North America Unite - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unite

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Unite

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    The building trade around the world has been incredibly slow to adapt. The old builders who ran the companies still think in inches. It is starting to change here in Oz. Heck - you would think that 2" dressed would be 2" - it's more like 45 mm!

I can handle the timber sizes. It's piping sizes (as in pneumatics etc) which leave me bewildered. A 1/8" BSP looks more like 9.5 mm to me. HOW?

Cheers
    Roger
    In Sweden electricians use metric, plumbers use metric AND imperial, carpenters use mostly imperial but some material is metric. So yes, it's a real mess even here, but I guess Swedish bar tenders have no clue about how much is a pint or a half pint of beer, so if you ever come here just say "large" (0,5l) or "small" (0,3l) if you want a beer.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The comment regarding the misuse of English in a photography forum is to be deplored and assuredly is not a reason to advocate using "unites" here.
    It's just a general degradation of spelling knowledge or will of learning a language and it's peculiarities. Words ending with "s" normally means plural, but there are exceptions and lens is one of those. There is nothing called "len" so any spell checker will catch it. "Unite" is a verb "unit" is a noun, two completely different words and no spell checker will catch them, so one must KNOW the difference.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    I seem to recall that BSP is identical to DIN16288.
    Quite possibly.
    That just means the Germans wanted to use a German DIN label rather than the original British one. (cynically.)

I remember the Australian Standards body produced their own Australian Standard for (ASCII coding I think) once. What a waste of paper - especially as the wording in the document was no more than a direct reference to the ANSII standard!

Cheers
    Roger
    I don't know about the Australian standards, but in Sweden we have something similar called SIS, which is a government institute deciding which standard is valid in Sweden. Many of those as the same as as ANSI, but not necessarily all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12