Need Help! Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?

Thread: Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?

I have a new Chinese 6040. Per advice on this forum I plan to replace the cables with shielded cables. I have bought the connectors to mate with those on the controller box (which I plan to try before getting a G540 if it doesn't work out) but I'm having trouble sourcing the connectors for the other end of each cable and I'm trying to avoid cutting up the existing cables.

Stepper motor connectors
    The stepper motors all have short pigtails with 4 pin connectors that look a little like JST XH connectors. I would like to leave the stepper motor pigtails unchanged and make new cables to mate with them. Does anyone know where to buy the mating connectors? See photos.

Spindle connector
    Likewise I'm trying to identify and locate the connector to mate with the 4 pin circular connector on the 800w spindle motor. Photos attached

I'm trying to avoid changing the connectors on the motors and I'm trying to avoid cutting up the existing cables. Any help locating sources for the connectors would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-mating-spindle-connector-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-needed-spindle-connector-1-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-needed-spindle-connector-2-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-needed-stteper-connector-back-view-jpg  

Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-stepper-connector-needed-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-stepper-pigtail-connector-1-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-stepper-pigtail-connector-2-jpg   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-stepper-pigtail-connector-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?

Don't know your location but the following online electronic distributors may have what you are looking for and they have international offices
    around the world.

Eg. Element14, Mouser, RS electronics, Newark which is acquired by Element14 and Digikey.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?

I'm in California, USA and I am familiar with those distributors, thank you. My problem, which I failed to explain clearly, is that I don't know how to precisely identify the connectors the Chinese used. I was hoping that someone on CNCZone had already identified compatible connectors that are available from distributors such as the ones you listed. Otherwise I'm left with voiding the "3 year" warranty on the stepper motors by cutting off the weird connectors from them and replacing them with Molex connectors, and maybe replacing the spindle connector with an AN connector from Amphenol. I don't know if the Chinese warranty is worth anything but I hate to void it without at least checking here first.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, you do not specify the size of your table or the steppers used. There is a UL/CSA ampacity table on the web that covers AWG and metric sizes. I have attached my copy of the AWG part of the table.

Chinese factories grossly undersize their wire. They do not understand the larger safety margin of UL/CSA regulations and only have parts in stock for their CE cable sizes (Beware of mark fraud). For a UL/CSA build see my other entries on the CNCzone forum. The max. current load on the servo/stepper circuit depends on the motor size and type and is usually 8-10A (excluding the start-up spike) for larger motors and drives. For cables with N conductors you can calculate the copper conductor size for your power and control cables from the ampacity table.

There are many good manufacturers inside and outside China who do excellent metalwork. However, do not accept lies about electrical parts and components from the lazy purchasers, technicians and sales people in China (see my notes on cable insulation in the attached file), as they are told by the factory to agree to your English terms to get a deposit, but then work against you to avoid making the machine to your specs as agreed (see my comments on Chinese contract law and Chinese customs on the import of assists in this forum). "It will do, we have provided UL marked cable", but it will not pass a local ETL field inspection (lower cost than the UL) at your location. Remember that UL/CSA/ETL/TUV-R marks on parts and materials used in the machine may not get you a certificate for the whole machine if there are problems with the size of the conductors, or the type of insulation used. There are two levels of compliance. Chinese CCC safety code law, CE and UL/CSA code law are not the same. You are not using the machine in China.

Many large companies have the qualified manpower to refit their machines and either get a safety inspection, or self-certify the machine. Small companies cannot afford to do this. In China, hire an inspector with CNC machinery experience on Alibaba, there are various choices for the type of inspection performed. You cannot get a standard service company to inspect for UL/CSA machine standards. The best that you can do is to get a parts count for everything. If your parts and materials are not used, then the inspection service will issue a report that the machine is unsatisfactory and which problems must be corrected. You can ask for a sample CNC inspection report (service@tts-global.net) before choosing a service and add a parts count to make sure that your parts, wiring and cable have been used.

Use advanced Google search codes for searching www in China, for example: for single conductor cable to UL-1015.......... UL-1015 inurl:cn. The UL-1015, the hyphen is a search term and means that these two text terms must occur together. A space or underscore character means something else.

Note: Some Chinese manufacturers of CNC machines, wire and cable have fake UL certificates or they will show you an outdated certificate for the wrong product. Check the registration numbers on the certificate with the UL office in Taiwan. This is essential! You may want to try an ETL field inspection or pre-inspection. Type ETL-inspection inurl:cn.

Try the following contacts for ETL pre- or a one-time field inspection in China:
    steven.chiu@intertek.com
    cs@v-trust.com
    HST@hst.org.cn
    ect_lab@163.com

In a commercial space you should have all UL certified (NOT consistent with or made to) parts, cable and wiring (been there, done that against tremendous resistance, lies and excuses). For insurance reasons, even if you are the only user (lies, lies and more lies!). Check with your insurance company and negotiate what tools are for hobby vs pro use in your space. The major issues are safety and liability in case of an accident, e.g. a fire.

The best source of wire and cable I have found in the US is Wesbell.
    Single conductor wire insulation casing marks: Typically the UL registration number E########, UL/CSA/cRUus/CE, FT-1/VW-1, 105C, 600V and may be PVC or PUR will be on the single conductor wire. No registration number, then ask to see the certificate and email the UL office with the registration number.
    Any cable should be marked in a similar way, except with 90C and either 600 or 300V. Look for super flexible cable.
    I’ve also attached a pdf file of the parts supplied for my 1325 CNC router. If you key in the numbers into Google, the pages at the suppliers used should come up PDQ. The sources for the connectors, cables and premade cables are in there. I hope that helps you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-details-components-sources-pdf   Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-wire-gauges-ampacity-pdf  
    Last edited by dmannock; 01-25-2015 at 03:39 AM. Reason: pdf format error

Downloads
    Uploads

Bit late for the OP but for others the Stepper motor cables are "JST SM" connectors. Readily available on ebay

jst sm 4 pin | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tim,

I am having the same problem and if you haven't gave in and hacked up the wires yet I have found the connectors on amazon. Here is the link. I am ordering some today along with the crimping tool and will update you as I learn how to crimp and use these connectors. I purchased a Gecko G540 and am upgrading a 6040 Chinese CNC mill exactly like yours. Just like you I do not want to hack up and wires or more importantly not be able to use the Chinese connectors should I need or want to. With these connectors I can very easily switch from the Gecko G 540 to the counterfeit Planet CNC MK1 controller without having to rewire anything. This could be useful in several scenarios. Thank you for your post.

Derrick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by picturethis View Post
    Tim,

I am having the same problem and if you haven't gave in and hacked up the wires yet I have found the connectors on amazon. Here is the link. I am ordering some today along with the crimping tool and will update you as I learn how to crimp and use these connectors. I purchased a Gecko G540 and am upgrading a 6040 Chinese CNC mill exactly like yours. Just like you I do not want to hack up and wires or more importantly not be able to use the Chinese connectors should I need or want to. With these connectors I can very easily switch from the Gecko G 540 to the counterfeit Planet CNC MK1 controller without having to rewire anything. This could be useful in several scenarios. Thank you for your post.

Derrick
    For your spindle you can wire it direct, you don't have to have the plug, you just have to get a suitable Cable Gland wire Restraint for the spindle end, ( these are for use with shielded Cable ) these will take care of the Shield Grounding as well

EMF Cable Glands https://hollandshielding.com/EMI-RFI-cable-entry-glands

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to buy motor end connectors to rebuild cables for chinese 6040?-metal-gland-wire-restraint-png  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beware of the Chinese connectors as in upgrading my big machine they all crumbled on disassembly. I suggest you talk to Mouser, Newark and Digikey. They will have better made items that will last. If you are not sure, but can find the part in their catalogue, call their tech support people. I've seen better stuff that's coolant proof, but do a search on Octopart.com. Your local electrical wholesaler or electronics store may have a local supplier from whom they can order on your behalf. Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As I've had to do a complete upgrade to pass a safety inspection, I can say that this is OK, but you will need a fine tipped soldering iron and leaded solder (low temperature). Reusing the connector is OK, but Western (Japanese made) connectors are often available as IP67 grade dust proof/water proof options. If you have a top quality spindle use these. Chinese spindles - reuse the old connector. If you can't do the soldering, some stores offer a service to do that for you for a fee. The shield is usually soldered at one end and buy clip on ferrite beads for power supply cables. Another thought, I found that the housing taking the above style cable gland was aluminum and could not easily be upgraded to a bigger size. I ended up using 2 stage enlargement the first was metric to imperial! Yes, there is another issue! Also, my cable for a 4KW spindle needed to be 10AWG shielded cable and the connection housing was only designed to take 12AWG. You can shave down the outer insulation to get it into the gland and seated. The extra cable weight can be accommodated by putting some angle iron and a cable retainer (bigger gland) on the Z-axis plate to spread the load. You may need colalt steel drill bits, cutting fluid and taps for threading the new holes. Do it well, do it once! Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DM007 View Post
    As I've had to do a complete upgrade to pass a safety inspection, I can say that this is OK, but you will need a fine tipped soldering iron and leaded solder (low temperature). Reusing the connector is OK, but Western (Japanese made) connectors are often available as IP67 grade dust proof/water proof options. If you have a top quality spindle use these. Chinese spindles - reuse the old connector. If you can't do the soldering, some stores offer a service to do that for you for a fee. The shield is usually soldered at one end and buy clip on ferrite beads for power supply cables. Another thought, I found that the housing taking the above style cable gland was aluminum and could not easily be upgraded to a bigger size. I ended up using 2 stage enlargement the first was metric to imperial! Yes, there is another issue! Also, my cable for a 4KW spindle needed to be 10AWG shielded cable and the connection housing was only designed to take 12AWG. You can shave down the outer insulation to get it into the gland and seated. The extra cable weight can be accommodated by putting some angle iron and a cable retainer (bigger gland) on the Z-axis plate to spread the load. You may need colalt steel drill bits, cutting fluid and taps for threading the new holes. Do it well, do it once! Dave
    Got to say you must of had very poor quality cable to have to use 10AWG for your 4Kw spindle. 4Kw is 18Amps , quality cable like IGUS 16AWG is rated up to 20 Amps so 12 AWG would of been more than enough, 10AWG for 4 KW spindle is ridiculous

Shaving the insulation down to make it fit, would be something that should not pass a safety inspection, very bad information

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the NEC ampacity tables and the rating for the Italian spindle is 19/20A. The more conductors, the lower the current rating 4C. Shaving the cable down is not good, but the difference is very small, not a big hack as the 12AWG and 10AWG double shielded are not very different in CS area and I always use adhesive lined HS tubing on top of everything. The NEC safety rating is 130%, not 100%. We both know that the Chinese do not understand insulation softening points, fire rating or this NEC safety rating and because everything they make is metric, you are faced with using systems designed for metric cable with cable that is AWG. I agree that Igus cable would have been better. I did not know this at the time and bought Lapp AWG. I had to change the cable track to Igus as the cheap Chinese crap would not take all of the NEC rated cable. Taking that track apart without breaking the bars was a nightmare, whereas the taller Igus track with smaller bending radius was easy. I've used UL/CSA fire retardent sleeve on the cable exterior to reduce friction in the track and to reduce abrasion. Had to take the servo signal connectors apart too as those cables are not to code. The Chinese want to sell you a product made for their domestic market not for export. It's just another game they play. 4 years on from my initial enquiries and you can now buy my machine less Becker pump for about CAD$90K with CSA approval here.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The connectors used for the spindle are aviation connectors, at least that's how you can find them on amazon.