Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice

Thread: Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice

Hi Guys,
    I've had my 6040 for about 4 years now and decided to change the Motion card to a ESS and MB2 BOB.
    There is no spare room in the original housings so have ordered a 4U 19" rack enclosure, and will transplant most of the gear into that.
    I have made cardboard patterns of all of the components and have been shuffling all the parts around, trying to find the best layout, without much success.
    I'm going to change all the cabling to shielded cable, Move the VSD ( Nowforever D100 ) to its own enclosure, using trunking to keep the wiring neater and *probably* mount the ESS against the back of the case, so I can see the status LED's and
    have easy access to the Ethernet port.( althought I do have a Etehrnet extension cable if I need it.
    Stepper drives are YOC556 ( 4 off ). Looking at fitting one or two fans for cooling and am going to use a Earth Link to common all the screens and earths.
    Will have a 40V PS for the steppers and a 24VDC 2A PS for the ESS and MB2.
    I googled images to try and get some ideas but they seems to be hard to find. I guess every build is different.....

Does anyone have any guidelines to how to best arrange all the components for neat wiring, cooling and protection against EMI?

The new case is 420 x 460 mm so I have plenty of room.

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I've had my 6040 for about 4 years now and decided to change the Motion card to a ESS and MB2 BOB.
    There is no spare room in the original housings so have ordered a 4U 19" rack enclosure, and will transplant most of the gear into that.
    I have made cardboard patterns of all of the components and have been shuffling all the parts around, trying to find the best layout, without much success.
    I'm going to change all the cabling to shielded cable, Move the VSD ( Nowforever D100 ) to its own enclosure, using trunking to keep the wiring neater and *probably* mount the ESS against the back of the case, so I can see the status LED's and
    have easy access to the Ethernet port.( althought I do have a Etehrnet extension cable if I need it.
    Stepper drives are YOC556 ( 4 off ). Looking at fitting one or two fans for cooling and am going to use a Earth Link to common all the screens and earths.
    Will have a 40V PS for the steppers and a 24VDC 2A PS for the ESS and MB2.
    I googled images to try and get some ideas but they seems to be hard to find. I guess every build is different.....

Does anyone have any guidelines to how to best arrange all the components for neat wiring, cooling and protection against EMI?

The new case is 420 x 460 mm so I have plenty of room.

Steve
    Watch this guy's excellent videos, you can go to his website and download pictures and schematic. This should give you some ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carl1961 View Post
    Watch this guy's excellent videos, you can go to his website and download pictures and schematic. This should give you some ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Carl. Thats just what I was after.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I have worked out a preliminary layout.
    Im just wondering if I can relax my rules and put the VSD in the same enclosure?
    It would make a lot neater and similar build. I am concerned about EMI problems form the VSD, so I am conflicted.
    Would I be ok with the Nowforever VSD? These don't seem to suffer the same EMI problems as the HY VSD's do.

Steve

Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice-controller-layout-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently mocked up all my components for a 24" x 24" enclosure. I mounted any heat generating devices; power supplies, drives, etc at the top of so heat does not unnecessarily affect other components. I designated the left side as signal and the right side as power in an effort to eliminate any interference. Wire duct and DIN rail terminals make for a neat and easy to trouble shoot system. Leaving space to expand is nice so your entire layout doesnt need to be revised when you want to add a relay or other components. I have 100+ DIN rail terminals for all the inputs/outputs and power, which take up plenty of room but help to simplify all the wiring. All the wires enter the panel from the bottom and go into their respective terminals rather than directly to the components.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using terminals seems like a good idea. I'll use them to distribute the 40 V supplies to each driver as well.
    Is you VSD in the same enclosure?

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve did you find the drawings and schmatics that went with CNC4XR7 video? it is listed in this video and also he talks about the EMI your worried about.
    I use the same c11gs controller he is using for my 6040 CNC, it fit in the same spot the original controller did. i added limit switch, water pump, and vacuum plugins, the pump comes on and off when my spindle starts and stops and also added a switch to disable the spindle when probing with a digitized prob so you might want to thinks about those options to while your building such a nice box.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah thanks Carl.

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got the layout arranged for my new enclosure. Its not perfect but it will do.
    I tried to keep the VFD , power supplies and Motion Card spces as far apart as possible.
    I thought I was going to have plenty of room, but that did not turn out that way. I'd had to 'stack' the power supplies, but have air gaps top and bottom.
    and mount the EMI filter on the side of the case. ( it is alot larger than the chinese one that came with it. ) I bought the biggest case I could find...lol. Fan placement could have been better, but hopefully they will keep everything cool enough.
    Now to start the wiring and try and keep it tidy....
    Steve

Re-Building 6040 Controller: Looking for layout advice-final-layout-medium-jpg

ericks

Looking good!