Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 2

Page 2 of 108 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

I'm another newbie thinking of buying an OmioCNC machine and am grateful for your helpful comments. I'm actually thinking of buying the X4-800L because I don't need a 6040 sized machine (indeed don't really have the space) and the X4-800L has the same linear guide rails as the X6-2200L. I'm also a bit put off by the OmioCNC comment on the X6-2200L page where it says:

"This machine target user must be a professional user, you need to have some knowledge of cutting tools and machining experience. We suggest that : if you have never used a similar CNC equipment , you'd better do not buy X6-2000L. you can choose other models like X3, X4, or X6 series."

That doesn't quite fit with your "it's a 1" comment"!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Soft wood and plastic with a small cutter running low feed rates and super high spindle speed? It'd be absolutely fine.

There are many aftermarket A axis bolt-ons available of varying quantity and cost. This would be the equivalent of the $250 eBay ones. Small, very light and bendy frame, low power motor.

Still, like everything else on this mill: if I need to make it tougher, I can make a new frame with bearings and a longer shaft and boost up to a NEMA-34 motor but still use the other bits (chuck, stepper driver etc).
    So if I understand this correctly, and I'm looking to crank out a low production run of engraved wooden cylinders, the specs that would let me increase the speed and have good resolution are:

- Router spindle power (higher the better)
    - Rotary motor power (higher the better)
    - Rotary frame material (stronger the better)
    - Rotary gear ratio (higher the better?)

Downloads
    Uploads

I reckon you'd be alright with this if the stock fits, if you used the tail stock they provided as well as the driven chuck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I'm using 2.5" dowels, so it's a bit too big for their chuck. I'm looking at this instead:

CNC Router Rotational Rotary Axis A 4th Axis 3 Jaw Tailstock Nema34 Steel Frame | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Look significantly beefier than the stock one, I like it! Although it's direct drive so you don't have the torque advantage of the pulleys. And the single vertical lump of aluminium for the frame will flex if you start whaling on metal without the tailstock to support it.

Don't forget to order a stepper driver to power it, the ones Omio are flogging seem pretty reasonable so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You do make a good point. From what I've read having a belt system always improves resolution since a stepper motor is limited to the number of teeths it has. Even though this one has a NEMA 34, it that may be a problem...

Maybe something like this would be better:

CNC Router Rotary Axis A 4th Axis 3 Jaw 80mm Tailstock Steel Frame 20 1 | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

See how it has the fatter body through which the spindle is mounted? That will make it stiffer against twisting away from the tool under load. But I don't trust worm drives, too much backlash potential and not a lot you can do to sort it out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also found this. This one is a worm drive as well, but at least they included a video of it being used.

CNC 4th Axis Rotary Table (100mm / 4 inch)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, they've got numbers for backlash etc. If they are acceptable and remember you'll need to pay more for the three jaw chuck and tailstock, it looks ok. Particularly as it's configured to be mounted either as an A axis (rotating around the X) or down as a C axis (rotating around Z). That's pretty nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty well settled on the 2200L-USB with 4th axis, but what troubles me a little (ok a lot) is no examples on use of the 4th axis. I made another request from Grace this morning which should get an answer later tonight for some kind of link or reference on this vs just being a sales tool.

Not ordered yet but not much left to consider or figure out really for me. Looking forward to seeing some comments and work samples here soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

For 4th axis examples, have a look at any of the cheap HY-3040 4th axis videos. Pretty much the same.

I had a swag of tooling turn up Monday but I'm still waiting for my collet set to arrive so I can use them! Also, I decided to stop using the machine until I get it off the old kitchen table and onto something a little sturdier with an enclosure, so shed time presently is devoted to making that table up. Won't see a lot of examples for a little while as I get all that together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yesterday managed to get the basic frame for the bench together. Steel patio tube (76x38x1.6mm galvanised mild steel tube) and screwed brackets. Similar job is holding up my lathe and baby mill no worries. By the time I have shelves in this guy together with some cross straps it should be plenty rigid and heavy enough to cope. The uprights are to hang covers off.

