Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 3

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

Oh!! Hope that's it and you don't have to make new cabling or other. Seems if they are familiar with grounding etc they would be addressing it rather than repeat it to the next guy and the next and so on. Any such luck that this was the problem and you are getting some feedback through that cable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Only if it was shorting a driver out randomly and that was pulling down the card's voltage supply too. A very long shot, but investigating that is the most valid form of procrastination I can think of at the moment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any news on your troubleshooting?

I'm a happy X6-1500GT user and I'm hovering over the "buy" option on the 2200L - I ran into some rigidity issues on the 1500GT when cutting aluminium regularly which I think the 2200L will solve. The former works ok, but I'd like to be able to get a better surface finish and more aggressive cuts.

I'm tempted to give the 4th axis a try this time round, but you've put me off lol. What do you think about just adding the driver on for $50 and then picking up something like this separately:

CNC Router Rotational Axis,4th A Axis,4-Jaw Claw 100mm Chuck,NEMA 34 +Tailstock | eBay

Looks much more substantial than the one offered with the 4 axis machine. Not quite sure on the specs whether it is an actual 0.6deg per step motor, or whether they are already including the 3:1 drive ratio and then calling a 1.8deg stepper a 0.6deg.

One more question - on the X6-1500GT (or at least on the version they were shipping a couple of years ago) there was a mismatch between RPM commanded in mach3 and Hz reported on the VFD due to a mismatch in the voltage to pwm range. Did they remedy this? Eg if you set 12,000rpm in mach3, does the display ramp up to 200hz?

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Not yet, zeeflyboy - I've only had a chance to do a couple of short runs so far and this issue only presented itself the first time after about 4h runtime.

It sounds like the solution is pretty easy now that someone else has done the hard exploratory work, figure an extra thirty quid in your calcs for a spindle cable replacement and a couple of chokes.

I think another 4th is the right way to go. If I had my time again I'd buy their 4th stepper driver and get something a bit meatier for the 4th axis, possibly something with a low backlash worm drive. But the one you've got shown there looks a hell of a lot better. Just make sure their driver can handle the bigger motor is all.

I haven't paid much attention to the VFD spindle, I'll be honest. But I'll be checking it next time I fire it up, now that you've mentioned it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Any news on your troubleshooting?

I'm a happy X6-1500GT user and I'm hovering over the "buy" option on the 2200L - I ran into some rigidity issues on the 1500GT when cutting aluminium regularly which I think the 2200L will solve. The former works ok, but I'd like to be able to get a better surface finish and more aggressive cuts.

I'm tempted to give the 4th axis a try this time round, but you've put me off lol. What do you think about just adding the driver on for $50 and then picking up something like this separately:

CNC Router Rotational Axis,4th A Axis,4-Jaw Claw 100mm Chuck,NEMA 34 +Tailstock | eBay

Looks much more substantial than the one offered with the 4 axis machine. Not quite sure on the specs whether it is an actual 0.6deg per step motor, or whether they are already including the 3:1 drive ratio and then calling a 1.8deg stepper a 0.6deg.

Cheers
    You might want to find the part number of that stepper before buying it as a lot of these NEMA23/34 steppers are horrendously high inductance, which directly translates to equivalently high power supplies which can't be supplied reasonably for cost or design practical limit issues. This usually means the stepper is underpowered and weak as p**s in practice on rotary work.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Colour me surprised, but today I had to cut a 30mm hole out of a bit of 1/4" mild steel plate and didn't have a bit to suit. So I created a toolpath, took a deep breath, crossed my fingers and hit the go button.

At 3500rpm with a two flute 3mm HSS cutter, feed rate set at 150mm/min and boosted to 200 on the override, 0.75mm depth per pass, it wasn't going to win any races. But I do so hate the sound of snapping tools. Air blast and the occasional spray of Trefolex to help it along.

Cut through it no problems at all, nice clean finish. End mill looks fine at the end and it showed no signs of Skippy Skip McStepperson of Skippton behaviour so all's good.

