Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 152

Page 152 of 166 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153154155162 ... LastLast
Results 1,813 to 1,824 of 1982

Thread: OmioCNC report

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

FWIW, I made solid progress today, nicely cutting polycarbonate and aluminum. On the USB error issue. I added a ground wire from the router frame to power strip ground (thx dharmic). This didn't resolve my USB issues, but I believe it helped. I rearranged the computer and controller creating the greatest distance between the USB cable and the stepper/spindle motor wiring and this solved the USB communication issue. For today at least.

I'm on the the next tier of issues. I'm cutting at 12,000 rpm. When I raise the spindle above 12k rpm the machine vibrates significantly and becomes very noisy. Any comments or suggestions for operating at higher spindle rates and eliminating the vibration?

The aluminum cuts were in 1/8" thick 6061 al sheet. I tried contours and pockets and they both left a small ridge (~.01") of material protruding form both the top and bottom edge of the contour. Any advice on how to eliminate? I experimented with a finish pass of .02" which gave me a nice finish on the thickness of the cut, but left the ridge as noted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your next step may be to look at shielded cable for the spindle. PITA but some guys have had good results, and it's not as big a PITA as switching to a U400-ETH, BOB, power supply for the BOB etc which is what I ended up doing for other reasons.

Does the machine shake over 12000rpm if there's nothing in the spindle? Take the tool out, the collet and the collet nut and spin it up. Mine's as steady as a rock. If yours isn't you may have a crappy spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using a PC or a Laptop?

Downloads
    Uploads

Who? I'm on a laptop. Which is half the problem as it's a double insulated mains cable (no ground wire) and floating earth. At least on a PC it's clamped to ground - although doing that through the USB earth lead is pretty nasty.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Your next step may be to look at shielded cable for the spindle. PITA but some guys have had good results, and it's not as big a PITA as switching to a U400-ETH, BOB, power supply for the BOB etc which is what I ended up doing for other reasons.

Does the machine shake over 12000rpm if there's nothing in the spindle? Take the tool out, the collet and the collet nut and spin it up. Mine's as steady as a rock. If yours isn't you may have a crappy spindle.
    The USB communication issue arose again last night. I swapped to a new USB cable (swapped out the OMIO provided USB cable) which solved the issue for that session.

I am on a desktop with ground. I've considered shielding the spindle cable, but my issue usually arises prior to powering the spindle, so I haven't pursued this path. Strangely, I'm starting to correlate the issue with night time operation versus daytime. I only have two days/nights of data, so I will continue to monitor.

Regarding the spindle, I will test with spindle only, then add nut, add collet, etc. to determine if the spindle is good and what creates the vibration. From your post, it seems 22k rpm operation without vibration is achievable/expected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a different issue, possibly, then, to mine.

Mine would run fine for hours then disconnect. At that point, simply starting the spindle would disconnect again and this continued until I left it alone for a day. It was only stuffing around with USB cable swaps etc that I noticed a great big fat blue spark when I plugged the USB cable into the computer. Grounding the frame fixed it (for me) but by that stage I probably had already swapped the cable. Make sure you switch the ferrite beads over from the original cable to the new one, too.

If yours is dropping out regardless of spindle and the frame is grounded then it'll be something else.

Yep, mine runs beautifully at 24k rpm. If yours doesn't run smooth with no nut, collet etc then I'd say it's a dodgy spindle - and you won't be the first to have to deal with this, unfortunately. Someone else got a bum deal with this too and I can't remember whether they replaced bearings etc or just replaced the spindle.

Another point - if it runs smooth with a tool installed too, and only gets crazy when engaging with the workpiece, it could be a case of feeds and speeds and simple tool chatter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Who? I'm on a laptop. Which is half the problem as it's a double insulated mains cable (no ground wire) and floating earth. At least on a PC it's clamped to ground - although doing that through the USB earth lead is pretty nasty.
    No, the OP..Re: USB issues.
    Laptops appear to be more problematic when using USB.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tested my spindle for vibration.
    Spindle only, spindle with nut and Spinle with nut and collet all perform nicely up to 24k RPM.

I added a 4mm carbide endmill and introduced moderate vibration starting at 12k RPM. Some speeds were worse than others and vibration at speeds above 20k RPM dropped compared to vibration at speeds of 15-18k RPM. All of this vibration was less than yesterday, which corresponds to comparing a higher quality cabide endmill to the HSS endmill that came with the router.

I'm satisfied the machine operates sufficiently well and will experiment with various quality endmills.

I continue to play with the USB connection. It seems it has difficulty when initiating a session and can't recognize the controller. After unplugging/pluggin, reboot etc. it seems the PC recognizes the controller and then all is well. I might buy a PCI to USB 2.0 card and add new USB ports. This is a shot in the dark, since all other devices operate fine with the motherboard USB connections.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

What you have described sounds a bit like resonance. Could be interesting to test the spindle with a bit of plain ground stock, 4 or 6 mm OD, 75 mm long.

USB - many of us have sworn off the USB method of connection and gone to the ethernet. A benefit of the ethernet is that there is NO electrical continuity over the connections: they are transformer-isolated, and instead of 3 V signals on the USB the ethernet has 15 V signals.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There shouldn't be any vibration with the spindle running unloaded. Perhaps something is loose and natural harmonics are causing it? What exactly is vibrating, the entire thing? A video might be helpful if possible.

When I stripped my machine down for the first time I found quite a few loose bolts and holes with stripped threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

I just got my Orange box X6 assembled and I've run into my first issue. The spindle just hums when I try to test spin it I opened the box and the connections seem good to me, but is there a good way to test?

Edit a few more details: The spindle controller is lit up and I see the numbers count up on it's display. This is the water cooled spindle and I do have water running through it. Also the spindle spins freely by hand.

Thanks

-Tom

Final edit: In case someone else has this issue. I was able to get it going!
    After watching some youtube videos on spindles I notice the power connection was seated much deeper on their spindles. I disconnected mine and double checked alignment. Connected everything back up and it's running great now.

Last edited by Tom_S; 07-13-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now for a real question. Is the post processor by Jay on the BrainRight site for fusion 360, the correct one for the Orange Box?

BrainRight - Modular CNC Controller

Thanks,

-Tom

Page 152 of 166 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153154155162 ... LastLast