Need Help! Nowforever VFD and Mach3 issues AIN1 supplying frequency but not spinning

Thread: Nowforever VFD and Mach3 issues AIN1 supplying frequency but not spinning

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nowforever VFD and Mach3 issues AIN1 supplying frequency but not spinning

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my Nowforever VFD in the 6040, it's receiving AIN1 voltage and not spinning even though the display is indicating a frequency.

I have these currently set:
    P0-000 = 1
    P0-001 = 0
    P0-002 = 2

it'll display frequency but will not run.

I have tested it with:
    P0-000 = 0
    P0-001 = 0
    P0-002 = 2

and manually hit run with the ANI1 input coming in, and it does indeed speed the full range of frequencies.

I have also confirmed with:
    P0-000 = 0
    P0-001 = 0
    P0-002 = 0

Manual control works via the run and trimmer control on the front.

Upon further diagnosis, it doesn't appear X1 is receiving a signal on the VFD. This 6040z uses a YooCNC M3-USB-JB4 motion controller interface board to Mach3. It does have a forward pin, I need to confirm on my oscilloscope if it's sending a signal. I am suspicious the motion controller interface has suffered a failure, first week with this machine and dead already?

It was working I should preface however it just suddenly stopped I'm not entirely sure if Mach3 would have anything to do with it not going into run mode?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by fang64; 01-08-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Additional information

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Nowforever VFD and Mach3 issues AIN1 supplying frequency but not spinning

After some thorough testing, it appears the USB Motion Controller the YooCNC M3-USB-JB4 is dead, I checked D3-000 and shorted the X1 pin to COM on the "Nowforever" VFD and it started working albeit manually. Now the question is what died in the M3-USB-JB4 maybe just a transistor to short the X1 pin to COM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Nowforever VFD and Mach3 issues AIN1 supplying frequency but not spinning

Quote Originally Posted by fang64 View Post
    After some thorough testing, it appears the USB Motion Controller the YooCNC M3-USB-JB4 is dead, I checked D3-000 and shorted the X1 pin to COM on the "Nowforever" VFD and it started working albeit manually. Now the question is what died in the M3-USB-JB4 maybe just a transistor to short the X1 pin to COM.
    You will find you don't have a Ground wire on the VFD and the spindle, this usually does in the motion board

You have to Ground the VFD to the input power supply Ground, and then do the spindle Ground 4 pin in the connector if you have it, to the VFD Ground, until you do this you will damage the electronics, as others have also

If your spindle connector does have the 4th pin, you in most cases have to ground it inside the spindle as well

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54, I did look at the lead going to the spindle, it's only a 3 lead, it does have a 4 pin connector, but the connector on the control box is 3 pin.

The USB motion controller is isolated from the chassis, and the VFD is also not connected to Earth at all. So I may have to rework the wiring to make this earth grounded.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fang64 View Post
    mactec54, I did look at the lead going to the spindle, it's only a 3 lead, it does have a 4 pin connector, but the connector on the control box is 3 pin.

The USB motion controller is isolated from the chassis, and the VFD is also not connected to Earth at all. So I may have to rework the wiring to make this earth grounded.
    This is normal that you have to do this with these machines, the Ground from the VFD should be connected to the main input Power Ground then a Ground wire from the VFD Ground to the Spindle Body, without this you will get damage to the electronics

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having a similar issue to you but I hear a "click" which is presume is the relay coming on when I toggle the spindle in MACH3 but nothing happens with the spindle! does the display panel on your control box show anything?

Can you do me a favour and open your control box and take a picture of your wires?my control board has a port in the middle that says "PWM OUT" but has nothing connected to it, I think this should have a lead between this port and the input terminals on my white VFD box???

I can control the spindle using local controls on the control box fine ... but I want to do it automatically with MACH3 using PWM!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ravvles, It might be similar the click is possibly X1 going high, which if you check D3-000 it should show you a 1 if you turn on your spindle in Mach3. It could very well be it's not receiving the RPM from the ANI1, that sounds like the opposite issue to me.

If you want to see what mine looks like,
    VFD view - http://i.imgur.com/mycDkx5.jpg
    USB Motion Controller Interface - http://i.imgur.com/IJru52X.jpg

I suspect the PWM to GND connector isn't between 10volts to 0volts, which is what the VFD needs to control the frequency from ANI connections.

I would also add this may not be how yours is wired, do bear in mind they do differ between models as I have found out very quickly between a friend's 6040z-s80 and mine.

Last edited by fang64; 01-09-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your response and images fang64, much appreciated! your box looks slightly different to mine! I have no cables running into my VFD apart from the spindle and power into the side, take a look at the attached images, you can see a "PWN-OUT" port on my control board that has nothing connected, I didn't know if this needed to connect to the ports on the top of the VFD or something??

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Nothing happens on D3-000 when I trigger the spindle on in mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ravvles you would pretty much have to figure what the PWM out pins are in my case 2 of those pins are for ANI1 and supplies 0-10v, if you have an oscilloscope you can see the PWM output signal off those pins. The other 2 pins in my case are for X1, which is pulled to ground, it starts out at 12~13 volts and is pulled down to engage the spindle to go into FORWARD mode or CW mode. I have a furnished lab to test this stuff and check it, but you could use a multimeter to see the DC output since it's PWM you could see the variance in voltage. based on RPM set in mach3.

Look at those 4 pins more closely on mine, i imagine yours would be different or similar.
    http://i.imgur.com/KVIqmmY.jpg

Last edited by fang64; 01-09-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Add photo of controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54, thanks for the information, I was having some chatter in the stepper motors as well it appears the ground was the issue. It appears that is entirely gone, apparently the seller is going to replace the USB Motion Controller Card so at least this wont happen again hopefully.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is normal that you have to do this with these machines, the Ground from the VFD should be connected to the main input Power Ground then a Ground wire from the VFD Ground to the Spindle Body, without this you will get damage to the electronics
    So after getting a replacement controller board, I am still unable to turn the VFD off and on via X1 pin, the VFD is receiving ANI1 input. However will not short the X1 to COM on the VFD through the transistor. I think I got sent a faulty controller board, I doubt the VFD is at fault, because pulling it down to the Ground (COM), it goes active.

and enters run while ANI1 receives the 0-10 volts like it's supposed to.... So I'm wondering now if it's really a control board issue or not?