Nowhere near as pretty as some enclosure/benches I've seen on here but it'll get the job done and so far owes me under AUD250 with not a lot left to spend (I need a sheet of acrylic for the front panel)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_20150808193601-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Golly but this is slow going.

Still, the machine has a new home. I need to extend some cables so I can get that control box out to knee the e-stop, I need to make some slightly less ghetto clips for the acrylic panels, and I still need to make a tooling drawer.

My collets, edge finders and smaller ball mills haven't turned up yet so there ain't a lot of panic yet. Mostly excitement - it's starting to look like someone meant it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmioCNC report-img_20150814171343-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder if spacex care that omio have ripped off their logo OmioCNC report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439640814-545889-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not been much activity here.... anyone cutting anything? Omio finally quit responding to me after I asked to see some 4th axis work. After all you sell the thing lets see it work??

Nope.

Downloads
    Uploads

Enclosure's built, my collet set arrived yesterday so time to start either cutting chips or bogging and crashing the machine. We'll see. Thanks for the reminder, I would have forgotten but now I'll set up the camera next to the machine to see what happens.

That's annoying on the 4th axis but, to be honest, it doesn't surprise me. The machine itself seems pretty well put together (for a lightweight dinky toy type machine) but the 4th axis really is a piece of sh6t. I need to have a play on it with a bit of dowel sometime and see how it goes when the tailstock is used to help support the job but, now I've seen what it's really like and what you can get out there for not a lot more, I think you're probably better off getting the Omio without the 4th axis and buying a better one elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rats.

Decided to give it a good flog today and, on the most part, I was pretty happy. I need to sort out appropriate loads etc and learn the machine, today I ran out of speed-up override room on the feed and spindle after I manually overrode the CAM f&s settings because I was paranoid.

So a 2hr job ended up taking 5.

And 4.5h it all just stopped. What? Fire up spindle again, no worries, as soon as I started trying to feed it shut down again: the USB connection had dropped out.

Hmmm. Switched everything off and on again, no help. Switched everything off, half an hour to cool down, re-routed USB lead in case of EMI and tried again. Nup, not playing.

Going to call it a day today but will try again tomorrow, possibly with a different USB lead in case. Then it'll be time to see what their support/service is really like on Monday...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well this doesn't sound good. I wonder if it found a limit that needs reset maybe?? Just guessing at it. I'm lost on the "speed-up override room" comment, what do you mean there?

I have still not ordered yet. Just taking my time more than anything and still looking around but no matter where I look I end up back at OMIO like a damn magnet. I checked out Shop Sabre and even talked to the son of the founder. Wow he's really proud of what they make and claim all these others are a toy. They offer a dedicated pc style controller and some software I'm not interested in all for about $6400. Afraid that's over double this boys budget.

Hope your gremlin there turns out to be minimal and that service or support will help get you going asap.

Downloads
    Uploads

Omio came back pretty quickly and seems like the prime suspect is the grounding.

The USB board ground floats off the case (ie it's all insulated) except for the PSU ground. So they've suggested I open the control box and make sure the insulation around the PCB mounts and the USB connector is all intact.

I figured this would be a good time to replace the cables with shielded too, and pin the shield to the case of the spindle motor. I've noticed that my digital vernier goes mental whenever I put it near the spindle end when things are up and running.

Hopefully it'll be a reasonably easy fix.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol

Just went to measure it up for new cable and realised I'd need new pins for the servo plugs. Went to grab the easiest to reach plug to take a photo, it was the 4th axis lead which had slipped under the machine, covered in aluminium chips.

That shorting out could have caused all kinds of entertainment, so before I get too excited about anything else I'll put it up, cover it and try again to see if problem repeats.

Page 2 of 108 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast