Phase convertor size for a 9kw spindle machine?

Thread: Phase convertor size for a 9kw spindle machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Phase convertor size for a 9kw spindle machine?

I would like to buy a cnc router with the italy hsd 9kw spindle, but am not sure what size phase covertor is required. It is to convert single phase 220v to 3 phase. I don't think I will be using all 9kw of it's power. Also has anyone had good results doing this.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Phase convertor size for a 9kw spindle machine?

15HP would be the minimum, 20HP might be better. I have had good result doing this. Maybe the more important question is how much power do you have available in your shop?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't want to go past 8 gauge wire or 40 amps on 220v. Mainly because I think it is way too much power. I think a 25 hp phase convertor would be max. I guess that would be enough, but not sure. Have you been running a 12hp or 9kw spindle with a 20hp convertor? If not what size machine with whap size phase convertor?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm personally running a CNC lathe with a 7.5KW spindle, 1.5KW live tooling motor, 0.75 KW hydraulic pump, 0.75 KW coolant pump, plus the axis servos all on a 15HP RPC. Seems to work fine. Feeding it with #8 wire on a 50 amp breaker. With power factor correction turned on and the spindle running unloaded at 3K RPM, it draws about 12 amps on the single phase side. I built my own RPC and added a pony motor to spin the idler up to speed before switching in the 15HP idler. The light don't even flicker when the idler kicks in.

I installed a commercial built 20HP RPC for a customer for his routers, each with a 7.5 KW spindle. I fed the 20HP RPC with #1 aluminum from the 75 amp breaker in the panel. His shop is fed by a 100 amp breaker, but has 4-0 aluminum wire feeding the shop. The lights dim when you kick it on, but it's about a 300 foot run from his house to the shop, so a bit of a voltage drop on a heavy start load.

On my router I just replaced the 10KW spindle motor with a Porter Cable 7518 router motor. It seems to work fine for what I do. Won't take the bite that the 10KW spindle would, but it does everything I ask of it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info.