Newbie Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller

Thread: Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller

Default Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller

Retrofitting a D&M lathe with a AcornCNC motion controller and am a little weary of how to hook up the DC drive to the motion. However I could just be making a mountain out of a mole hill in my head. Here's what I know:

*The motion controller supplies a 0-10 vdc signal to the spindle drive
    *The DC drive uses a 10 volt reference signal and an external 10K POT to control spindle speed

Is it as simple as connecting the motion controllers 10 volt signal to terminals 2&3? (see the attached photos)

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joey

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller-screenshot349-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller

Quote Originally Posted by Joey2point0 View Post
    Is it as simple as connecting the motion controllers 10 volt signal to terminals 2&3? (see the attached photos)
    That's the way I read it. Looks like pin 2 is the common or signal ground.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Adding the DC Drive manual, if additional information is needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheetah II DC Drive And AcornCNC controller-skmbt_c28417021009160-1-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

According to the manual schematic pins 2 and 3 form a standard 0-10V comparator input circuit. Pin 2 is common, Pin 3 is the 0-10V command signal.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

After a little more research I have good reason to believe that it is not possible and will fry my Acorn. The DC Drive is not isolated from the AC supply.

From a quick search/read KBSI-240D Stand-Alone Signal Isolator should solve my problems but I need to do some deeper digger to be sure.

If anyone with experience can shine some more light on this it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I am going to move to Acorns Forum since it seems more fitting. Ill report back when I have a surefire solution

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the KBSI-240D can't hurt, another layer of isolation is a good thing and will give you piece of mind. If you look at the schematic, the signal lines are isolated from the AC input power by transformer T1 in the drive. 0V does not seem to be connected to earth ground at any point.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Using the KBSI-240D can't hurt, another layer of isolation is a good thing and will give you piece of mind. If you look at the schematic, the signal lines are isolated from the AC input power by transformer T1 in the drive. 0V does not seem to be connected to earth ground at any point.
    I suppose I could do a simple conductivity test to determine this, will give it a go when I get home today.