Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 4

Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

Yes that was my intention - earth wire from spindle to "E" on VFD, and a wire from "E" to the EMI filter which is where the earth from the mains input is connected.

it's about time Yoocnc came out with an ethernet board to compete with smoothstepper, bypass the USB problems entirely.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking machine you've got there....Well half of it at least.
    Seems a lot sturdier in the gantry than my X6, it's really good that at least one manufacturer takes some of the wishes of the buyers to heart.

Speaking of the electronic box.
    I totally redid my box, see the big X6-1500GT thread,
    Posted that last week.

On the note of grounding:
    I work at a big petrochemical plant, so I spoke to the electricians about grounding of VFD:s.
    What they says, and all the manuals I've read.
    You ground the VFD at both ends, and connect the screen at both ends to.

The screen has different purposes for different applications.
    In the case of a VFD you want to keep the crap in the cable, manly because you get a lot of it from the drive and motor.
    So this is not to disturb other cables and electronics by induction.

Connecting the screen to only one end is done to keep things out, if you connect both ends here it can act as an antenna and create ground loops.

I changed my spindle cables to Ölflex 4x0.75mm2, and connected both ends to ground.
    By doing that I ground my machine through the spindle, which raises the safety.
    Connected the spindle cable ground wire and screen to the E on the VFD, the feed cable going back to my central ground rail.
    I also opted to remove the connector in the chassis of the control box, mainly to keep the grounding and screen intact all the way up to the VFD.

That they are saying that the manufacturer is wrong is probably somewhat a way to cover their own behinds.
    Sure USB is really a crappy interface when it comes to real time applications, low priority and sensitive to other hardware stealing resources.
    RJ45 would be a lot better here.

That being said, since I used a latency checker in my PC to get rid of things that disturbed my USB connection I haven't had a single problem with my connection.
    Both before and after the rebuild of my cabinet.

I actually think that my stepper motors got a little less noisy since everything got grounded, although I did not change the cables to them.

Well those are my opinions at least.

/Patrik

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The other half just arrived

Just about to put it together, I have to say it's a nice quality bit of kit so far. Table still has flex due to being made of relatively thin and unsupported extrusions (if you press down on them you can see them deflect and they actually squeak as the rub against each other), but I have plans to make a brace to attach underneath and a tooling plate on top - should stiffen that up a huge amount.

The rest however is looking quite promising. They've obviously put some thought into it and those beefy HG20 rails with proper wipers etc are making me a little hot under the collar. Just bought a grease gun to keep them running tip top... It was nice to note that they've machined the contact areas on the Gantry legs to help keep everything squared off.

Cheers for that input - good to hear you aren't having any issues after grounding it properly.

Dharmic - just on the off chance you see this before Grace gets my email, any chance you could forward me the setup files? My email is est.1983 (squiggly thing) gmail.com - would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Yes that was my intention - earth wire from spindle to "E" on VFD, and a wire from "E" to the EMI filter which is where the earth from the mains input is connected.

it's about time Yoocnc came out with an ethernet board to compete with smoothstepper, bypass the USB problems entirely.
    No, don't do that. Wire both the VFD and spindle to the frame/case of the box. Run the earth wire from the mains to that point too, and a separate wire from the EMI filter to that point. Called "star point" wiring and the idea is that everything gets referenced to a single point rather than daisy chaining it out where, when you have some current running, even small impedances in the wiring can cause significant voltage shifts which play havoc with the control side of things.

Plus, if it goes to crap, all those separate ground wires are a lot easier to mix and match to try different combinations.

Email enroute. :edit: sorry dude, email not enroute, it's about 10MB worth of stuff by the time you get everything Grace will throw at you via their web or dropbox.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah ok got what you mean.

Thanks for trying - Still no reply from Grace yet so I think I'm probably stuffed for today on that front. Did they send you a link to download everything?

Thanks

how do you post a question on here

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

like that....

Downloads
    Uploads

You just did, vancrocker35.

If you mean something not specific to this topic, head to the area that best applies and create a new thread with your question on it.

zeeflyboy - it was two or three links by the time I got documentation, samples and driver.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

While I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the setup files I just got done mounting the coolant blocks - as you say, simple to mount to the spindle mount itself... I just drilled and tapped 2 m4 holes each side and mounted directly. Doesn't cause any issues with X axis travel even with the spindle mount at the bottom.

