Thread: How/where to connect Auto probe tool

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How/where to connect Auto probe tool

Hello everybody !
    I have a 3040 CNC that works well and I want to put this on it :

I have this motherboard :

Is there someone who can tell me how to connect it , and , if necessary, what to do in Mach3 to make it work ?

Thanks a lot

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How/where to connect Auto probe tool-engraving-machine-automatic-tool-setting-font-b   How/where to connect Auto probe tool-htb15n66jfxxxxbrxvxxq6xxfxxxp-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How/where to connect Auto probe tool

Hi there.
    I am in the same boat!!! Did you figure out how to connect it?
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbride19 View Post
    Hello everybody !
    I have a 3040 CNC that works well and I want to put this on it :

I have this motherboard :

Is there someone who can tell me how to connect it , and , if necessary, what to do in Mach3 to make it work ?

Thanks a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

1. Connect a bit of wire from one of the GND terminals and a bare end you can tap on the screws of the IN terminals to work out what's what.
    2. In Mach3 under the Config menu, select Ports and Pins.
    3. Go to the Inputs tab.
    4. Set up the Probe input. Enable it and set the right pin number. Which one it is will depend on the board. If you can't get find that out, it's an input - no harm in just going up the numbers one by one until you find it. Skip any input pin numbers that are already used by other enabled inputs because you know it ain't them. If the first three inputs are used by homing switches on your machine, you'll probably be able to work out the next number in the sequence and use the 4th pin and its ID.
    5. You can verify good connection by going to the diagnostics page. Touching the wire to the IN terminal of choice should turn the digitize indicator ON and removing it should turn it off. If it's the other way around, check the inverted box on the PROBE input and try again.
    6. Now you have your config setup.
    7. Cut the alligator clip from the probe and strip both sides of the wire.
    8. Get some twin core flex - thin speaker wire works fine. Attach the alligator clip to one wire and the other end of that wire goes into the GND terminal. Attach the probe wire to the other wire and run its other end into the IN terminal.
    9. Verify that the DIGITIZE indicator is off on the diagnostics page.
    10. Clip the alligator clip onto your tool bit. Touching it to the probe should turn the DIGITIZE indicator on.
    11. Now you have your wiring!

To use (manually):
    1. Accurately (micrometer?) measure the height of the tool probe.
    2. Jog your tool roughly down to 3mm / 1/8" off the probe.
    3. Set Z to zero on the main screen's DRO.
    4. From the MDI window enter
    G31F30Z-10
    5. The tool should come down slowly and stop when it contacts the probe.
    6. Back to the main screen, set Z on the DRO to the height of the probe.
    7. Jog the tool up off the probe and unclip, remove the probe from the area.
    Your Z in the current workspace is now set so that zero corresponds to the tool tip sitting on the surface upon which you were resting the tool.

Note - you can script this as a button script on the "auto tool zero" button on the front page. There are examples kicking around the net.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    1. Connect a bit of wire from one of the GND terminals and a bare end you can tap on the screws of the IN terminals to work out what's what.
    2. In Mach3 under the Config menu, select Ports and Pins.
    3. Go to the Inputs tab.
    4. Set up the Probe input. Enable it and set the right pin number. Which one it is will depend on the board. If you can't get find that out, it's an input - no harm in just going up the numbers one by one until you find it. Skip any input pin numbers that are already used by other enabled inputs because you know it ain't them. If the first three inputs are used by homing switches on your machine, you'll probably be able to work out the next number in the sequence and use the 4th pin and its ID.
    5. You can verify good connection by going to the diagnostics page. Touching the wire to the IN terminal of choice should turn the digitize indicator ON and removing it should turn it off. If it's the other way around, check the inverted box on the PROBE input and try again.
    6. Now you have your config setup.
    7. Cut the alligator clip from the probe and strip both sides of the wire.
    8. Get some twin core flex - thin speaker wire works fine. Attach the alligator clip to one wire and the other end of that wire goes into the GND terminal. Attach the probe wire to the other wire and run its other end into the IN terminal.
    9. Verify that the DIGITIZE indicator is off on the diagnostics page.
    10. Clip the alligator clip onto your tool bit. Touching it to the probe should turn the DIGITIZE indicator on.
    11. Now you have your wiring!

To use (manually):
    1. Accurately (micrometer?) measure the height of the tool probe.
    2. Jog your tool roughly down to 3mm / 1/8" off the probe.
    3. Set Z to zero on the main screen's DRO.
    4. From the MDI window enter
    G31F30Z-10
    5. The tool should come down slowly and stop when it contacts the probe.
    6. Back to the main screen, set Z on the DRO to the height of the probe.
    7. Jog the tool up off the probe and unclip, remove the probe from the area.
    Your Z in the current workspace is now set so that zero corresponds to the tool tip sitting on the surface upon which you were resting the tool.

Note - you can script this as a button script on the "auto tool zero" button on the front page. There are examples kicking around the net.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mcbride19;

Not working. Please help!
    This is what I did:
    1) Mach3-->Config-->Inputs, then Enabled PROBE, Port #1, assigned PIN 15, Low Active.
    PINs 11, 12 and 13 are set for X, Y and Z respectively and work Ok.
    2) Went to the board (exactly the same shown in your photo) and connected a single cable to one of the two grounds.
    3) Mach3-->Diagnosis-->RESET button. I could see on the screen that the 3 Outputs are red
    5) Then touched the other tip of the Ground connected cable with every IN from 1 to 4 and no DIGITIZE green led showed up.
    What am I doing wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Presumably the X, Y and Z switches each have one wire running to the IN pin, and a second wire going somewhere else. Is that somewhere else a ground terminal?