manual quill for M-15 Centroid knee mill retro.

Thread: manual quill for M-15 Centroid knee mill retro.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default manual quill for M-15 Centroid knee mill retro.

I have a Vectrax MSC Centroid M-15 knee mill that I would like to modify the quill to function as the X & Y axis in "free" mode. I realize the only way to make that hapen is to replace the rotary encoder with a 6" glass scale. Tha z axis kit is an early Elrod design, and by drilling a 1/4" access hole that lines up with the ball nut housing clamp screw when at the bottom of travel, I can free the nut from the clamp housing and have a freed quill. With the glass scale reader head attached to the clamp housing I should "theoretically" have a manual Z dro like the X & Y if there is a way to go into setup and activate a Z axis free command. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help,

Woody

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: manual quill for M-15 Centroid knee mill retro.

Yes, that is possible. It is routinely done with the newer Elrod kits, with his "Smart Z" feature (essentially the modifications you are describing).

Look up Machine Parameter #130 in the Operator's Manual. The level of support for various features depends upon your CNC7 (or CNC10) software version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, cncsnw, I sent an email to Centroid and they confirm it should be possible. They said they need to check the version I have to be sure, so I'll get that done. The only other thing I will need is a compatible scale for that vintage control. The encoder connector looks like a VGA connector with 9 pins, 4 over 5. An eBay search located only modern scales with many more pins.

dtw

Downloads
    Uploads

"Vintage" is not relevant. Each control system and DRO manufacturer is going to have their own convention for connector style and pin-out. You always have to adapt the scale you buy to the control you have.

Centroid's convention, on all DC-servo controls they have built in the last 24 years, is to use a male DE9 (commonly called a DB9) on the encoder or scale, plugging into a female DE9 receptacle on the control. The pin-out is:
    pin 1: n/c
    pin 2: COM (0VDC)
    pin 3: channel /Z
    pin 4: channel /A
    pin 5: channel /B
    pin 6: channel Z
    pin 7: channel A
    pin 8: channel B
    pin 9: Vcc (+5VDC)

As implied by the Vcc level and the complementary channels in the above list, you need to use an encoder or scale which operates on 5VDC and which provides a differential (line driver) output.
    For a quill scale, an index pulse (Z and /Z channels) is not required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rather than glass scales, you might look at magnetic scales. I have them on all of my machines. Much more compact, especially nice on the quill. Functionally just like glass scales. About $120/axis

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails manual quill for M-15 Centroid knee mill retro.-img_1356-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA