Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 87

Page 87 of 108 FirstFirst ... 37778485868788899097 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2141

Thread: OmioCNC report

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

[QUOTE=madeinoz67;2183442]I purchased the orange box and very happy with it. Very easy to use and no need for pc or Mach 3 license, basically it’s a rebadged ddcsv1.1. is video of one. I use branrights fusion post and works a treat. I export straight to usb. You can pick these up down the track and wire it in if you want to/. My space is limited so I didn’t want another pc.

I want to use my office computer to do the cad/cam stuff and then go to the garage and insert my usb and go from there. I watched the video (thanks!!) and have a better understanding, although not fully, of what this ddcsv unit does. Do you have a link to branrights fusion post?

My only real con is if you want to do say surface probing for pc work then it won’t be any good. It has basic z axis probe but that’s it. That said there are some users on a forum I found that is hacking the firmware to add extra functionality

OK so can you set XYZ zero on a workpiece with the box or manually off the machine?

Also go foe the 2.2kw you’ll love the bigger chuck size

There is no mention of opting for the 2.2kW spindle anywhere. Only says 800W 4 bearings air cooled spindle. Do you have to ask for this and is it $$extra?
    The 2.2 sounds great but is it overkill for the frame trying to mill aluminium/steel?

I purchased it all at the time as it was easier than wishing I should have bought it down the track. Brain right has a couple of videos showing dial engraving using the standalone controller and 4th axis

Yeah I watched that. Thanks for the info, he does not really show how he controls everything from start to finish using the box though, that would be great!

As per others I went for the more expensive omio due to bearings and it not using some as all the rest. I had found a cheaper one that I thought was good value. I had done quite a bit of research and even placed an order with an Ali supplier,however as soon as I placed the order I received a message that the particular one was not available however he would so me a fantastic deal on another one. When I asked for photos etc of under carriage and bearings I wasn’t impressed and danced for full refund. The omio is a “better” than most for the price point and I’m very happy with it.

Good move! I think this is definitely the way to go with Omio, a bit more research though before I pick one,
    many thanks!!
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

even placed an order with an Ali supplier,however as soon as I placed the order I received a message that the particular one was not available however he would so me a fantastic deal on another one.
    Standard 'come in sucker' up-selling gambit. Avoid ANYone who does this.

2.2 kW vs 800 W spindle
    Generally, we have seen that the 2.2 kW spindles can burn out fairly quickly. Yes, 2.2 kW, but only for 30 seconds. They need that sort of power to get the 24,000 rpm they claim. They generally cannot deliver that power to the cutter. An additional REAL problem is that they can't deliver any power worth mentioning at anything below about 8,000 rpm. If you want to cut anything hard, like aluminium. you will need to be able to drop to around 3,000 rpm. They may be fine with LOTS of fast water cooling for short cuts in softwood or MDF.

Surface probing
    A lot of the cheaper Chinese engines simply cannot do this. There are fudges, but they are fudges.

</bias>
    Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    If you want to cut anything hard, like aluminium. you will need to be able to drop to around 3,000 rpm. They may be fine with LOTS of fast water cooling for short cuts in softwood or MDF.
    No, you don't need to go down to 3000 RPM for aluminium, and I expected you to know that... Granted, I never use 1"-cutters with mine, but I never run less than 10000 RPM. I mostly use 6mm cutters and I've mainly cut aluminium with my Omio X6-2200L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    No, you don't need to go down to 3000 RPM for aluminium, and I expected you to know that... Granted, I never use 1"-cutters with mine, but I never run less than 10000 RPM. I mostly use 6mm cutters and I've mainly cut aluminium with my Omio X6-2200L.
    I've got limited experience cutting Al, so far. But as soon as one goes from HSS cutters to carbide, the SFM you can get is so high that, I agree, there's no need for those low RPMs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Yeah, come on Roger. 10,000RPM easy with 4mm HSS cutters, something like 18000 with carbide. At that speed the motors last a lot longer - mine's clocked up bulk hours now with no wear/burnout probs at all (touch wood).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NickB00 View Post
    Hey dharmic,
    OK now I get it, the ethernet unit sounds like the way to go and you can add more stuff like a laser, but if you stick to the YongNuo USB
    then you would recommend to add a $5 breakout board from ebay, can you please point me to one? So do you replace the YongNuo with the ebay one?
    I understand about the guide rails vs the curtain rods, I completely agree that the guide rails really help stiffen the frame, so worth the money!
    Thanks for explaining the CAD CAM Stuff. So the Orange box is grbl based? Didnt know that.
    thanks for the info.
    Nick
    Hold your roll, cowboy, I may not have been clear.

You don't need the breakout with the supplied USB board, it's integrated into the the thing.
    linear rails don't necessarily stiffen the frame, what I meant was they don't distort like the curtain rods do in the middle of travel because they're supported by the frame across the whole length. And I have no idea what the orange box is running inside. I just meant that they were both examples of machine motion controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'm impressed. Yeah, with 4 mm carbide cutters even more likely.
    Yes, I am using bigger cutters (up to 16 mm) for some of my work. And some fly cutters too. (Plus some diamond tooling up to 35 mm diameter on basalt, but I don't think the forces are that high with that sort of work.)

Genuine question: what sort of tolerance can you hold with the Omio at 10k+RPM in good aluminium with a 6 mm carbide cutter?

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I might point out my first spindle died from an accident, and the second one was an absolute crock of sh**e off eBay and was never likely to last long.

Regarding 'tolerance' I couldn't tell you. I haven't measured all that much actually but I have made one piece (simple rectangle with bolt holes) that was bang on (according to calipers) in X and Y and only .01mm out in Z. I think you could expect a one off part to fall within about 0.2mm or so, no idea how it would hold on a batch of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a pic of 10mm 3 flute roughing cutter at 10,000rpm 2000mm/min, 10mm DoC, 1mm axial engagement.

This is the finished plate, all done with between 3-10mm 3 flute cutters and rpm somewhere between 10-16k.

I would overall say tolerance is better than 0.1mm for most parts I make, albeit after some tedious calibration on the machine and using a strategy of light finish pass + spring pass.

The best I’ve managed was for some small but really critical spacers, I managed to hold a tolerance of iirc 0.004mm on the critical dimension by cutting on the same portion of the Ballscrew (measured using micrometer).

Last edited by zeeflyboy; 05-21-2018 at 04:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

^ I reckon I'm holding about the same, about 0.1mm, with a 0.1mm spring pass to clean up at the end coming out pretty smooth and sounding like it's evenly engaged along the entire pass.

Downloads
    Uploads

For such a cheap and Chinese machine I've gotta say the drive system is pretty good. I've measured movements from 0.01mm up to 10mm on my dial indicator at various parts of the travel and they've all been spot on.

I think the biggest problem with holding tolerances over a batch of parts would be the spindle, even with a healthy spray of mist coolant the lower part of the shaft can still get pretty warm, I think the water must only reach down far enough to keep the motor cool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. For many purposes 0.1 mm would be quite sufficient. Yes, I would agree with the use of a spring pass - I do too.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

even 10k is pretty low if you've got the right cutters. I think the slowest I run is around 16k with a 1/8" 2 flute, typically run between 20 and 24k with 1/4" Oflute and 2 flute cutters. Plenty of times even then I'm running out of RPM, I wouldn't run larger than a 1/4" cutter though. I don't do any tight tolerance stuff on it that I've bothered checking, but taking a nice light finish pass is mandatory

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah - I am making stuff to work with liquid propane on a semi-production basis. There is no room for mistakes with that stuff. I aim for 0.01 mm accuracy, and get close.
    Different worlds.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think anybody will be using an OMIO for necessarily tight tolerance stuff. You can make it make parts to within 0.01 as I've done it as mentioned above, that part was the first thing I sold and I was keen to do as good a job as possible, that included measuring the cutter diameter and changing to a brand new polished tool for the finish pass. It was long winded and lasted for about 3 parts and ultimately unnecessary as there was no obvious improvement to the finish anyway.

In terms of speeds I regularly drill between 6k to 10k and mill at 10k+, I usually use a cheap 10mm 3 flute at 10450 rpm because it seems to chatter less than 6mm tools. I used to use 24k with a 6mm single flute all the time which I believe is the reason the bearings started to complain on my first spindle. I have used around 6k on an 8mm 4 flute bit to do a finish pass on aluminium because at the time it was the only tool I had with enough flute length to go full depth. It did it happily without issue (and created a nice finish too).

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys,
    Looks like Omio have cut me off from their website and wont let me look around or buy anything.
    I may have looked like a serial pest hovering around their website putting items into the cart to see what options
    are available for each machine and to see how much delivery would be to Australia over the last couple of weeks.
    I have tried to email them but that did not work. Oh well looks like an ebay machine for me unless someone else knows of a
    seller of similar quality machines that they can point me in the direction of.
    Oh well, its their loss. Not happy.
    cheers
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NickB00 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Looks like Omio have cut me off from their website and wont let me look around or buy anything.
    I may have looked like a serial pest hovering around their website putting items into the cart to see what options
    are available for each machine and to see how much delivery would be to Australia over the last couple of weeks.
    I have tried to email them but that did not work. Oh well looks like an ebay machine for me unless someone else knows of a
    seller of similar quality machines that they can point me in the direction of.
    Oh well, its their loss. Not happy.
    cheers
    Nick
    Doesn't sound right. They'll be your best friend and promise you the world til you give them money.

Then they'll cut you off.

Downloads
    Uploads

hovering around their website putting items into the cart to see what options

I hate it when you have to do that. I tend to leave such web sites and not return.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Dudes,
    thanks for your support but I just tried to buy off them again and it went through.
    Looks like they let me in again.
    So I just ordered a X4-800L machine with 800W air cooled spindle, with Paypal,
    so if they decide to play funny buggers at least I have a chance of getting a refund.
    Hopefully though that is not the case, they look like a respectful crowd to deal with,
    maybe I just overstayed my visit with them?
    Will post back when I get him.
    cheers and thanks
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

Talking of accuracy, it just so happens I had to make something with a bit of accuracy today. The bushings are an interference fit so the holes needed to be about right on. I milled them slightly undersize (9.98mm) to start with and kept skimming 0.01mm off the diameter until a cutter shank that measured 9.998mm could be pushed into the hole. This was rather predictably at 10.01mm. Then I turned the bushings at 10.04mm OD, I didn't really know what size to make them as I've never made anything to fit like this before so just had a guess. Bushings went in the freezer, jig went on the radiator, 20 minutes later voila they fit together nice and snug.

So yes you can do quite tight work with it.

Page 87 of 108 FirstFirst ... 37778485868788899097 ... LastLast