Thread: Floppy failure 80 m15-5

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Floppy failure 80 m15-5

M15-5
    serial 4189

pcm 6890 bios rev 1.7 updated 1/7/2003 400mhz 66x6

on boot up i get a floppy 80 error. I tried replacing floppy drive with another and still get the error i also replaced the ribbon cable and also still get the error.

I noticed that my motherboard has a slot cn3 for USB Drives.. I checked the cmos and it is keeping time etc so battery should be good

What can we do to troubleshoot the floppy further and or ad USB

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Floppy failure 80 m15-5

Is the floppy drive type correctly entered in the Standard CMOS Setup menu? If something other than 3.5" 1.44MB is selected, you would probably get errors.

Otherwise, it is sounding like a problem with the FDD controller on the motherboard.

Are you running DOS and CNC7, or Linux and CNC10?

If you are running Linux and CNC10, and have CNC10 v1.21 or higher, then you just need a cable pigtail in order to use USB thumb drives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have dos cnc7

Cmos is setup correctly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, USB is not supported in DOS. Does the LED on the floppy drive ever turn on when you power the system up? It could be that the floppy ribbon cable isn't installed correctly. Make sure that the red line, which designates pin 1, is facing towards the center of the floppy drive. Another thing to check is to make sure that you are getting power to the floppy drive. Are you sure that the replacement floppy drive was in fact good? The only other option that I can think of would be a USB-to-floppy emulator which allows you to use USB on a DOS based system. The only catch is that the USB has to be partitioned into 1.44MB partitions. If the issue is in fact with the motherboard, though, the emulator will still not work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the cost of installing Windows in the windows base system on this motherboard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are asking about converting your existing M15 console into the new Centroid CNC11 system which runs on Windows 10 CENTROID M15 CNC control upgrade to M39S, Trade in your M15 for a new M39S., you are looking at approximately $5500. If you are asking about installing a new hard with Windows installed, you can do that but you will also need to install the CNC7 software onto the hard drive, and the CNC7 software is a DOS based software. Since CNC7 is a DOS based software, the Windows that you install can't be any higher than Windows 98 as Microsoft stopped using true DOS after that version. There is software out there such as DOSBox that allows you to run DOS based programs in a new Windows environment but I can't guarantee that will work as something like that has never been tested. If you wanted to just get USB support onto that control, an easier way would be to get a new SSHD with CNC10 v2.36 and install a USB pigtail onto that motherboard like cncsnw mentioned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

GMJERIC, were you able to get this resolved? I had a very similar issue a couple days ago but was getting error 40 instead of 80. I think they may point to the same error though. I assume your floppy drive worked before? The way I got around it was making the B: drive the 1.44 MB 3.5" Floppy, not the A drive, then set Swap Floppy Drive (or something like that) in the BIOS to Enabled. Sounds hokey but works. The PC still sees the floppy as A: even though there is no A: drive enabled.