IH Gasket Repair help - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IH Gasket Repair help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

More pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1492-jpg   IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1493-jpg   IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1494-jpg   IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1495-jpg  

IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1488-jpg   IH Gasket Repair help-dscf1489-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by youngfg View Post
    ... it turned out there was a casting flaw in the seal retainer, I put some epoxy on it, now no leaks.
    Well my leak is back. Its odd since I have not run the mill since I last posted and there were several days where nothing was dripping. Then I noticed a couple days ago that there were a couple of drops forming on the end of the spindle, but no oil had made its way to the table. Today I look at it and there is about a silver dollar size puddle under the spindle. It's not as bad as before (yet), but still bothers me.

I am curious about your casting flaw and how the leak manifested itself for you. Did it leak only when running, or would it drip just sitting there?

--Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Youngfg, is your top plate cracked at the bearing bore?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1162847541

I see what looks like a crack.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thinking to myself....and this is on brand new IH mills....gotta remember to stay away from them.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not a crack, a bristle from a brush I was using.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Thinking to myself....and this is on brand new IH mills....gotta remember to stay away from them.....
    I don't think you'll have to work to hard to remember Viper. Of course you'll have to also avoid:

Monarch Lathes ( http://www.cnczone.com/cg...2;t=000607;p=0 )

Graziano Lathes ( http://www.cnczone.com/cg...8;t=000306;p=0 )

South Bend Lathes ( http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/...cation.html#28 )

And most other makes if your criteria is whether the machine can develop an oil leak or not.

Best,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

BobWarfield.....I understand but these other machines are decades old....their seals have dried out....the IH machines are new to very new and I suspect the problem is a manufacturing problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Viper, maybe this thread and quote will be more on point then:

"He said: You may not experience this, being a HSM, but every Enco I've ever seen leaked out of the rear spindle after some run time

I have honestly never ran a machine that did not drip some oil from somewhere. Even a brand new LeBlond that was bought where I worked in the 90's leaked some.
    I am just sad that it was not bought from machinetoolonline.com, but they are not anywhere near as bas as you will see when people complain on the internet."

http://www.cnczone.com/ub...51.html#000008

Best,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay Bob....all gear head lathes or mills will leak to some extent...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe all mills leak some, but this leak seems a little more than just 'normal'. I wonder if there is a flaw in the casting like youngfg had? I wouldn't be quite as worried about it except that if I get oil on titanium before welding it just increases the risk that I will not be able to thoroughly clean it and end up contaminating the weld. The person I share the shop with cuts carbon fiber on his mill and can not afford ANY oil getting into it. Its a rong-fu knock off as well, but no leaking at all.

I guess i am going to have to take the whole thing apart again and do some more investigation. Either that or keep a rag handy an wipe up any oil before it drips. I will try and get a hold of Aaron at IH to discuss next week. This is really a pain I was not counting on with a brand new mill :-(

--Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Well cast iron is porous...buy yourself some of that magnaflux paint (I think that is the name)....it is used to show any cracks in metal objects under blacklight....used in the auto motor rebuilding industry.

If the leaks are from around the seals....then I would tend to believe that the runout may be a problem....if this is the problem you may look at making a oil slinger that spins the oil from the seal....or look at adding an inner seal....think of the seals that car engines have around the rotating crank....Heck if my Chevy truck leaked like that....I'd take it back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My IH did some oil dribbling, but mine was foaming oil escaping through the vent in the fill cap then runnin down behind front name plate and pooling up everywhere, i fixed it with some pipe fittings to allow the oil to pool in pipe like a radiator resevoir. so far it works.

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine has a small leak around the spindle somewhere. I just give it a quick wipe before I use it, it's so small I haven't tried tracing it. It's a bit like my old Triumph Bonneville, when they STOP leaking oil, you start worrying

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My IH leaks pretty good. (At least I don't have to worry about rust!) I have noticed that when I'm running at anything except top speed, there is little or no leaking, but at the highest speed, there is a constant flow. So far, I've added about eight ounces of oil to keep the oil level at the line, which means that the 5-gallon pail that I bought should last quite awhile. I would prefer that the machine not drip oil, but I have to use lots of WD-40 when cutting aluminum anyway, so a little dripping just adds variety to the mixture.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mattinaustin View Post
    It was a little more challenging than I thought, but I was able to get the top plate off of the head and see the top seal. It was messed up, but I am not sure if it was done in the process of removing the top plate or if that is what was wrong all along.
    How did you get the top plate off? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cruiser - do you have a picture of this? This the same problem that I have. I think I understand what you are saying but if you do have a picture that would be great. I had assumed that the fill hole was some sort of metric thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    My IH did some oil dribbling, but mine was foaming oil escaping through the vent in the fill cap then runnin down behind front name plate and pooling up everywhere, i fixed it with some pipe fittings to allow the oil to pool in pipe like a radiator resevoir. so far it works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Top plate removal

Quote Originally Posted by kimoyo View Post
    How did you get the top plate off? Thanks.
    Hello Kimoyo,

I removed the motor by removing the bolts and lifting it off (you also have to disconnect the wires coming from the switch). Then I removed the top plate bolts. Next, I tightened the square head bolt that is sticking up on the front. That bolt serves as a lifting point and is used to break the seal. Once you start tightening, the finish coat will start to crack around the edge. Use a screw driver or something else to pry up on the opposite side of the top plate to keep it straight as it comes up. The top plate needs to come straight up and not at an angle in order to protect the seals and not bend anything. Its heavy and requires some effort. Once you do it once it becomes pretty easy.

Good luck.

By the way, no leaking since the last report. Not sure what that last little dribble was all about???

--Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Next, I tightened the square head bolt that is sticking up on the front. That bolt serves as a lifting point and is used to break the seal. Once you start tightening, the finish coat will start to crack around the edge. Use a screw driver or something else to pry up on the opposite side of the top plate to keep it straight as it comes up. The top plate needs to come straight up and not at an angle in order to protect the seals and not bend anything.
    Thanks!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some of you have asked for a pic of what i was talking about and here it is ! should be self explanitory, and so far it seems to work, time will tell !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IH Gasket Repair help-vent-jpg  
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Downloads
    Uploads

The number on the seals for my particular mill is 35X45X7 (TCM PART 35X45X7TC).
    Hey,

I just took apart my mill's head yesterday and it went very well. I just followed everything in this thread, (remember to have the spindle all the way up before you remove the quill lock) and everything was straight forward. Oh, something anyone else doing this might find very helpful. I spent about 20-30 mins messing around trying to get the seals out of the flange plate after I removed it from the mill. Then I clamped the plate down on the table. Pushed a flat head screwdriver (from the top) under the lip at the bottom of the first seal as much as could (it didn't go in that far). I balled up some paper towel and put it between the screwdriver and otherside of the top of the flange plate where the screwdriver was resting so I wouldn't dent the plate. Then I pushed down on the handle and the seal popped out in about 10 secs. Did the same with the second with no issues. I post a picture later on if I can.

I do have a few questions.

On the bottom of my seals that came out of the mill, my part number says "NAK TC 35 45 7 4C". I realize that both mattinaustin and I have the newer mill but is the seal Aaron sent out the same ones? Anyone know the product number for them at mcmaster carr?

Mattinaustin - I notice you had some issues with your quill bouncing up and down after you did this. Did you ever solve that? How far did you tighten the grub screws when you put them back on? Are they rubbing against the sleeve? Would the spring have anything to do with it? I was thinking it wouldn't but I realized that we might not tighten it back down as hard as the manufacturer does.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast