Centroid Homing Question (Linux 2.72 software on Ajax DM45-NC Mill)

Thread: Centroid Homing Question (Linux 2.72 software on Ajax DM45-NC Mill)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Centroid Homing Question (Linux 2.72 software on Ajax DM45-NC Mill)

Ok - so my mill does not have hard limit switches or homing switches, so the start up requires that I jog to marked locations on the X, Y and Z axis then press Cycle Start to set the home. The X and Z are actually marked by plates on the table and column, but the Y has no marking. Here is my question - when I put the X axis on the mark and press Cycle Start, the table moves about 1/4", then sets the home there. If I just park the machine, the home creeps 1/4" every startup. The Y and Z do not do this - is there a setting somewhere that affects this? It acts like the X axis is trying to "find" a switch or something. The marks are in the middle of the X axis travel, not at one end or the other.

Thanks, Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Centroid Homing Question (Linux 2.72 software on Ajax DM45-NC Mill)

Try changing M91/X to M92/X in your cnc10m.hom file.

It is moving to the first encoder index pulse it finds in the designated direction. When this feature was first implemented, both M91 and M92 moved the same direction (probably plus) looking for the index pulse. The marks on your machine were probably applied based on that behavior. In later software, this was fixed so that M91 would search in the minus direction, and M92 would search in the plus direction. The Park feature in v2.72 may still assume homing in the plus direction (M92) if it cannot determine homing direction by looking at the software travel limits (which it cannot, if your home position is in the middle instead of at one end).

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks - now I understand what is happening. The marks on the X and Z axis are small plates screwed to the table, column, head and saddle. I suppose they didn't put one on the Y since it would be nearly impossible to see. I'm guessing that the belt has been replaced or removed for some reason so the motor pulse ended up away from the original position. Going to do a little playing with the homing location. Also, is there an editor on the Linux system that would let me easily edit the file or will I need to copy it off and copy it back to get the file edited? Ever since I bought the machine I have wondered if it would be worthwhile to add limit switches...

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok - found the editor and changed the file - seems to home pretty close to the mark now.