I should probably invest in some high surface speed cutters (TiAN or even just carbide) and crank things up a bit, see how they go. But I'm pretty happy with this result - I seriously expected it to just bog in and die.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow that's pretty impressive!

aarggh - Thanks for that. I emailed the seller and got this spec sheet:

OmioCNC report-_12-jpg

So it looks like an inductance of 3.5... I must admit I have no idea whether that is good or not lol - it's higher than a typical nema23 but I don't know if it's typical for a nema34.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    wow that's pretty impressive!

aarggh - Thanks for that. I emailed the seller and got this spec sheet:

OmioCNC report-_12-jpg

So it looks like an inductance of 3.5... I must admit I have no idea whether that is good or not lol - it's higher than a typical nema23 but I don't know if it's typical for a nema34.
    3.5mH isn't that bad at all really, lower would be better as the lower the inductance the closer the power supply matches the requirements, it would be more of a concern if it was 8mH or more like a lot of the cheap Chinese packages are.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cheers matey.

I finally got one ordered a few days ago - looking forward to playing with it. I decided to just go with the standard 4 axis for now - I don't know much about 4 axis work yet so I figure the standard unit is good enough to try it out and if I like it/find myself wanting to do more I can just upgrade it later.

Downloads
    Uploads

This week's update: lubrication. Bought a couple of those el cheapo locline mister rigs from fleaBay (about AUD20 apiece) and they turned up. Used the printer to make a collar to hang them off the top of the spindle, had a random solenoid and bought a bunch of 6mm PTC gear to get air up to them.

Just like every other time I've touched this machine, I learned a bunch of things.

- Opening the control box to see what where I'd mount a new PCB to drive the solenoid and probably a couple other things of breakout outputs, I note that there is already a big choke on the spindle output. The spindle hasn't played up again but then, I've not had it running a long job since last time either.
    - Doubling up those misters with a t-piece requires a bit of juggling to get them right, so they don't siphon off and dribble out as soon as you switch off the air.
    - They also have woeful suction from their venturis. I could just be super careful about the height of the coolant tank but I really wanted to leave it on the floor.
    - A small pump for the coolant worked beautifully. Until it died because it was an air pump and couldn't handle the load of the liquid. Oops. $5 from fleaBay for a windscreen washer motor, will resume this project when it turns up.
    - I forgot how much you have to move the spindle in its mount to allow for tooling and fixtures. Turns out when the workpiece is right on the bed and you're using short tools, it's pretty much flush at the top with the clamp - so my collar to mount the misters is going in the bin and I'll have to mount them differently.
    - these machines have a generous cable chain size, there was room for a 4mm ID tube for lubricant and 6mm ID tube as well as the spindle coolant hoses in there amongst the electrics. Nice touch.

Nothing too crazy and nothing much broken this time. The pump was a leftover from an old job, a mini sampling pump and I have a few of 'em spare so no tears shed.

But automated air blast and misting? Going to be pretty nice when it's done and sorted, so far looking at under a hundred bucks too.

@RCaffin: you'll be pleased to know that I couldn't be bothered dragging out the photo etching kit for the breakout board breakout board - power drivers to be triggered by the BOB and drive the solenoid etc. 0.1mm x 20Âş v cutter and LineGrinder haven't convinced me yet, and I'm having problems getting the NC drill file out of Altium. But I'm now curious to see just what I can get out of this thing so I will persist. Thanks for correcting me in the other thread.

Last edited by dharmic; 09-13-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a pair of those sort of misters waiting to go on too. What air pressure were you running them at?

I was thinking of making a bracket that attaches to the body of the spindle itself rather than the spindle clamp or the z axis carriage. That way when you slide the spindle up or down in the clamp, the misters move with it.

I would be very interested if you post up details of how you automate the air/mist.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running at full compressor pressure (8 bar / 120 pounds) at the moment, just because I had cranked it up and up and up to try and get the venturi working hard enough to drag coolant up from the ground level.

I have done what you're talking about, I printed a clamp that goes around the top of the spindle. Unfortunately, when the spindle is low enough to hit thin work with short tools, the top of the spindle is flush with the top of the spindle mount, so no room for the clamp. Bugger.

