Newbie Centroid Oak controller to Glentek sma 9115 hook up

Thread: Centroid Oak controller to Glentek sma 9115 hook up

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Centroid Oak controller to Glentek sma 9115 hook up

Is it possible to run a Glentek sma 9115 servo amplifier with a Centroid Oak controller? I'm not certain about the pin to pin connections. Neither Centroid nor Glentek were able to provide a Schematic for me. Does anyone have experience with this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Centroid Oak controller to Glentek sma 9115 hook up

No specific experience with either device, but in looking at the manuals for both devices: Yes, Oak will run the the Glentek drives.

See Appendix B of the Oak manual, pages 4 of 20 and 5 of 20 for pinouts
    https://www.centroidcnc.com/download...all_manual.pdf

In the Glentek manual see Appendix A, page 32 for pinouts
    https://www.glentek.com/download/sma...al/?wpdmdl=360

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't the Glentek drive use 5VDC logic for its enable (actually an inhibit) input and its fault output? You might find it challenging to interface that with the Oak, which expects 24VDC logic.

You could, of course, take the Oak axis interface cable to an intermediate breakout board, then insert relays or transistor logic where needed to translate and invert signals.

The analog reference in and the encoder out should not present any problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the pin-outs of both devices. The encoder part of the interface seems pretty straight forward. Its the rest of the pins I'm unsure of . For example: Pins 1&2 on the Glentek are analog inputs. On the Centroid OAK pin 26 is An Req and pin28 is An In. Which pin gets connected to which? I'm looking for help in actual pin to pin connection between these two devices.

Downloads
    Uploads

On the Centroid, Analog Request is the command signal. This would connect to the Glentek pin 1

On the Centroid, +5V return is the common. This would connect to the Glentek pin 2

It does appear the the Centroid might be a single ended Analog Request, so it may be possible that the Centroid +5V return would be connected to the Glentek common, pin 3. This is done on some drive/controller combinations. If the first connection does seem to work properly, then connect as the second connection.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA