Need Help! Y-Axis Motor Issues and firmware questions - 1720 laser engraver

Thread: Y-Axis Motor Issues and firmware questions - 1720 laser engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Y-Axis Motor Issues and firmware questions - 1720 laser engraver

Hi,

Hopefully some bright spark on here can help.

I've recently built this bit of kit ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000MW-DI...oAAOSwAO9ZVgYV

I did initially get a decent ish result, I think it was simply from adjusting the timing belts. However I then messed up the rom trying to flash it with T2 Laser. I managed to get a copy of the original rom and a USBasp programmer and re-flashed the board. The software it works with is LiteFire Lazer.

First So the motor issue ....

- If I run with both Y-Axis motors the lines do not connect up and the shape is skewed/distorted.

- If I run with either Y-axis motors individually (ie. disconnect one) then both print and identical star shape in almost the same spot (excuse the test photo, there are multiple tests on top of each other)

- I have checked the motors are operating reversed (ie. one clockwise and the other anti ... simply done by placing next to each other and put a spot on the cog)

I have tightened and loosed timing belts again trying to resolve, although fairly sure this is not the case anymore I have this feeling someone is going to point me in that direction again!

Also I know the stepper motors can get hot, but I have heard a sort of hissing noise on occasion? Which I've then paused while it cools, it just seems to happen quicker than I would like and wondered if this was normal etc?

I've additionally tried flashing other firmwares to them, BenBox LX-Nano rom appears to work ... however there seems to be a current on the motor all the time which locks them in place when the power is on, this software seems to be better but I have not tested it properly as this was making the steppers get hot quicker ... is this normal behaviour for BenBox?

Ultimately I have read a few things that suggest I can improve the quality using other software and ideally would like to compile GRBL for it however I'm struggling on the programming side of that. I did test grbl 0.9 hex which for the most part seemed to work but the lazer was always on.

Can anyone additionally offer any advice on my best direction for the firmware?

[EDIT]
    Further update, ive messed with the timing belts and did manage to get some perfect prints using the two motor. However I wen't out for lunch returned and of course tightened a few screws, made sure looked at the belt tension again, moved it back into place and did another test ... AND it went wrong again! Cant see why its doing this, but did notice something I consider odd ... running with two motors, its basically barely moving and firing the laser for a split second burst, however if i remove one motor as before it prints correctly and the laser fires for a few seconds in per line so its not even trying to draw the full shape with the two motors in use or the laser would of been on for longer? But of course I did get it working again briefly so I'm very confused as to what this all means

Thanks
    Jamie.