Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 52

Page 52 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2141

Thread: OmioCNC report

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

After doing some test cuts I noticed that the tank got pretty warm, maybe ~30C (I stupidly forgot to measure actual temp), which I hadn't expected. I left it to cool down a while, measured 24C, and started just the pump - after ~1h I measured 27C, so the pump itself is heating up the coolant :s Is that normal? It does make a little more noise than I remembered, though that may be because of how it's mounted (it used to sit on its suckers, which provided some damping).

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    I'm eventually going to go PC cooling with radiator and what not, but only because space is an issue and the bucket is getting in the way.
    This is probably what I'll do eventually as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone ever put an extension on their tool setter? If I measure correctly, it's a 2.1mm-ish ID and a 5.5mm-ish OD. Amazon has one that's 6ft. I really just need another foot or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Kilroy~

Downloads
    Uploads

The thing only has a 140mm working height, what are you talking about another foot or two?

I have made an extension for my tool setter - lets me zero the tool tip at 60mm (the centre of the 4th axis). Just cut a small pocket in a lump of spare ali to fit over the standard one and lock into place, then faced the other end. Works good.

Downloads
    Uploads

The cord on this thing is too short! Has anyone tried an extension?

~Kilroy~

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahahahah

I thought you meant an extension like this, but a couple feet long!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_2218-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Ahahahah

I thought you meant an extension like this, but a couple feet long!
    Hahahaha! Yes, now I see the confusion.

That's a pretty smart idea you have there. Might give that a try when I use the 4th axis. OmioCNC report

~Kilroy~

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, easy to do the extension. Get a bit of single core shielded cable, chop the existing lead and splice in the length of the new stuff. Making an extension means you need new plug and socket AND you've just introduced a new potential failure point where the existing lead plugged into the extension cord.

I just finished making up a 3D touch probe (a spin on the 3 pairs of bearing ball style) and its cord is about 4m long because I get annoyed by the short lead on the tool setter. No problems at all with the extra length.

And, folks, I gotta say - a touch probe is a beautiful thing to add to your list of projects. This together with the G31 command makes such a huge difference when I'm setting up stock to cut - can very easily get stuff dialled in without all that mucking around with wobblers etc.

I need to remove, re-straighten, brace and re-install my bed but now I'll be able to use the probe to get the bed shimmed up so it's properly parallel with X and Y axes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_2219-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cincron View Post
    Hahahaha! Yes, now I see the confusion.

That's a pretty smart idea you have there. Might give that a try when I use the 4th axis. OmioCNC report

Don't make the dick move I did when you make yours. See the -0.9 / 59.1mm markings? Yeah. That's there to remind me that, when I measured off the 60mm, I did it from the lip at the bottom rather than the bottom of the pocket which was 0.9mm. So I got it bang on the wrong mark and now have to adjust every time I zero out. D'OH.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

I need to extend mine also, as my machine is in an enclosure I'm just going to put a socket in the enclosure wall and make a new cable to go from the wall to the black box. That way I don't have to keep unplugging it every time to close the door.

Dharmic I remember you mentioning setting up a laser, how far did you get with that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Dharmic I remember you mentioning setting up a laser, how far did you get with that?
    Done. I needed to replace the YongNuo USB controller to get the proper output, also had to create a little inverter circuit to get the PWM signal right for the laser control module. Also hit delay issues with Mach3 so had to sort out an alternative macro to trigger the laser, and any CAM output I now need to search and replace M3 with M110 or whatever it was I used. Took a bit of messing around but it goes well now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Done. I needed to replace the YongNuo USB controller to get the proper output, also had to create a little inverter circuit to get the PWM signal right for the laser control module. Also hit delay issues with Mach3 so had to sort out an alternative macro to trigger the laser, and any CAM output I now need to search and replace M3 with M110 or whatever it was I used. Took a bit of messing around but it goes well now.
    Nice. What size laser did you use and how have you mounted it? I'm toying with the idea of getting a small laser I can leave mounted on permanently for burning graphics into wood.

Most people's retrofits that I've seen are high powered lasers and complicated set ups with mirrors and all sorts, I'm not interested in anything like that.

I've done a small amount of research on it, I think people have made post processes to save you the trouble of having to do all that.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a little 3W blue (445nm?) LED module. I 3D printed a double collar which clamps it to the side of the spindle motor and made up a heatsink for it.

If I start using it much more I won't be stuffing around with the search and replace. I'll either create a separate post which uses the laser macro to fire up or create another machine profile under Mach3 for the laser and change its m3 macro instead. Lack of use and laziness are the only reasons I haven't bothered so far.

I've really only used it for one job - cutting the felt separators that go in the multi media filter on my scuba compressor. And that job (it was only circles!) I did directly in the MDI anyway

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

Nice. Sounds exactly what I had in mind - cheap, quick, throw it on sort of thing.

Laziness has driven the idea, good results can be had with a spindle but it's a pain having to seal and paint and sand and repaint and resand and so on. Let a laser burn in the contrast, job done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, easy to do the extension. Get a bit of single core shielded cable, chop the existing lead and splice in the length of the new stuff. Making an extension means you need new plug and socket AND you've just introduced a new potential failure point where the existing lead plugged into the extension cord.

I just finished making up a 3D touch probe (a spin on the 3 pairs of bearing ball style) and its cord is about 4m long because I get annoyed by the short lead on the tool setter. No problems at all with the extra length.

And, folks, I gotta say - a touch probe is a beautiful thing to add to your list of projects. This together with the G31 command makes such a huge difference when I'm setting up stock to cut - can very easily get stuff dialled in without all that mucking around with wobblers etc.

I need to remove, re-straighten, brace and re-install my bed but now I'll be able to use the probe to get the bed shimmed up so it's properly parallel with X and Y axes.

Nice!

I went the lazy route and bought a lovely touch probe - the thing that I particularly like is that the contacts are tungsten carbide and submerged in di-electric oil to prevent oxidation or wear issues on the contacts. Should keep it reliable for years to come.

Have to agree that they are extremely useful!

It's a 3D touch probe called the TPA2 by Kurokesu...

Managed to dial the concentricity at the tip dialled in to a consistent +/- 0.002mm so 0.004mm total.... just pushing hard on the spindle causes more variation than that on this machine so I think that is good enough for now! That's mm not inches!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Nice!

I went the lazy route and bought a lovely touch probe - the thing that I particularly like is that the contacts are tungsten carbide and submerged in di-electric oil to prevent oxidation or wear issues on the contacts. Should keep it reliable for years to come.

Have to agree that they are extremely useful!

It's a 3D touch probe called the TPA2 by Kurokesu...

Managed to dial the concentricity at the tip dialled in to a consistent +/- 0.002mm so 0.004mm total.... just pushing hard on the spindle causes more variation than that on this machine so I think that is good enough for now! That's mm not inches!

Interesting. How does that gizmo work? I assume it needs a metal surface to make a connection with?

I've just been finding part zero by measuring and marking the centre of the stock and jogging the spindle to it with one of the supplied engraving bits. Quick and works fine for me.

I have been thinking I'll need something like this sooner or later though for finding the centre of circles.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What you describe is fine if you are just positioning raw stock for a simple cutting operation.

If however you are doing ops on pre-existing parts or two or more sided machining that requires accurate re-zeroing between positions then you really want a more accurate method of defining zero.

These sort of probes work on any material (well, as long as its fairly firm... soft squishy foam might be difficult to do accurately), they aren't relying on electrical contact between the probe tip and work piece. Basically they are a rigid probe with a 3 pronged top inside the probe that sits on contact balls. Any slight movement of the probe tip breaks the circuit so as it contacts the work piece the signal is broken (so it's a NC circuit, the opposite of what the supplied touch plate is).

