Need Help! Oak board to AMP-0040

Thread: Oak board to AMP-0040

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Oak board to AMP-0040

Has anyone ever tried to use an Centroid Oak board to control Fadal AMP-0040 amplifiers? Curious as to which pin on the axis drive on the Oak go to which pins on the amp. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

K

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oak board to AMP-0040

Quote Originally Posted by kwalz View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to use an Centroid Oak board to control Fadal AMP-0040 amplifiers? Curious as to which pin on the axis drive on the Oak go to which pins on the amp. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

K
    Did you ever get this resolved? I believe the AMP-0040 was made by Glentek? SMA8520-1. With some info from the AMP, perhaps its pin outs, that could help.

I just found this bit of info, is this your amp?:
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/A..._Amplifier.pdf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marty,

I did get this resolved. It took a bit of research and trial and error, but I got it up and running. If anyone else needs info on this, let me know. The encoder wires are NOT a straightforward hook up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kwalz View Post
    Marty,

I did get this resolved. It took a bit of research and trial and error, but I got it up and running. If anyone else needs info on this, let me know. The encoder wires are NOT a straightforward hook up.
    It would be nice if you could summarize what it took.
    How is your machine coming along? Any pictures of it and the install?
    Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oak board to AMP0040 (use GPIO4D instead)

For future reference, here is what I found about interfacing Fadal AMP0034 and AMP0040 AC drives with a Centroid control.

1) It is more straightforward to use an MPU11 and GPIO4D combination, rather than an Oak board.

Oak consolidates and simplifies connections, provided your drives look at lot like modern Yaskawa or Delta drives (24V logic; enable inputs; encoders powered from the drive; etc). Since the AMC and Glentek drives that Fadal used do not meet any of these assumptions, you would have to take the Oak axis interface cables to an intermediate breakout. At that point, you may as well just use a GPIO4D.

2) The encoders require 5VDC supplied from the CNC. This can be provided by the DE9 encoder inputs on the MPU11. Using the original Fadal cables -- and correcting A/B direction and index pulse polarity -- pin-out is as follows:
    Pin 1: n/c
    Pin 2: 0VDC BLK (2x) to J6 pins 7 & 8
    Pin 3: /Z WHT to J6 pin 5
    Pin 4: /A YEL to J6 pin 10
    Pin 5: /B RED to J6 pin 2
    Pin 6: Z ORG to J6 pin 6
    Pin 7: A BRN to J6 pin 9
    Pin 8: B GRN to J6 pin 1
    Pin 9: +5V BLU (2x) to J6 pins 3 & 4

3) The drives are enabled to default as soon as bus power is applied. There is an inhibit input, on J5 pin 4. Close it to +5V to inhibit the drive.

Since Centroid controls -- whether GPIO4D, Oak, OPTIC4, or other) assume that the drive is disabled until the control enables it, and since the provided enable signal functions only as a pull-down (close to 0VDC to enable drive), it is necessary to insert a form C relay for each axis. Use the normally-closed contacts of the relay to inhibit the drive, and activate the relay coil with the Centroid Enable output.
    a) Connect +VDC (whatever voltage your relay coils require; I used 24VDC) to A1 of each relay coil.
    b) Connect the 0VDC side of whatever supply powers the relay coils to the output common terminal on the Centroid board.
    If you are using the same supply that provides logic power for the GPIO4D board, then this connection is already made on H6
    (H6/COM is internally connected to the output commons on H11 - H14).
    c) Connect the Enable output of the Centroid board to the A2 terminal of each relay
    d) Connect +5VDC to the common terminal of each relay
    e) Connect the normally-closed terminal of each relay to the inhibit input (J5-4) of the respective amplifier

4) The drives have a "Fault" output (not an "Okay" or "Not-Fault" output, as we are accustomed to). The fault output is J5 pin 5. When all is well the drive pulls it to +12V through a weak (ca. 6K?) pull-up resistor. When the drive faults, it pulls J5-5 down to 0VDC.
    a) Configure the GPIO4D "fault" inputs for 12VDC, current-sourcing. I.e. install a 1K SIP in the SIP5 position, and connect +12VDC to the fault commons on H11-H14.
    b) Connect the Fault output of each drive to the fault input on each axis header.
    c) Either invert INP17 - INP20, or modify your PLC logic, so that an input that is closed to 0VDC is considered a fault.
    d) Connect the 0VDC side of whatever 12VDC supply you used in 4(a) above to J5 pin 8 (COM) on each drive.
    If you used the GPIO4D logic power supply (connected to H6) for +12V, then you can just connect J5-8 to the output common terminal of each axis header (pin 7 of H11-H14).

If you inadvertently pull down the drive's Fault output (J5-5) -- as I did when I tried configuring the fault inputs as current-sinking -- that will inhibit the drive.

5) The analog input is straightforward. I used the original Fadal cables:
    a) J4-1 Signal+ RED to GPIO4D analog out (pin 1 of H11-H14)
    b) J4-2 Signal- BLK, plus J4-3 COM via shield, to GPIO4D analog common (pin 2 of H11-H14).

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oak board to AMP0040 (use GPIO4D instead)

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    For future reference, here is what I found about interfacing Fadal AMP0034 and AMP0040 AC drives with a Centroid control.

1) It is more straightforward to use an MPU11 and GPIO4D combination, rather than an Oak board.

Oak consolidates and simplifies connections, provided your drives look at lot like modern Yaskawa or Delta drives (24V logic; enable inputs; encoders powered from the drive; etc). Since the AMC and Glentek drives that Fadal used do not meet any of these assumptions, you would have to take the Oak axis interface cables to an intermediate breakout. At that point, you may as well just use a GPIO4D.

2) The encoders require 5VDC supplied from the CNC. This can be provided by the DE9 encoder inputs on the MPU11. Using the original Fadal cables -- and correcting A/B direction and index pulse polarity -- pin-out is as follows:
    Pin 1: n/c
    Pin 2: 0VDC BLK (2x) to J6 pins 7 & 8
    Pin 3: /Z WHT to J6 pin 5
    Pin 4: /A YEL to J6 pin 10
    Pin 5: /B RED to J6 pin 2
    Pin 6: Z ORG to J6 pin 6
    Pin 7: A BRN to J6 pin 9
    Pin 8: B GRN to J6 pin 1
    Pin 9: +5V BLU (2x) to J6 pins 3 & 4

3) The drives are enabled to default as soon as bus power is applied. There is an inhibit input, on J5 pin 4. Close it to +5V to inhibit the drive.

Since Centroid controls -- whether GPIO4D, Oak, OPTIC4, or other) assume that the drive is disabled until the control enables it, and since the provided enable signal functions only as a pull-down (close to 0VDC to enable drive), it is necessary to insert a form C relay for each axis. Use the normally-closed contacts of the relay to inhibit the drive, and activate the relay coil with the Centroid Enable output.
    a) Connect +VDC (whatever voltage your relay coils require; I used 24VDC) to A1 of each relay coil.
    b) Connect the 0VDC side of whatever supply powers the relay coils to the output common terminal on the Centroid board.
    If you are using the same supply that provides logic power for the GPIO4D board, then this connection is already made on H6
    (H6/COM is internally connected to the output commons on H11 - H14).
    c) Connect the Enable output of the Centroid board to the A2 terminal of each relay
    d) Connect +5VDC to the common terminal of each relay
    e) Connect the normally-closed terminal of each relay to the inhibit input (J5-4) of the respective amplifier

4) The drives have a "Fault" output (not an "Okay" or "Not-Fault" output, as we are accustomed to). The fault output is J5 pin 5. When all is well the drive pulls it to +12V through a weak (ca. 6K?) pull-up resistor. When the drive faults, it pulls J5-5 down to 0VDC.
    a) Configure the GPIO4D "fault" inputs for 12VDC, current-sourcing. I.e. install a 1K SIP in the SIP5 position, and connect +12VDC to the fault commons on H11-H14.
    b) Connect the Fault output of each drive to the fault input on each axis header.
    c) Either invert INP17 - INP20, or modify your PLC logic, so that an input that is closed to 0VDC is considered a fault.
    d) Connect the 0VDC side of whatever 12VDC supply you used in 4(a) above to J5 pin 8 (COM) on each drive.
    If you used the GPIO4D logic power supply (connected to H6) for +12V, then you can just connect J5-8 to the output common terminal of each axis header (pin 7 of H11-H14).

If you inadvertently pull down the drive's Fault output (J5-5) -- as I did when I tried configuring the fault inputs as current-sinking -- that will inhibit the drive.

5) The analog input is straightforward. I used the original Fadal cables:
    a) J4-1 Signal+ RED to GPIO4D analog out (pin 1 of H11-H14)
    b) J4-2 Signal- BLK, plus J4-3 COM via shield, to GPIO4D analog common (pin 2 of H11-H14).
    Thanks for sharing this Marc!
    Marty