Offering my services and support to CNCzone! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offering my services and support to CNCzone!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ajax Lathe Kit

I have a 5 year old Ajax kit which I am now installing. I would like to use existing encoders on Bridgeport Romi cnc lathe. Dual handwheel, factory x,z axes. These are Heidainhain 600 line encoders. Any suggestions on incorporating into control appreciated.
    jh

Downloads
    Uploads

The line count is a little low (I like to have at least 1000-line; preferably 2000), but as long as they are 5V differential line driver encoders you can certainly try running with them.

You will have to figure out which wires are which, then make your encoder cables to go to a DB9M connector at the PC. Pin-out at that end is as follows:

pin 1 n/c
    pin 2 0V (aka COM)
    pin 3 ch. /Z (aka /C)
    pin 4 ch. /A
    pin 5 ch. /B
    pin 6 ch. Z (aka C)
    pin 7 ch. A
    pin 8 ch. B
    pin 9 +5VDC (aka Vcc)

On the Machine Configuration menu in the control software, enter 2400 for your encoder counts/rev (4x the line count).

Test the encoders and your wiring with motor power off first. Just go to the PID Configuration screen, turn the encoder by hand, and see if you get the expected counts in the "Abs Pos" column for whatever axis input you have it plugged in to.

If that works, but when you power up the motor and try to jog it jerks (briefly runs away) in the opposite direction, then you need to swap your A's with your B's, to make the encoder count the other way.

Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CNCSNW for fast reply. I created some fuzzyness with the earlier statement. I just mounted x, z servo axis motors. They have 5000 line encoders. I connected these to cpu7 card and set PID parameters. Everything looks great including powered run on bench. The spindle encoder is 1250 line count. It was checked and programmed with PID parameters. All encoders are Heidenhain. My Ajax retro kit includes pendant. I did not get a manual pulse generator. There is a pigtail modular connector in the pendant for an mpg. Also on the blister pad is a off-on for mpg. So what I would like to do is use the x,z handwheels which are connected to encoders as manual pulse generators. Can I do this by connecting to pendant mpg connector? Is there a wiring diagram available for the pendant connections?

Thanks again
    jh

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562777961kvzQOe

Downloads
    Uploads

Centroid (Ajax) supports two kinds of MPG handwheels: a single, TTL handwheel plus axis select switch that goes through the jog panel (this is what the connector in your pendant is for); or multiple handwheels with differential encoders, that plug directly in to CPU encoder inputs (next to the axis and spindle encoders on the back of the PC).

You would want the latter for the dual handwheels on the Bridgeport. Since you are already using three inputs for your axis and spindle encoders, you will need to have access to the fifth encoder input so you can connect both handwheels. #5 should be present on the CPU board; you may or may not have a ribbon cable to the back panel for it. I think you also need at least software version 8.10 (DOS CNC7) to do this.

Encoder-driven handwheels are configured by parameter. See Parameters 128 and 129 in your manual for mapping and examples.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNCSNW
    Thanks for info. I upgraded os to ver 8.23. I will let you know how installation turns out.
    jh

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have recently accuired a Hurco SM-1 knee mill and was considering a retrofit with an Ajax controller. Has this been done in the past? Would I be able to keep the servo motors?

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your servo motors are dc brushed the Ajax retrofit should be compatible. Check with Matt at Ajax for specifics. He is really helpful. I am finishing a lathe retrofit with Ajax and will soon have final comments.

jh

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jh,

it was Matt that I talked to and he indicated that he needed this info to be able to know whether I could use these servos.

Thanks

Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Same Problem

Hi

I am undergoing through the same problem.

==> After M19, my spindle orients properly but it jerks suddenly

==> Also if i rotate the Clamped spindle by hand it moves 2 to 3 degrees & again tries to restore its original position.

I think i should increase the clamping force on spindle after M19 - BUT

1. Is it possible to change through Parameter Setting ?
    2. What is the recommeded force ?
    3. What is maximum force & need to know if any consequences are there if the force exceeds maximum limit ?

Thanks...Need Help Urgently.

Ash

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default M19 Spindle orientation

Ashih

I think this post on the Ajax will help answer your questions:

http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewto...=35&p=124#p124

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Gr8 Help

Hi

Thanks for your Reply. Your post was the one for which i was looking since long.

As mentioned previously, I think that my spindle oscillates after M19 command. It doesn't happen everytime but sometimes it happens.

Can u recomend the best value for GAIN, to skip this oscillation on my spindle. ?

Also can u recommend the best value for Tolerance Window to allow high accuracy spindle positioning. ?

Need Help !

Thanks
    Ash

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homing

When homing, M92 P11 Q12 R3, first axis zeroes and then machine stops. I get no movement from y or z. Also M92 P12, or M92 P3 gets no movement either. Is this a brain problem, or M92 Macro?
    Thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe

I'm trying to get my new ajax controller to work on my Lathe. went with the gpio4d, cnc11( because Mach 3 and ajax don't work together for a lathe) and A-M-C drives, used the glentek servo motors that the machine had. Got everything connected and tested. even the drives. can drive the motors both ways with the test pots, so the drives and motors are hooked up right. the ok LED is lighted up so there's no fault. but when I command a move the display says moving, feed-rate says 100% for a bit and then turns red and hangs up. anybody had that problem before? Also haven't found out how to manually jog yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, that's a little like saying "My car wouldn't start this morning. Has anyone else had that problem before?"

My guesses, in order of likelihood:
    1) Drive is inhibited or not enabled, due to incorrect wiring or to an incorrect PLC program.
    2) Drive directional inhibits are active, preventing motion (limit switches not wired?).
    3) Analog reference signal not reaching drive.
    4) Analog reference signal is zero due to incorrect PID gains (all zero).

On the Alt-I PLC diagnostic display, do you see OUT17, OUT18, OUT19 and/or OUT20 turn green during the time it says "moving..."?

Does it really "hang up", or does it report a stall condition (e.g. "411 X axis (#1) full power w/o motion" / "Stall: job cancelled")?

Do the axis enable LEDs on the GPIO4D board come on during the time it says "moving..."?

Can you measure an analog voltage (climbing to 10V as the load meter bar goes into the red, then dropping to zero when the control reports a stall) on the analog out and analog common terminals of the GPIO4D header?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

well my inputs for axis 1 and 2 aren't lit up. up till now I thought they were because axis 3 and 4 have jumpers on and I mixed them up in my head. what should parameter 300, 301, 308 and 309 be?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Offering my services and support to CNCzone!

Different Ajax. This forum relates to the "Ajax" division of Centroid CNC controls.

Perhaps you could try a forum about Fagor controls, or contact Ajax Machine Tools in the UK, if that is who made your machine.

Mod Edit:
    post moved to Fagor forum.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 10-06-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123