Build Thread Dust boot for the X6 1500GT (Plans inside)

Thread: Dust boot for the X6 1500GT (Plans inside)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dust boot for the X6 1500GT (Plans inside)

Hello

Thought that I would share my dustboot design.

I looked att numerous designs before finaly choosing what I wanted.
    The most effecient ones are those that has the suction right at the end mill.
    I decided that I would make on that follows that Z movement and is attached to the spindle, since i run different 3D stuff among other things it's better like that.

The material is supposed to be10mm polycarbonate, but my prototype is made from phenolic resin.
    But eventually it will be made in transparent material to get a better wiew

These are the parts included:

The middle piece need to be made 2 of.
    Bottom part have holes for allen head screws, the lower middle part should be drilled out to 6mm.
    The upper middle part should have M6 threads in it, assembly is easiest that way.
    Of course the lower middle part doesn't need magnet holes.
    Speaking of magnets, I use only 4 of them and that's plenty to keep the boot in position.

Maybe some steering pins to keep it aligned, but that I leave up to you.

Somekind of rubber surround to keep the vacuum in, transparent or black doesn't matter.
    I used whatch called a cooling barrier, used in stables and barns where the animals can walk freely in and out.
    Very soft and durable.

The DXF files are at the bottom of this post.

Here are som images and a few videos of what the boot look like assembled.

Here it is mounted on the spindle:

From below:

Essembled on the machine:

Here you can see how far down the collet nut it goes about halfway.
    Which means there is plenty of clearance to the material:

Here are a few testruns i made:
    The material is 12mm MDF board just to produce a large amount of dust.

A pocket of 50 mm, feeds and speed in the video.

A pocket of 150mm , feeds and speeds inside the video.
    You can see towards the end that there is alot of swarf building up on the pocket.
    But it is easily cut and evacuated by the dustboot.

Here you can see the first cut.
    Only a little dust in the corner.

The underside of the spindle, not much dust collected.

So here you go.
    Feel free to change and do whatever you want with it.
    It's a prototype and up for any suggested changes.

All feedback is welcome.
    If you make this put up a pick here och make a build thread so we can see your take on it

Best regards
    Patrik J

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dust boot for the X6 1500GT (Plans inside)

Nice work. That seems to work quit nicely. I will have to make one for my machine.

Just an idea: How about making one more spacer with the shape of a ring. The inner diameter equal to the intake hole. The out diameter just a little bit wider. Then attach the quilt to this. Then there are not so much quilt which means less loss of suction. In the video it also looks like you are hitting the fixture. A smaller area of quilt would also mean that there is less change to hit these, since the area closest to the working area would be smaller. Just an idea

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did actually think about something like that.
    But at the time it was about ease of construction and I needed it like right now.

But it's a good idea.
    The reason that it hit was that I was using a really short 6mm carbide bit that only has around 15mm och cutting surface, that's why it hit the fixtures.

One other this is that I really can't make the quilt that long with a ring that close to the bit, beacause it would chew it up.
    I sometimes use a 32mm flat mill to surface my board and that would kill the rubber sleeve I think.

But why not make several different attachements to the base?
    One with an outer sleeve and different lenghts maybe, and one with an inner ring for shorter end millls.

Will have to try this I think

I'll wip something up and keep you posted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a nice idea. But they would have to be easily interchangeable, so they would need some kind of quick attachment system. Maybe some day if i have time

I mostly do aluminum so dust isn't really a big problem for me. But i would like to skip the clean up afterwards. My problem is, that i use alcohol in my mist system for cooling. This creates some vapors and i would be afraid of the motor in the suction device would make some sparks, resulting in ignition of the fumes. But i maybe a bit paranoid, since the amounts of alcohol pr min is so low compared to the high volume of air being moved.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I just leave the top plate on the machine and change the lower part, it's attached with magnets.
    So a quick swap takes a really short time.

For fume extraction I would just make a the top part of my boot and a rim with magnets and the sleeve.
    Since you only have extract the fumes, it doesn't have to be straight above the nut.
    Suction will happen anyhow.

Just remember that you vaccum cleaner produces alot of sparks on the motor, it can result in an alcohol drive rocket engine in the garage.
    Same if you let the fumes outside, still ned somekind of vaccum device.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah of course, magnets

My CNC is located under an exhaust fan from the rooms old purpose as a painting cabine. The purpose of the extraction system is not to went out the fumes, it is extract the chips so i would not have to clean up If it did not have the exhaust i would probably get a bit tipsy staying in the room But its alcohol, so apart from the tipsyness i probably would not suffer from the fumes. If i attached a system like yours all the fumes would go into the vacuum cleaner and would probably end in the alcohol rocket you described... any idea how to prevent this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing I can think of is somekind of scrubber that washes the exaust fumes, but that's more complicated than needed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Deleted...

Last edited by Naki2; 01-13-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Conted duplicated, (sorry)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Thanks for your design! It gave me ideas for my own creation:

I made mine using 10mm transparent acrylic, with a 3D printed support for my vaccum cleaner and using M6 screws threaded directry in the acrylic.

Also I changed the position of the fixation screw, putting it into a corner, out of the vaccum flow.

I have put the CAD files and other details in my site: Recogepolvo (Dust Boot) para la X6-1500GT | Parece f