I'm now looking at removing the spindle mount and just drilling/tapping a couple of M3 holes in the sides of the mount for the mister blocks, then putting it back on the machine.

I will post up details of the drive setup when it happens. The idea is simply to have the M-code for mist lube wired through Mach-3 to one of the digital outs on the BOB. These are open circuit normally, then pulled to ground for active. That will drive a P-channel MOSFET with a 12V source such that the output will be open circuit normally, +12 active: great for just hooking the little pump and solenoids into.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah fair enough - think I'll have to get it in my hands first before coming up with a solution.

While you had the spindle apart, did you happen to look whether or not it's earthed properly on this one?

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't have the spindle apart, just the control box - and no, earth is disconnected.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh well, that'll be job number 1 on the list then! I have a bundle of 4 core shielded wire waiting to go on anyway.

Cheers!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just out of interest, I just designed this for the mist sprayers I have... the bracket is 15mm thick, do you think this would work above the spindle mount? I see you were using the dust bellows on the Z-axis, have you tried without? I believe it gives you another 60mm (so 30mm each side) on the Z travel... Plus I guess a spoil board would raise things up too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks familiar!

Here's a photo of mine and why it won't fit. That overhang of the spindle out of the top of the cradle is about 5mm.

No, I don't want to remove the bellows - they're on there for a reason. Maybe it's not so bad for dust, but once swarf starts flying around the place I want them good and covered.

I will probably end up screwing the mister blocks into the spindle mount between the spindle mount screws. Not too hard to do.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_20150914073555-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right so I have most of my order (for some unknown reason DHL decided to split the order and haven't delivered it all at once - hopefully the bottom half of the machine will arrive this afternoon).

I do however have the spindle and electronics, along with the Z/X axis gantry and all those bits and pieces, so I decided to take a look at the wiring.

Good news is that the spindle does already have a 4 pin plug and it is indeed already connected to an earth point on the inside of the cap:

The bad news is that for some reason, they have decided to run a 3 core cable and thus leave the earth unconnected to the VFD.... slightly confusing why they would have the earth on the spindle wired up and the earth on the VFD left empty. I have emailed them to ask why they are doing this, and also ask for a 4 pin connector to be sent out so that I can rewire using my own 4 wire shielded cable.... we'll see what they say.

Anyway, still waiting for half the machine but so far I'm impressed with the Z-Axis and X axis gantry, huge improvement over the X6-1500GT in rigidity is already quite evident. I'm quite excited to get it all up and running and have a go. Hopefully it all assembles nice and square.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still waiting for the rest of my machine, but in the mean time I did get a response from Grace about the earth....

To summarise, she said that they are confused why people ask about 4 core cable with earth and that they think they know better than the manufacturer, that it is disconnected due to noise affecting the system: "Spindle connects with “grounding" of VFD , will generate great interference for stepper drive in particular USB."

Well, I don't profess to know more than the manufacturer, but on that topic the manufacturer of the VFD shows a very clear (and not optional) wiring diagram - of note is the top right corner where you can clearly see the "E" of the VFD should be connected to the spindle and to ground.

As shown in the pics above, the Spindle manufacturer also provides a 4 core plug and an earth connection to the spindle case. Seems to me like both manufacturers are of the opinion that an earth needs to be hooked up....

I did point out that the earth is necessary for safety as a short in the spindle will turn the whole machine into a 220v live wire, and their reply was that "Earthing is for safety, that is paramount. But for how to connect earthing of a machine, that need theory and practices to make tests."

Well, the machine isn't earthed.... There is no electrical connection to ground at all other than the (non-existent) spindle ground. So clearly safety isn't paramount?

Anyway, I haven't heard of anyone that has corrected the VFD wiring as per manufacturer instructions having noise issues - we'll see I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends where you connect that earth, I guess. If you star point wired the spindle connection to the point where the control box is earthed, and also the VFD, it might be ok. They do try and keep the controller on a floating ground to prevent earth loops and other interference problems with the USB connection.

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast