Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 102

Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2141

Thread: OmioCNC report

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

Hmm, all looks to be right.

Run through the home switches part of this link make sure it’s all set up properly if this doesn’t throw anything up then I’m afraid you will have to wait for one of the folks who know more about this sort of stuff to pitch in as I’m all out of ideas.

They’re wired up and connected properly.
    The LED’s activate in Mach so it knows they’re activated
    The refall button script is correct

Not sure why it’s not working. Have you tried turning everything off, closing Mach and restarting? Not that I can see why that would make any difference but...

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Mach3Mill_Setup.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

When it's rammed against the top and you've hit reset if you check the diagnostics page without touching anything else is the LED lit up?

While the Z is actively trying to home and stalling out does anything happen if you manually trigger the X and Y axis endstops?

Downloads
    Uploads

^^ This - I had to play a bit with the spring lever on the microswitch on Y and Z to get them to reliably trigger from carriage engagement (as opposed to pressing the lever manually) before the carriage ran out of travel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem is solved. It was a newbie oversight. When I ran it up to the top of Z to check for lights in the Diagnostic screen. I came to the realization that it was not going high enough to trip the home switch. The bellows were completely compressing and stopping the travel just before it tripped the switch. I had to add a small piece of steel to the bracket bolted to the side of the spindle mount. I adjusted the bracket and now the switch trips before the bellows is fully compressed.

When I hit Ref All Home, the Z goes to the top and trips the home switch, backs off and approaches the switch again but at a much slower pace, trips the switch and backs off and stops. It then moves on to the other 2 axises and does the same. Machine Coordinates DRO is reset to 0.

Thanks fr all your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice!

A few of us have just removed the bellows. Whilst they are at first glance a great idea, they have downsides. They limit travel by a surprising amount. They make accessing the Z rails and ballscrew for cleaning / lubrication a major exercise. And what dust etc does get through behind the bellows stays hidden so you have no idea of what unpleasantness is building up back there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Something so simple

Yes I got rid of the bellows too. The hiwin bearings and ball nut both have wipers on, so they should keep most the crap outside. Even with them removed Z travel is still prohibiting, particularly with typical jobber length drills.

Off topic but just thought I’d share, this beasty turned up today

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello and merry Christmas everyone.

I'm looking at grabbing an X6, and since I want to use UCCNC and have it connected via ethernet rather than USB as well as control other peripherals, I was wondering if dharmic and anyone else could help me out with swapping the USB controller for a UC400ETH - I'm reasonable sure I need that, rather than the 300 for my requirements.

I think this is the same BoB that dharmic used.

I was planning to use a 24v 1A 24W PSU to run those two and the following extras.

1. I'll be doing my own WC loop with some spare PC bits.
    The D5 pump runs at 8-24V max 37W.
    Should I be using 12 or 24V fans, or can the controller/breakout manage either type while running other 24V stuff?

2. This MDE lubrication system
    It's meant to be able to do on/off switching via a CNC controller, but the manual says nothing about how to do that and I'm left wondering if you're meant to just cut the plug off and wire it directly to the controller/breakout.

3. Possibly some LED lighting on the gantry.

Do I need any specific cables to hook up the BoB and controller? dharmic, pics of your setup would really help me out here, mate
    I need a paint by numbers guide to disconnecting the original stuff and then wiring all this lot together in all honesty.

If it helps, I have built my own 3D printer, which isn't too dissimilar to this, so don't lose hope in me yet It just more difficult to know what the hell you're doing when you don't have the bits in front of you.

Anyway, cheers in advance for any advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey MrSpangles

The BOB you have there looks pretty much the same as the one I used. Sadly it's long enough since I did mine that I can't remember what I used for sure. I think I went with a 12V supply for the UC400-Eth etc, but this was mostly driven by the laser module I was adding at the same time. The UC400Eth came with a DB25 connector cable IIRC so that was an easy connection. I needed to do some cable lengthening for the stepper drivers too.

Tell ya what, if I get the chance this week I'll open up the black box and take some photos.

Downloads
    Uploads

So some quick ones (easier than I thought as I never bothered putting all the cover screws on last time I was in there).

This is the case back now - I've added connectors for the laser output and a normally closed probe input, and converted the USB hole for the ethernet input for the UC400. Also drilled a couple of mounting holes.

Looking down with the lid off. The new power supply was 12V and runs the UC400 and the laser module happily. Bonus - it nestles in nicely between the stepper supply and the VFD. I did have to buy some connectors for the BoB and splice them into the stepper control cables. Not my cleanest work, I probably slapped it together to test it all and it worked, and I never got around to tidying it all up. The new control electronics all sits on a basepate I cut and drilled out of 4mm ali plate, to hold it all together and to act as a heatsink for the laser driver. The mounting to the back of the case is done with the UC400 plate.

Closer look at the power supply. Massive overkill for just running the UC400 and BoB, but about right for the laser module.

A closer look at the electronics. The ribbon cable connecting the UC400 to the BoB came with the UC400, I ~think~. There's a 5V regulator on the UC400 and I used that to power the logic side of the BoB, just need an appropriate IDC connector. Apart from that nothing too exciting, just wire in the inputs and outputs as you'd expect. The PWM output for the spindle control is converted nicely to a 0-10V signal by the BoB and also got routed out to the laser for a little bit of power control.

This is how I did the Normally Closed probe input - it's just a little FET and pullup resistor running in parallel to the normally open input. Saved me stuffing around with the ports&pins in Mach3 every time I wanted to use the tool height probe or switch to the touch probe.

Hope this is of some help, if you need any more details let me know before I put it all back together on the weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that still the hong nam BOB dharmic?

I am thinking of converting my omio into a dedicated laser or plasma.

Downloads
    Uploads

According to the silk screen on the back of the board, it's a "GTeam Design MACH3 Interface board" 5 axis for under a tenner I reckon they're all much the same

Downloads
    Uploads

Also - serious? To me, the omio mechanicals seem a little overkill for a cheapo laser and too small to be useful for plasma. I'd keep it as a 2nd machine or flog it to fund a bigger laser, personally.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well my thinking is this. I already have the machine frame, electrics, the nice tooling plate bed giving a decent flat(ish) starting point and all that built into an enclosure. The enclosure could fit a slightly larger frame inside but I wouldn’t get much for selling and buying or building new will cost a lot. If need be I can build a smaller and lighter gantry that will move quicker and easier. The VFD can be repurposed for my floor drill to get rid of the beaten up reeves drive which vibrates like a bee-atch and starts to melt the belt when running for a couple of minutes, I don’t use the drill for heavy drilling only for tapping small M3 > M5 holes in sheet and drilling out broken bolts so the loss of torque would be inconsequential.

So there would be very little waste, just the spindle (which I’m sure I’ll find another use for) and maybe the extrusion that forms the gantry and overall cost for the project wouldn’t be all that high.

The main thing I want it for is for prepping aluminium sheets ready for machining on a fixture and for cutting the odd custom one off/small run sheet work we need to do, both of which will easily fit inside the omio working area. Laser is my preference but I know they’re not the best for cutting aluminium. Need to do some research there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

dharmic, that's a great help. Thank you.

This image also helps me understand what's going on in there:

A few more questions

- Are those 5v out wires going to the terminals I've circled in yellow? Or are they 'stuffed' into the corresponding pins in the BoB IDC?
    - Where are the ground wires from the steppers disappearing to in yours?
    - Is this the kind of IDC connector I'd be after?
    - Any idea what the plugs you got for the stepper cables are called. If I can find them, I'll just crimp them, as I hate splicing cables.

Downloads
    Uploads

1. Yep, 5V into the PC5V (either one) and its ground wire to PCGND. That's all the USB port does on these, by the way, provide 5V.
    2. No stepper ground connections. Rather, using the white connectors, this happens:
    - The left pin on the connector (5V) goes to the STEP+ and DIRN+ inputs on the stepper driver.
    - The 2nd pin (CLK) goes to STEP-.
    - The 3rd pin (CW) goes to DIRN-.
    - The 4th pin and the enable pins on the stepper driver are not connected. If you wanted to add the enable function you'd need a 2nd BoB and 2nd full adapter cable with the UC400 to get the extra pins.

:edit: Actually, without having the laser drive as well, you have a spare output or two you could wire out to all the steppers. But not having them hasn't caused me any problems, anyway. I can't even remember if enables were connected on the original YongNuo USB board.

Then set the pin polarity in Ports and Pins to active low for these guys.
    3. Yup, that's the kind of connector.
    4. JST XH series, same as used on the balancing ports of a lot of RC lithium battery pack chargers. And a pack of 4 connectors and a bunch of pins will set you back under a pound from RS. Just remember you need to splice that 5V into the +ve input pins at some point in the cable.

Last edited by dharmic; 01-01-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brilliant, cheers!
    That should be plenty to get me on my way, but I expect I'll have more stuff to ask once I've got it all in front of me.

Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

No probs. Discovered that the dodgy blobs of sparky tape were not covering the joins (they're properly heatsink wrapped), but to hold loops of excess cable. Time to break out the bebby cable ties, do some routing and clean it all up. I will probably end up having to re-splice some of the cables to a neater length. Mentioning it to save you from making the same mistake, ie all cables the same length. Measure your cable routes before you make the cables up and it will be a lot better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,
    Hope you all had a lovely Xmas and New Years..
    I'm still wondering if anyone knows how to get the spindle up to speed before the job starts.
    The delay feature seems to do nothing.
    cheers
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NickB00 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Hope you all had a lovely Xmas and New Years..
    I'm still wondering if anyone knows how to get the spindle up to speed before the job starts.
    The delay feature seems to do nothing.
    cheers
    Nick
    Hi Nick. Refer to earlier post about changing acceleration time in the VFD. Don’t go too nuts with it as obviously it draws a lot more when starting, so you don’t want to set it too low and give it too much sauce.

Are you using F360 and the mach3mill post? If so I can try have a look at the post when I get chance and show you where to put in a G04. Not really difficult to figure out on your own when you study it a little bit either if you want to crack on with that. The post processors are written in JavaScript.

Downloads
    Uploads

G'day Mmpie, I am using Artcam which writes its own G-Code. Have not started using F360 yet, going to soon. There is a setting in M3 that you can set spindle time to spin up, but does not seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Hi Nick. Refer to earlier post about changing acceleration time in the VFD. Don’t go too nuts with it as obviously it draws a lot more when starting, so you don’t want to set it too low and give it too much sauce.

Are you using F360 and the mach3mill post? If so I can try have a look at the post when I get chance and show you where to put in a G04. Not really difficult to figure out on your own when you study it a little bit either if you want to crack on with that. The post processors are written in JavaScript.

Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105 ... LastLast