Newbie OmioCNC report

Page 1 of 108 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: OmioCNC report

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

I joined the forum recently, looking for information on a "next step". I've had a SIEG manual lathe and mill for years and use them for the occasional hobby project. A year or so ago I bought a SeeMeCNC Rostock Max 3D printer and have been having fun with that but, particularly for dive equipment, prints just won't hold a seal or pressure without some form of post processing.

Still. In that process I've learned to enjoy going straight from a CAD model to production (obviously with a few steps along the way) and the manual gear has lost its shine.

So time for a mill - eventually I'd love a 5 axis machine plus the software and skill to drive it, to replace the lathe and mill both. But that ain't going to happen for a long time yet. I had a look at a mate's KX3-servo SIEG but it just didn't have the throat depth for a couple of projects I want to try.

Limited by shipping costs and availability in Australia, eventually it boiled down to three choices.
    - A larger version of the X3 mill, replacing the leadscrews with ballscrews, steppers/servos etc;
    - A bigger knee mill with a similar retrofit;
    - A gantry type machine.

Problem with the first two is that I intend doing a lot of small/fine stuff so I want a much smaller tool and high speed spindle - problematic with these guys. Plus I want to get started on using the thing first time around, not spend months trying to get the tool working.

Still, lots of reading and learning about frame types and rigidity and appropriate choice of ways etc has helped here.

Yesterday I dropped the hammer on an OmioCNC (formerly carving-cnc) X6-2200L-USB with the 4th axis. X6-2200L (4-axis) Woodworking / Metalworking CNC Router --OMIOCNC(Carving-CNC) -omiocnc.com

This one caught my attention due to the large motors, the use of 20mm Hiwin rails instead of the more common round unsupported ones, the USB controller which apparently actually works out of the box. I figure that the low Z height can be taken care of with a higher gantry with wider spaced "feet" to account for the extra leverage and I'd only need to replace the rails and leadscrew on the Z to get better travel. But we'll see.

If nothing else it was a cheap way to get me into the game and give me the tools to build something better if I need it. We shall see!

Supposedly be here in a couple of weeks, I shall report on the inevitable DHL wallet rampage and unpacking etc as we go.

Oh, and a pic. Coz everyone likes pics.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

Well, only two weeks but it felt like forever.

I thought I'd use the waiting time to clean the shed up a bit but got dragged interstate for work instead. The idea of leaving it in the boxes until the shed was clean lasted until about ten seconds after I got the boxes on the trolley at home today.

Shipping was relatively painless apart from a couple of days of DHL dicking me around because they couldn't work out whether they did or didn't have my mobile number. I did get hit for GST and another AUD80 in customs handling fees at this end, total of about AUD270 on top which didn't bother me at all.

Unboxed and assembled in about 25 minutes. A few nice things after reading a lot of horror stories on the 3020 etc machines...
    - Well packed, one small ding in the bed right at the back that I don't care about.
    - The threads were clean, correctly sized etc. Only one bolt was a little tight, everything else just slid home.
    - Cable chain didn't seem tight at all.
    - Controller box came with an Australian power plug - now I'm impressed!
    - All the assembly points had marks on them indicating this thing had already been assembled in the shop before being broken down for shipping. This makes me happy: they've not just thrown a bunch of bits in a box and sent it, they've made a unit then prepped it for shipping.

I haven't fired it up yet, need to go through their config instructions and files on a laptop to get it ready to go. Fortunately it's USB so I don't need to hunt down extra cards and crap, I just dig my old lappy out of the cupboard and get rolling. Weekend job.

Photo looks remarkably similar to their advertising pages which also makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_20150716171824-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The extra fees are a shame, why didn't they mark the packages as "$40 worth of second-hand farm tools" like they normally do! ;-)

Good looking machine, I was very happy with my 6040, and the spindle is great, you'll love it over using a router.

Happy machining!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

They did knock it down but the Aussie Peso is so ****e at the moment that just the shipping nearly took it over the threshold. And I've had that much come through without being hit I don't mind copping this one on the chin.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update. Couldn't get it going yesterday but tried again today with a new install of Mach3 and hey hey, it's all running.

A little bit of a mismatch between their tool setter documentation and the on-screen settings available in Mach3 but nothing a little mental arithmetic can't sort out.

Only testing with a fibreboard floating floor offcut at the moment but 3000mm/min feedrate seems perfectly fine with a 0.5mm depth of cut.

Still need to see how it goes with aluminium, and plug in the 4th axis for a bit of a play.

But so far, so good. I'm quite impressed with how this is going.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_20150718135645-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy days. Plenty of tuning required but I'm very happy with how easily this thing munches aluminium!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mate, I too have the X6-2000L, got it delivered about 2 weeks or so ago. All i can say is that i am so disappointed with it at this moment. It looks like you were lucky with your one...or i was just super unlucky. As there any chance you can measure the runout of your spindle for me? Both with an endmill in a collet and the inside bore of the spindle itself without the nut and collet. I just switched my spindle on and it is vibrating and rattling like crazy and the bottom where the collet goes, nut and shaft is all getting warm to the touch (5 min of running not actually cutting anything) and I have the water cooling connected and running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Next time I'm down the shed I'll have a look.

But I haven't checked because I never felt the need to. When mine's up and running I have to look closely to even see that it's running - there's zero discernable wobble and zero vibration unloaded. The spindle/collet hadn't warmed up and water was coming out cold after cutting the part in the video above.

With a sample population of two I don't know whether I got lucky or you got unlucky. Have you sent an email back to Grace? She was very helpful with a couple of minor shipping and build questions I had, very fast response.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No i havent spoken to her about this issue yet, but the others yes. I will email tomorrow and see what they say, if its anything like the other issues i have had, it will be nothing but a challenge to get anything useful from them

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. I've been lucky enough that my queries so far have only been looking for info, not for replacements for crap parts. Good luck - don't be afraid to sing out if they drop the ball, warn others etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep as soon as i get everything sorted ill update with the issues i have had.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today's little game was to build a new pressurestat tube bolt for my La Pavoni coffee machine. Basically a hex bolt, 17mm across the flats, 3/8 x 28tpi thread with a hole through the guts into which the copper tube is silver soldered. Yeah, so brass it is.

Well, I managed to play manual G-code driving and happily did the indexing and flat milling on the hex head. Almost.

Anyone looking at the 4th axis option please bear in mind this thing is made of cheese. Brass, 6mm HSS cutter, running about 5000RPM. 3mm stepover. About a 1.5m/min feed rate. 0.25mm depth of cut was ok, a little rough. 0.5mm depth of cut jogged the 4th axis stepper a tooth. Lol.

Dry runs of the thread cut with a 60Âş V bit looked promising, but muggins here managed to snap the only 60Âş bit I had jogging the thing around trying to find a zero. Which is ok, because I then put it on the lathe and managed to snap my thread cutter on that, too <grr>. I could have re-ground that one but decided that the universe was telling me something. Like it was time to just buy a new nut, get the coffee machine fixed and have a brew.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think the rotary tool would be good enough for wood? Or if there is an after-market part that you can purchase and install?

Downloads
    Uploads

Soft wood and plastic with a small cutter running low feed rates and super high spindle speed? It'd be absolutely fine.

There are many aftermarket A axis bolt-ons available of varying quantity and cost. This would be the equivalent of the $250 eBay ones. Small, very light and bendy frame, low power motor.

Still, like everything else on this mill: if I need to make it tougher, I can make a new frame with bearings and a longer shaft and boost up to a NEMA-34 motor but still use the other bits (chuck, stepper driver etc).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good to know!

On a scale from 1-10 for the level of technical expertise this requires, with 1 being a complete newbie and 10 being a seasoned machinist, where does this machine sit? I've been looking for an affordable home CNC and this one certainly fits my budget, but I don't want something that requires constant calibrations, maintenance, and debugging. I don't necessarily want to learn how to build one from the ground up as I use it for design work and not as a hobby (although I probably will to some degree).

Do you think these inexpensive Chinese CNC's are better for tinkerers who have the time to figure them out, or are they reliable enough to meet deadlines?

Downloads
    Uploads

It sits firmly at a "1".

They email you a video to show you how to do up the dozen or so bolts that hold the pre-assembled gantry onto the pre-assembled everything else.

You plug it all in. You install Mach3 on your computer, and install the settings files they send you.

You flick the power switches, kill the reset mode that Mach3 starts in, hit the auto-zero button and watch as it all finds home.

You spend the next hour driving the thing around with the jog buttons in Mach3, giggling like an idiot. Then you chuck a couple of AAA batteries in the wireless pendant, and spend the rest of the night zooming it all around with the wireless controller, screaming out "YEEEE HAWWWW" and generally feeling like a complete boss.

Then, next day, you throw a bit of scrap timber and load up their tutorial g-code and cut some stuff. Feeling even more like a boss. This stuff is EASY!!!

Then, the next day, you try to generate your own toolpath in some CAM software off a 3D model you've made and it all turns to chaos and ruin as you realise that you aren't a boss at all. You are the "1", and you have an awful lot to learn about the process of using these things ahead of you.

But you got to that point quickly, without having to fight the machine or the setup or any of that jazz. And that's pretty nice.

When I started looking at these it was either something like this or a SIEG X3 or a bigger knee mill as a project to convert. I am so glad I bought this, even if I hit limitations very quickly it's given me a wonderful opportunity to actually get hands on time with a working machine and start learning about that process rather than spend the next six months getting frustrated with a project just to get to where I am now. They're a little pricier than the HY-3040s but that's ok, with linear rails and so on it also means I've got myself a handy collection of hardware if I decide one day that I need to get a steel frame, etc, etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that's fantastic to hear.

Is there a particular reason you got the 2200w model? From the looks of it, the 800/1500/2200 all use the same gantry and structural stuff, with the motor being the difference. Does higher power allow you to mill faster?

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the 2200W because it has proper HG20 linear rails instead of the rods on the lighter units, and because I have tooling off another mill that needs at least an ER20 collet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm... I'm seriously considering one of these now. I just don't know where I'd put it and how I'd power it. My apartment's circuits only handle 1000-1500w on each breaker and we trip it quite frequently enough as it is given how old it is. Do you think it would be practical or safe to build some kind of enclosure for it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Necessary, as they throw crap everywhere. I'm about to make a table with enclosure that lift off the frame for access. They aren't small, measure out about 1200x1000mm of floor space minimum.

Page 1 of 108 12341151101 ... LastLast