North America Unite

Thread: Unite

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Unite

Hi

I 'd appreciate to know about unites in Canada.
    Does The industrial companies use Metric or inches unite? My meaning is on calipers and micrometers

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Unite

Most modern calipers and micrometers are digital and work equally well with both metric and imperial units.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi kstrauss

Thank you for reply.
    My meaning was to know the majority using of metric and imperial unite in Canada? Specially in industrial engineering field?

Downloads
    Uploads

Apart from the USA and (I think) Burma, the rest of the world is metric. This includes Canada.

I have no idea what Burma does, but America is a terrible mixture. The Hubble telescope would not focus at first because one of the contractors stayed in imperial while NASA was metric.

Cheers
    Roger
    PS: it is 'units', not 'unites'.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Apart from the USA and (I think) Burma, the rest of the world is metric. This includes Canada.

I have no idea what Burma does, but America is a terrible mixture. The Hubble telescope would not focus at first because one of the contractors stayed in imperial while NASA was metric.

Cheers
    Roger

..it also called lens (singular form) and lenses (plural form)...

...yet in many photography related forums people use "len" for singular form and "lens" for plural...

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers
    Roger

..it is also called lens (singular form) and lenses (plural form)...

...yet in many photography related forums people use "len" for singular form and "lens" for plural...

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Canada has been officially metric for many years. However, I live in the Toronto area and find it very difficult to purchase any supplies -- A4 copier paper, aluminum, steel, tooling, building materials, etc -- that have metric dimensions. Sheets of drywall are 4x8 feet, some materials are listed as 6.35mm thick, the majority of tooling on the KBC website is imperial and they don't even list metric socket head cap screws, etc, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

The building trade around the world has been incredibly slow to adapt. The old builders who ran the companies still think in inches. It is starting to change here in Oz. Heck - you would think that 2" dressed would be 2" - it's more like 45 mm!

I can handle the timber sizes. It's piping sizes (as in pneumatics etc) which leave me bewildered. A 1/8" BSP looks more like 9.5 mm to me. HOW?

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect that the issue with metrication of the building trades is more that buildings last for centuries and repairs/enhancements are often required. It makes no sense to purchase drywall in 1x2 metre sheets to repair a structure having studs on 16 inch centres. This has strayed rather far from the original question.

Usage of metric measurements in Canada depends on the destination of the products -- if for consumption in the US or Canada things are frequently done in imperial units. If intended for the EU or other metric places the work will be done in metric. Metric work will frequently result in higher costs due to the relative scarcity of metric supplies and tooling. If the original poster could explain the reason for his question a better answer might be forthcoming.

The comment regarding the misuse of English in a photography forum is to be deplored and assuredly is not a reason to advocate using "unites" here.

Downloads
    Uploads

buildings last for centuries
    I wish!
    Around here (Oz) it seems to be the fashion that a 30 year old house should be knocked down and replaced. The wastage is incredible. It seems (from Gov't action) that supporting the building trade is super-important.
    But otherwise I agree.

When Oz went metric back in the 60s we had a Metrification Board which made all sorts of rules - like banning the sale of dual-scale steel rulers (ie " & mm). I went on a small rampage about this (working in a Gov't Lab), arguing that since existing science gear was imperial, I needed dual-scale rulers. I think the Defense Dept may have chipped in, since they were buying USA weapons in imperial. Big political row ensued. Eventually I won and the MB had to withdraw its rules. Stupid idiots!

But BSP sizes are still insane.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps my aged brain is failing again but I seem to recall that BSP is identical to DIN16288.

Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to recall that BSP is identical to DIN16288.
    Quite possibly.
    That just means the Germans wanted to use a German DIN label rather than the original British one. (cynically.)

I remember the Australian Standards body produced their own Australian Standard for (ASCII coding I think) once. What a waste of paper - especially as the wording in the document was no more than a direct reference to the ANSII standard!

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm as cynical as they come. However, it does mean that BSP is probably more widely used than most metric standards.

Downloads
    Uploads

The building trade around the world has been incredibly slow to adapt. The old builders who ran the companies still think in inches. It is starting to change here in Oz. Heck - you would think that 2" dressed would be 2" - it's more like 45 mm!

I can handle the timber sizes. It's piping sizes (as in pneumatics etc) which leave me bewildered. A 1/8" BSP looks more like 9.5 mm to me. HOW?

Cheers
    Roger
    In Sweden electricians use metric, plumbers use metric AND imperial, carpenters use mostly imperial but some material is metric. So yes, it's a real mess even here, but I guess Swedish bar tenders have no clue about how much is a pint or a half pint of beer, so if you ever come here just say "large" (0,5l) or "small" (0,3l) if you want a beer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The comment regarding the misuse of English in a photography forum is to be deplored and assuredly is not a reason to advocate using "unites" here.
    It's just a general degradation of spelling knowledge or will of learning a language and it's peculiarities. Words ending with "s" normally means plural, but there are exceptions and lens is one of those. There is nothing called "len" so any spell checker will catch it. "Unite" is a verb "unit" is a noun, two completely different words and no spell checker will catch them, so one must KNOW the difference.

Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to recall that BSP is identical to DIN16288.
    Quite possibly.
    That just means the Germans wanted to use a German DIN label rather than the original British one. (cynically.)

I remember the Australian Standards body produced their own Australian Standard for (ASCII coding I think) once. What a waste of paper - especially as the wording in the document was no more than a direct reference to the ANSII standard!

Cheers
    Roger
    I don't know about the Australian standards, but in Sweden we have something similar called SIS, which is a government institute deciding which standard is valid in Sweden. Many of those as the same as as ANSI, but not necessarily all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Old thread i know, but Canada is metric on its face and imperial in its internal workings.
    Its easier to find metric fasteners in the USA than Canada.
    Canada doesn't manufacture any metric steel/aluminum- at least none i can find.
    Every machine shop ive been in: Its inches on the floor, metric on the drawing board for engineers/draftsmen. Its a battle of making things .984" or 1". 25mm or 25.4mm. Cant buy any .984" bar stock here in Canada.

The two most important numbers in Canadian economy are: 25.4 and .03937.

Downloads
    Uploads

IMHO there are few if any advantages of metric over imperial for a machinist. Just make it to the print. Regardless of the system, measurements use decimals rather than fractions (fractions win in imperial). But why do you care? The only problem is the confusion of things like 8mm and 5/16 bolts.