Downloads
    Uploads

I see. I assume it plugs into the control board and works in a similar way to the touch probe whereby motion stops once contact is made? If so is it compatible with omio's standard electronics?

Are there any noticeable artefacts from two sided machining where the two 'halves' meet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasty, zeeflyboy!

I've used a Ø2mm carbon fibre rod as my touch probe and HSS rods as the three bridges internally. Grubscrews underneath let me dial away any runout at the sample point on the probe. By checking either side of a known diameter rod I see that I'm getting a very, very consistent 0.21mm deflection in the tip when it detects regardless of orientation and I can bang it against a fixed point all day and it keeps reading zero. Which, of course, only means that its repeatability is at worst within the repeatability of the machine and its step resolution. But that's heaps for what I do.

Mmmpie - you touch that tip from any side or even the bottom and it trips. Plugs into the same socket as the tool zero point, in my case I had to change the active low setting in the ports & pins settings which is going to be a royal PITA when I need to swap between the two. UCCNC, which supports two touch probes, starts looking like better value for money every day

Anyway, these probes are great when used in conjunction with the G31 op. Works just like G01 (with appropriate X, Y &/- Z destination coordinates and an F feedrate) except that all motion stops when the touch probe signal activates. A simple macro can head in a direction until it hits, back off a few mm and come in again much slower to pick up the edge, then set the zero in that direction if required. Or do it against front, back, left and right edges of a pocket to find the centre of a circle. Or do it every centimetre in a scan of an area to do a 3D point cloud digitisation of a surface. There's a lot you can do with these guys.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

Tasty, zeeflyboy!

I've used a Ø2mm carbon fibre rod as my touch probe and HSS rods as the three bridges internally. Grubscrews underneath let me dial away any runout at the sample point on the probe. By checking either side of a known diameter rod I see that I'm getting a very, very consistent 0.21mm deflection in the tip when it detects regardless of orientation and I can bang it against a fixed point all day and it keeps reading zero. Which, of course, only means that its repeatability is at worst within the repeatability of the machine and its step resolution. But that's heaps for what I do.

Mmmpie - you touch that tip from any side or even the bottom and it trips. Plugs into the same socket as the tool zero point, in my case I had to change the active low setting in the ports & pins settings which is going to be a royal PITA when I need to swap between the two. UCCNC, which supports two touch probes, starts looking like better value for money every day

Anyway, these probes are great when used in conjunction with the G31 op. Works just like G01 (with appropriate X, Y &/- Z destination coordinates and an F feedrate) except that all motion stops when the touch probe signal activates. A simple macro can head in a direction until it hits, back off a few mm and come in again much slower to pick up the edge, then set the zero in that direction if required. Or do it against front, back, left and right edges of a pocket to find the centre of a circle. Or do it every centimetre in a scan of an area to do a 3D point cloud digitisation of a surface. There's a lot you can do with these guys.
    Does it have functionality to probe z height? Because you could just measure probe stick out and then tool stick out once installed and offset accordingly. Although I'm fairly sure you'd have already have thought about that if it was possible...

Downloads
    Uploads

Not really, I wouldn't trust the repeatability of the Z between when the probe was in vs when the tool was in. Too many unknowns with how the collet and nut might interfere or even pull the tool in during tightening. That tool setter for height is a pretty neat way of doing it.

Looking at that TPA2 I know I would have gone "Nah, make one myself" at $220. Looking back now that I have made one myself, the TPA2 is probably worth every cent - for the hours I've burned making mine I could have just gone to work instead of dicking around in front of the computer and in the shed and bought five of the bloody things. Plus it's half the size of mine, has the ruby tip, has less deflection, is probably more accurate, has the oil bath, etc, etc, etc.

Usual story. But I learned some things and had some fun and I can point at a nasty looking lump of crap in my machine and say "I dun dat, an it works gud." So I'm happy.

Page 52 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562102 ... LastLast