Interesting read - definitely paying attention to this thread. I'm also in the process of setting up the exact same machine in my shop.

The first thing I noticed is that, after some assembly and disassembly, the X axis binds slightly on the far ends. With the ball screw disconnected, it slides well on the rails through the whole range. I suspect I need to shim out the ball screw block a bit.

I'll post some more pictures and measurements later today.

Aaron

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice one, zeeflyboy, that's eggzackery what I had pictured

akluminus: I haven't noticed it on mine, travel seems pretty good all the way until it bashes into the ends if I don't have soft limits switched on. Hope you get it sorted quick n easy!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are those misters?
    Your own design?

Downloads
    Uploads

Search eBay for "CNC Mist" and there's a few flavours - similar to this: NEW Mist Lubrication Coolant System FR Metal CNC Lathe Milling Grinding Drilling | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got these ones - cheap as chips! Don't know how well they work yet though.

Online Shop Wholesale Price Mist Coolant Lubrication Spray System for CNC Lathe Milling Drill Grind Machine|Aliexpress Mobile

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been experimenting with my own take on a "fogbuster", it works like a charm.
    But needs a makeover, but for that price I almost couldn't buy the materials I need to make a new one.

I wonder if the principle is like the fogbuster, meaning that it's a venture and it pulls the tiny droplets with it in the form of a really fine mist straight at the mixblock.
    Or if it's more like a paintsprayer, water and air is mixed at the outlet.
    Anyone got any input?

I'm really interested in these, so a tiny review as to leaks, mistquality, droplets etcetera would be greatly appreciated!
    The best would of course be a video of the way it sprays.

My thinking with these is to combine these with a block for flood cooling, this way I can run whatever I like.
    Each has it's benefits.
    I will mill a ring with threads that's mounted on top of the spindle body, and that will hold block on both sides.
    Just as you have mounted on you machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mixes at the nozzle with a Venturi.

I'm planning on basically building a fog buster style system with pressurised coolant container rather than relying on the Venturi suction. Will just use a swimming pool filter housing like fog buster do... then just leave the air side fully open and tweak the coolant side until it's just barely wetting the surface of the material. Alternatively you can turn off the air and open up the coolant leaving you with flood coolant... Should be pretty versatile.

We'll see how it works eventually - still haven't decided on a. Compressor yet.

Last edited by zeeflyboy; 09-25-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Not sure if I should keep posting these updates here or start my own thread, but the machines are the exact same and its about bringing them online.

Anyway, I had disconnected the ball screw and the Y axis slides back and forth fairly nicely on the linear rails. But when connected to the ball screw, it binds on the last 2-3" of travel on both ends. After disconnecting the block that that the ball screw nut rides in from the cross brace, I was able to measure about 0.006" of space between the two on one end, and about 0.009" on the other end. Enough to rock it back and forth easily, so I'll add a large shim between the two. I think I'll set it up so that the home switch end doesn't bind (the one with the larger space), since those two are far enough apart than I'm going to have to pick one end or the other. That set up the Y axis decently. What this needs are bearing carriers that can be adjusted, but the bearings are fixed in the end plates.

Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-2015-09-25-10-42-54-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so guys, one thing I've just run into - greasing.

Got myself a grease gun and loaded it up with some lithium grease... unfortunately theres no way I'm getting the nozzle onto those grease nipples behind the Z-axis - it's too fat to get in there... what are you using (if anything) to get at those grease nipples behind the Z carriage?

ak - have you spoken to omio about it?

I don't appear to have any binding, so I would suggest it's not normal. Maybe they can offer some recourse (e.g. new gantry arms)

zeeflyboy: I have not yet emailed them about it. Right now, its setup pretty well at least on that axis. Not sure about lubrication either, those fittings are difficult to get to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Came across this little thing, looks like it would be perfect... So far I've only found it on German Ebay though so need to see if they'll ship abroad if I can't find anything similar.

Grease fitting without space for the grease gun coupler | elise-robert.de

EDIT - Managed to order one from ebay, €24 delivered to the UK... hope it works otherwise

Last edited by zeeflyboy; 09-26-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast