Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?

Thread: Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?

I'm curious what it would take to get a controller like the Oak to work with a ATC. Lots of custom PLC programming, or is a carousel tool changer pretty routine thing that would be sort of plug and play? I also have a shot pin spindle orient on this machine and that seems like it might be somewhat non-standard.

It's a '93 VF-1 that I'm needing to retrofit. Seems like it would have been done by many others at this point but I don't see a lot online (DIY type retrofits anyway).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?

If you go here
    https://centroidcncforum.com/viewfor...670e3ee4b6112a
    to centroid's website and search on "vmc" you will find several instances of people converting their machines to Centroid CNC, though none seem to specifically state VF-1.
    HTH

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I found one post by a guy asking similar questions. It wasn't really answered. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm pretty sure the spindle orient can be handled by the system, just not sure how much work I'll have to do. I've looked into adding a spindle encoder and it doesn't look too bad for these machines. I've even heard of kit but haven't seen any such thing in the wild yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Beckham View Post
    I'm curious what it would take to get a controller like the Oak to work with a ATC. Lots of custom PLC programming, or is a carousel tool changer pretty routine thing that would be sort of plug and play? I also have a shot pin spindle orient on this machine and that seems like it might be somewhat non-standard.

It's a '93 VF-1 that I'm needing to retrofit. Seems like it would have been done by many others at this point but I don't see a lot online (DIY type retrofits anyway).
    Sam, they have a "Standard" umbrella PLC. You would have to check to see if your Umbrella changer is typical, slide in out, drawbar clamp unclamp, Tool 1 sensor, Tool counter, forward/reverse carousel motor etc. Best to post on the Centroid CNC User's forum and ask the question. You'get quicker responses there: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=64
    Post pictures of your machine, make and model, pictures of the control cabinet, close ups of the servo drives, pictures and lables of the servo motors, pictures of the spindle drive and spindle motor etc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?-fadal_3016_cnc_retrofit_1600-jpg  
    Last edited by Marty_Escarcega; 11-15-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will do that. I haven't bought a control yet so I was hesitant to post the question on their forum. I think I've pretty well decided I'm going to go with the Oak though.

Added some pics. Not much to look at yet. DMM is still building the servos and the VFD is backordered. I do have quite a stack of boxes from Automation Direct, Grainger and MSC piled up out there now though. Lots of wiring to deal with in the mean time. I plan on starting to get a few things mounted in the cabinet and finishing up the servo adapters this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?-front-jpg   Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?-side2-jpg   Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?-cabinet-jpg  
    Last edited by Sam_Beckham; 11-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone use Centroid control on a VMC?

Good looking machine!

I have Centroid on my 5’ x 8’ cnc router. Just started a cnc mill retrofit that will also get Centroid. Very happy with their control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Contact Alfa Controls. They have developed a Centroid Retrofit solution for older HAAS Machines:
    Industrial Automation Solutions Integrator | Alfa Controls

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Marty. I saw that and that's actually what turned me on to Centroid controls. Not sure how willing they would be to sell me their PLC programming but if I get stuck it's worth a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Beckham View Post
    Thanks Marty. I saw that and that's actually what turned me on to Centroid controls. Not sure how willing they would be to sell me their PLC programming but if I get stuck it's worth a try.
    I think you would be far better off to buy from them. You would need to know all their IO connections. You could email and ask them for a price for their schematic and report file. They may be willing to sell it to you.