Chips!

Thread: Chips!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Chips!

I have been making chips for some time now, but just completed a fantastic project. If you have not made the power drawbar from homeshopaccessories, you don't know what you're missing. And that is 5 second tool changes.

The plans were first rate. I modified mine somwhat by incorporating a manifold for the motor and cylinder air supply...I didn't like to solder these connections. I also included a reciever mounted on the spindle for socket allignment to the drawbar.

It works great and tool changes are no longer a pain in the ***.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chips!-img_0557-jpg  
    Noncarborundum Illigitimus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey there Bo haven't seen your handle here in quite a while. changer looks good, and glad to hear ya makin chips. They come with Salsa ?

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, no salsa. Just a lot of complaining from my wife when I track chips into the house! I hope to have the mill in an enclosure in the next couple of months. But I do love 5 second tool changes.

No, I haven't posted in a while. I own my own business and recently started another one, both in the high tech area. No time for much else other than work and sleep.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent post. I like the way you set that up, very nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice one, Bohica. I like the receiver mod. Does it just drop into place with a set screw? Are you using an inner bushing to keep the drawbar centered?

Without a receiver, my power drawbar (same style) chews the head of the drawbar. I wind up having to pull it apart, face the drawbar nut, and reassemble about once every 18 months, which is a nuisance. I hear there are hardened drawbars out there, but a receiver might also cure my problems.

BTW, fellas, one of those little Harbor Freight butterfly impact wrenches makes tool changes real fast even if just using it handheld. I have a powered drawbar like this one on one of my 2 IH mills (Love it!), but haven't got around to making a second one. Meanwhile, I got 2 more of the little impact wrenches last time they were on sale (handy for other uses too).

I want to make up a little air system on the mill so I can plug in one connection and have a hand held air nozzle, drawbar, air for coolant mister, and so on.

Cheers,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bob. The reciever is mounted on the drawbar with 2 set screws, 180 degrees apart. The inside of the receiver is tapered 13 degrees, which aligns the socket as it comes down. I left .010 side clearance between the socket and reciever at the bottom.

Attached Files Attached Files