IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Cruiser - sweet looking enclosure!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that is really top notch , Good work MAN !!

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's another version of an enclosure for the IH mill, obviously not 100% finished, but close. Also my rendition of the IH hockey puck feet.

The mill also mounts 1/4" rubber vibration isolators. Cleanout is falicitated by two gasketed cleanout ports on each side of the mill. The plumbing is in place for full flood cooling plus a short quick disconnect hose for washing down.

I still have to install the plexiglas on the top and front. Dito for the electrical for the front mill power, lights and coolant switches. Since I acquired a manual on shot lube system on ebay, the manual pump will be mounted on the exterior; the mill already has the lube system installed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!-enclosure-jpg   IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!-enclosure2-jpg   IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!-enclosure3-jpg   IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!-feet-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nicely done bohica. what is the main frame made of? would love to see it once the mill is in place.

dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Loadedagain,

The main frame is 3x3x1/4 angle and 4x1/4 flat making a box. The mount pads are 4x5x1 flat. the rest of it is 1x1 angle and 16 ga. steel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lexan

Nice enclosure I work with Lexan a lot and would agree with you using it .I have been racking my brains (or lac of) to try to come up with a Aluminum frame type with domed Lex an I have vacuum forming machines and have been experimenting on different designs using .030 to .060 Lex an My Forming machine can do 1/4' but like you said ouch on the price. My Idea is to have the enclosure mounted to the table with holes and a dome top ,front side and one underneath that collects the shavings into a collector .The sides would have extrusions The main concept for me by having extrusions and domes is to cut down on the over all size of the in enclosure giving me more work space.If it doesn't pan out anyone in the market for some sky lights? lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IH Enclosures - Lets see some pics!-snow-087-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

There have been a lot of very nice enclosures posted here. Of course an enclosure does not have to be real fancy. Below is one built from 2x4s and plastic sheeting mainly just to keep the chips and mist confined. I may cover the top if it turns out the mist travels much. The electronics are housed in a Craftsman side cabinet. Someday I will build a more permanent enclosure of steel but until then this will work. I put a couple other pics in the gallery as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

just a silly question i guess, but i've been looking over the IH enclosure that was built on the site, as well some of the others here. how do you guys deal with chips in teh coolant? do you let the chips get into the coolant or do you use screens to wisk the coolant away while letting the chips rest, if the screens are used then how do you clean the chips off them after the fact.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    just a silly question i guess, but i've been looking over the IH enclosure that was built on the site, as well some of the others here. how do you guys deal with chips in teh coolant? do you let the chips get into the coolant or do you use screens to wisk the coolant away while letting the chips rest, if the screens are used then how do you clean the chips off them after the fact.
    My enclosure and mill is a lot smaller than the IH, but here is what I *should* have done.

At the drain, have a mesh screen (Maybe a mesh kitchen strainer upside down?) and then a fiber filter underneath. And then you have the small, lame, mesh basket in the coolant unit as a backup.

I let the chips accumulate in the enclosure, and then scoop them up the next morning when they are as drained and dry as they are going to get.

If you have the room, having a screen/fiber filter pan underneath the drain would probably be good.

-Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i built a little cup for the drain and filled it with steel wool. filters out most of the chips. the rest can be scooped out of the coolant sump.

dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MAX711 View Post
    It's designed around the IH square column mill and will accomodate full travel on all axis (it's bigger than it looks!). The clamshell doors allow for easy loading or for extra long work pieces. I've finished the base but lack the tools to make all the sheet metal parts and have not had much luck with local machine shops.
    Sorry to jump into the thread in the middle, however I'd suggest that you talk to a local laser cutter. Usually they have both cutting and braking equipment for people such as yourself who need the formed parts but don't have the equipment. Just send them the flat pattern files and a drawing of the finished parts you want and they'll brake it up for ya. Get a few quotes from different shop's, usually they are all pretty close [ I usually get w/in 1-2% on larger orders] but its worth checking.

It's what I'd do

Jerry [well, if I didn't have all the braking/shearing equipment at my disposal @ work ]

JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another handy coolant chip cleaner is a sump tank. Metal chips are heavier than the fluid so if you use a tank (bleach bottle or something) with the outlet a few inches above the bottom of the tank, much of the metal will sink to the bottom instead of going out the outlet.

Just make sure the sump is easily movable so you can disconnect and dump out the chips!

Downloads
    Uploads

My solution is to screen the base of the IH mill so the larger chips cannot flow under the mill and down the drain which is under the mill. In order to screen out the fines that do pass through, the drain empties into the coolant tank through a 12x12 filter made from 3/4 thick biofilter material (used for ponds). This should eliminate virtually all of the metal from the cutting fluid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bohica View Post
    My solution is to screen the base of the IH mill so the larger chips cannot flow under the mill and down the drain which is under the mill. In order to screen out the fines that do pass through, the drain empties into the coolant tank through a 12x12 filter made from 3/4 thick biofilter material (used for ponds). This should eliminate virtually all of the metal from the cutting fluid.
    I am definately going to screen under my mill on the next revision of my enclosure - currently I just have a chip basket at the end of all my 1 1/2" waste water piping and nasty long drill swarf is forming its own fantastic chip filters within the pipes and preventing the table from draining properly!

Downloads
    Uploads

how about some photos of this stuff. is it really that hard to post photos?

Downloads
    Uploads

Runner4404spd,

Sorry, will post pic when I get it installed (shortly, I hope). Still building. But it is just simple 2 layer screen, 1/4 galvanized overlain with window screen, either bonded or screwed to mill base.

Downloads
    Uploads

right now i'm debating about building a stand similar to what is on the IH website, with a crossover to something similar to what is on the tormach website. the tormach one seems to all for better draining with the slanted sides. i would love to make mine out of steel but i think funding will prohibit this and it will have to be wood. i will cover it in a fiberglass resin so the top stays fully water proof. any tips on getting the machine level when its in the cabinet? especially building it from wood, i would think that it would be necessary to get the base fairly close, so its not tweaked.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost is, of course, a relative factor. My steel enclosure cost about $500, and that included $100 for polyurethane paint. Overall, I thought this to be within reason. It certainly helps that my wife thinks tools are really neat; I get tools for every occasion. Eat your hearts out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bohica View Post
    Cost is, of course, a relative factor. My steel enclosure cost about $500, and that included $100 for polyurethane paint. Overall, I thought this to be within reason. It certainly helps that my wife thinks tools are really neat; I get tools for every occasion. Eat your hearts out.
    Bohica, do you have a large bending brake that you used to make your enclosure, did you have it done, or do you just have a technique for bending the sheet metal?

Very nice work. I want to build a pan similar to yours and then use aluminum extrusions to take the walls up high enough to catch the rest of the coolant.

best,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

No, don't have a brake that size. I had a local steel supplier shear and bend the necessary parts. There were only 4 pieces than were bent with a 1" lip and 2 plain flat pieces, all out of 16ga steel. The cost of this was about $190.

When mounted, the table will be about 12" below the walls. I will have a plexiglass top, hinged over the table area for access. This should keep the coolant contained. But this is one of those things that I will only find out once the mill is in operation.

Last edited by bohica; 01-27-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast