electronic experience. ( But not in this field )

Do lots reading and when you do have questions, it helps to post some pics so people can 'see' what you see.
    Good luck.
    Hope I haven't missed the mark and upset you. Just trying to help.

Steve