Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 2

Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

Do you think the rotary tool would be good enough for wood? Or if there is an after-market part that you can purchase and install?

Downloads
    Uploads

Soft wood and plastic with a small cutter running low feed rates and super high spindle speed? It'd be absolutely fine.

There are many aftermarket A axis bolt-ons available of varying quantity and cost. This would be the equivalent of the $250 eBay ones. Small, very light and bendy frame, low power motor.

Still, like everything else on this mill: if I need to make it tougher, I can make a new frame with bearings and a longer shaft and boost up to a NEMA-34 motor but still use the other bits (chuck, stepper driver etc).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good to know!

On a scale from 1-10 for the level of technical expertise this requires, with 1 being a complete newbie and 10 being a seasoned machinist, where does this machine sit? I've been looking for an affordable home CNC and this one certainly fits my budget, but I don't want something that requires constant calibrations, maintenance, and debugging. I don't necessarily want to learn how to build one from the ground up as I use it for design work and not as a hobby (although I probably will to some degree).

Do you think these inexpensive Chinese CNC's are better for tinkerers who have the time to figure them out, or are they reliable enough to meet deadlines?

Downloads
    Uploads

It sits firmly at a "1".

They email you a video to show you how to do up the dozen or so bolts that hold the pre-assembled gantry onto the pre-assembled everything else.

You plug it all in. You install Mach3 on your computer, and install the settings files they send you.

You flick the power switches, kill the reset mode that Mach3 starts in, hit the auto-zero button and watch as it all finds home.

You spend the next hour driving the thing around with the jog buttons in Mach3, giggling like an idiot. Then you chuck a couple of AAA batteries in the wireless pendant, and spend the rest of the night zooming it all around with the wireless controller, screaming out "YEEEE HAWWWW" and generally feeling like a complete boss.

Then, next day, you throw a bit of scrap timber and load up their tutorial g-code and cut some stuff. Feeling even more like a boss. This stuff is EASY!!!

Then, the next day, you try to generate your own toolpath in some CAM software off a 3D model you've made and it all turns to chaos and ruin as you realise that you aren't a boss at all. You are the "1", and you have an awful lot to learn about the process of using these things ahead of you.

But you got to that point quickly, without having to fight the machine or the setup or any of that jazz. And that's pretty nice.

When I started looking at these it was either something like this or a SIEG X3 or a bigger knee mill as a project to convert. I am so glad I bought this, even if I hit limitations very quickly it's given me a wonderful opportunity to actually get hands on time with a working machine and start learning about that process rather than spend the next six months getting frustrated with a project just to get to where I am now. They're a little pricier than the HY-3040s but that's ok, with linear rails and so on it also means I've got myself a handy collection of hardware if I decide one day that I need to get a steel frame, etc, etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that's fantastic to hear.

Is there a particular reason you got the 2200w model? From the looks of it, the 800/1500/2200 all use the same gantry and structural stuff, with the motor being the difference. Does higher power allow you to mill faster?

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the 2200W because it has proper HG20 linear rails instead of the rods on the lighter units, and because I have tooling off another mill that needs at least an ER20 collet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm... I'm seriously considering one of these now. I just don't know where I'd put it and how I'd power it. My apartment's circuits only handle 1000-1500w on each breaker and we trip it quite frequently enough as it is given how old it is. Do you think it would be practical or safe to build some kind of enclosure for it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Necessary, as they throw crap everywhere. I'm about to make a table with enclosure that lift off the frame for access. They aren't small, measure out about 1200x1000mm of floor space minimum.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm another newbie thinking of buying an OmioCNC machine and am grateful for your helpful comments. I'm actually thinking of buying the X4-800L because I don't need a 6040 sized machine (indeed don't really have the space) and the X4-800L has the same linear guide rails as the X6-2200L. I'm also a bit put off by the OmioCNC comment on the X6-2200L page where it says:

"This machine target user must be a professional user, you need to have some knowledge of cutting tools and machining experience. We suggest that : if you have never used a similar CNC equipment , you'd better do not buy X6-2000L. you can choose other models like X3, X4, or X6 series."

That doesn't quite fit with your "it's a 1" comment"!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Soft wood and plastic with a small cutter running low feed rates and super high spindle speed? It'd be absolutely fine.

There are many aftermarket A axis bolt-ons available of varying quantity and cost. This would be the equivalent of the $250 eBay ones. Small, very light and bendy frame, low power motor.

Still, like everything else on this mill: if I need to make it tougher, I can make a new frame with bearings and a longer shaft and boost up to a NEMA-34 motor but still use the other bits (chuck, stepper driver etc).
    So if I understand this correctly, and I'm looking to crank out a low production run of engraved wooden cylinders, the specs that would let me increase the speed and have good resolution are:

- Router spindle power (higher the better)
    - Rotary motor power (higher the better)
    - Rotary frame material (stronger the better)
    - Rotary gear ratio (higher the better?)

Downloads
    Uploads

I reckon you'd be alright with this if the stock fits, if you used the tail stock they provided as well as the driven chuck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I'm using 2.5" dowels, so it's a bit too big for their chuck. I'm looking at this instead:

CNC Router Rotational Rotary Axis A 4th Axis 3 Jaw Tailstock Nema34 Steel Frame | eBay

Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast