Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn


Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

  1. #1
    Member Chris D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    547
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Greetings all,

    Recently i switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn for my CNC Router control. In this video, I explain a lot of details about the machine and about the controller as well as why I switched. If you have a CNC router, this video may be beneficial to you if you are looking for improvements.



    Cheers!

    Chris D

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    955
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Greetings all,

    Recently i switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn for my CNC Router control. In this video, I explain a lot of details about the machine and about the controller as well as why I switched. If you have a CNC router, this video may be beneficial to you if you are looking for improvements.
    Cheers!

    Chris D
    Fine if you only need basic functionality from a 3 / 4 axis machine.
    Otherwise, this system is heavily limited.

    If you have servo's, encoders, tool changers, and the like.... Be prepared to spend well over £2000.


    UC300eth and UCCNC gets my vote.



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1758
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Fine if you only need basic functionality from a 3 / 4 axis machine.
    Otherwise, this system is heavily limited.

    If you have servo's, encoders, tool changers, and the like.... Be prepared to spend well over £2000.


    UC300eth and UCCNC gets my vote.
    My first question to most that offer a strong opinion on the internet: Have you used both products so that you can offer an opinion based on your experience?

    The reason I ask is that some folks just seem to get their feelings hurt when others speak of a product they dont have. Its the "fan boy" mentality that menally converts "the one I own" or "the one I could afford" into "the best there is". No one controller can be the best for everyone.

    I will agree that the Centroid Acorn, by design, is limited to 4 axes of motion control, BUT the functionality is far beyond basic in general and UCCNC in particular. It is a full blown industrial CNC controller pared down to DIY affordability. Its limits are 4 axes of motion, nothing else.

    I am building Acorn ATC servo systems on a weekly basis and the control features are top shelf. As a commercial system builder I used your exact combination as a base for a controller line, but ran into an issue with 3 axis helical movement, that turned the machine into a jackhammer. So I stopped using them. My opinion, or actually my choice, as I am voting with my checkbook, is Centroid Acorn, based on my experience with both products.

    My current daily driver is a 40 tool ATC "bridgemill" of sorts, controlled by Centroid Acorn. There is nothing basic about the features and function to operate this machine.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn-fabmaster-atc-40-jpg  
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    Control & ATC Retrofits
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com [url]www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos[/url]


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12935
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Fine if you only need basic functionality from a 3 / 4 axis machine.
    Otherwise, this system is heavily limited.

    If you have servo's, encoders, tool changers, and the like.... Be prepared to spend well over £2000.


    UC300eth and UCCNC gets my vote.
    Again you don't know what you are talking about you should focus / post on things that you do know something about

    Acorn has no limitations can do anything UCCNC can do and more

    4 axis may be a limitation for some but there are ways around this as well I set up one which is using 5 axis using the standard 4 axis Acorn board

    Mactec54


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    341
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Last year I switched a machine from Mach 3 to an acorn. I'm now installing an acorn on a second machine and will never go back to Mach 3.



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    I installed acorn on a router and wasn’t happy with it, it seems much more designed for milling type operations than router.

    I switched that machine to an AXBB-e and UCCNC and I’m pretty happy with it on that machine as well as on 2 plasma tables.

    I’m in process of retrofit to a dm4400 small VMC and will likely try the acorn out on it.

    Just my opinion.

    Duke



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    341
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    I installed acorn on a router and wasn’t happy with it, it seems much more designed for milling type operations than router.

    I switched that machine to an AXBB-e and UCCNC and I’m pretty happy with it on that machine as well as on 2 plasma tables.

    I’m in process of retrofit to a dm4400 small VMC and will likely try the acorn out on it.

    Just my opinion.

    Duke
    I'm not sure how long it's been since you tried an acorn. They do have a router version of it now. I guess it's maybe a fault or a feature of the acorn that it is constantly evolving. For me it has been positive. I do use it on a mill though and not a router.



  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    68
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Again you don't know what you are talking about you should focus / post on things that you do know something about

    Acorn has no limitations can do anything UCCNC can do and more

    4 axis may be a limitation for some but there are ways around this as well I set up one which is using 5 axis using the standard 4 axis Acorn board
    If I knew that before...
    Recently this year I upgraded my Planet CNC MK1 DIY Controller for MK3 because I needed that damn 5 axis, and I have looked long time before for Acorn but was limited by 4 axis.
    Now of course I am very sorry and not recommend to anyone Planet CNC.

    Maybe one day I will buy the Acorn controller.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn

Why I switched from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn