New Here HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24

Thread: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

  1. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    I was checking the Electrical Requirements again.

    SMM shows 3 Phase - 40A BUT there is NO * beside it stating that No Single Phase is Available.

    On the Mini Mill it shows Triple & Single Phase Amperage.

    I was told that running SMM on Single is possible but performance is reduced by 35%-50%

    Looks like i may be SOL on this without Phase converter! There goes anther $5K!

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP-smm-jpg  


  2. #14
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8072
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by CCF_CUSTOMS View Post
    I was checking the Electrical Requirements again.

    SMM shows 3 Phase - 40A BUT there is NO * beside it stating that No Single Phase is Available.

    On the Mini Mill it shows Triple & Single Phase Amperage.

    I was told that running SMM on Single is possible but performance is reduced by 35%-50%

    Looks like i may be SOL on this without Phase converter! There goes anther $5K!

    The spindle is double the Kw of the mini mill, you should look at a Phase Perfect converter, they are more expensive but are your best choice for clean efficient 3ph power

    Mactec54


  3. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The spindle is double the Kw of the mini mill, you should look at a Phase Perfect converter, they are more expensive but are your best choice for clean efficient 3ph power

    Locally here there is

    AMERICAN ROTARY
    PHASE QUEST

    These guys any good?

    They recommend their 40hp model. But fo say can operate off 30HP unit also.

    American say 98% efficiency.



  4. #16
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8072
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by CCF_CUSTOMS View Post
    Locally here there is

    AMERICAN ROTARY
    PHASE QUEST

    These guys any good?

    They recommend their 40hp model. But fo say can operate off 30HP unit also.

    American say 98% efficiency.
    And that is total Bs 98% try about 40% if that, the only company that could claim that is Phase Perfect, you will never get that with a RPC

    Mactec54


  5. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    And that is total Bs 98% try about 40% if that, the only company that could claim that is Phase Perfect, you will never get that with a RPC
    Does Phase Perfect have a location in Toronto? Also if RPC are not that efficient then does that mean Phase Perfect is a Static Converter?

    I'm pretty ignorant to these things so I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible. Lol. I have a machine sitting last 3 weeks that I can't use yet.

    Thanks!



  6. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    And that is total Bs 98% try about 40% if that, the only company that could claim that is Phase Perfect, you will never get that with a RPC
    I called the Phase Perfrct Distributor here for Ontario. They told me a 20hp unit is good for the 15hp machine.

    They sent me specs I have to review tonight.

    Since you have one can you give me some feed back from your experience.

    The cost is approx $7,600cad after tax. Double the price of a RPC.

    Also, where are u located? Canada or states?

    Thanks!

    Last edited by CCF_CUSTOMS; 02-13-2018 at 11:30 PM.


  7. #19
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8072
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by CCF_CUSTOMS View Post
    I called the Phase Perfrct Distributor here for Ontario. They told me a 20hp unit is good for the 15hp machine.

    They sent me specs I have to review tonight.

    Since you have one can you give me some feed back from your experience.

    The cost is approx $7,600cad after tax. Double the price of a RPC.

    Also, where are u located? Canada or states?

    Thanks!
    I did not say I had one, but I do have one and yes they cost around $7,500, for that size, yes they have no moving parts if that is what you mean, they do have 2 fans to keep them cool, but are not what is called a static converter, I'm in the USA

    Mactec54


  8. #20
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22762
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by CCF_CUSTOMS View Post
    Its was wired correctly, The Colors were just swapped. at all time the hot was only on outside and center was a dead line.


    The Supply to the machine comes from a Single Phase supply The Neutral is not going to anything. it is a deadline.

    Only outsides Hot, 125V & 125V.

    Spindle is 15k rpm, 15HP. it is the Upgraded Option.
    Incidentally many 3ph NFB's (Non-Fused Breakers) need to see current through all three phase connections, therefore it is common industrial practice to loop one of the hot (L1 or L2) back through from the outer to centre connection when using it for 1ph .
    Also if using the Phase Perfect I would ensure that any non 3ph loads, i,e, single phase transformers etc, are fed off of the 2phases derived from L1, L2 and not the generated phase.
    Al.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP-phase-perf-jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.


  9. #21
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Incidentally many 3ph NFB's (Non-Fused Breakers) need to see current through all three phase connections, therefore it is common industrial practice to loop one of the hot (L1 or L2) back through from the outer to centre connection when using it for 1ph .
    Also if using the Phase Perfect I would ensure that any non 3ph loads, i,e, single phase transformers etc, are fed off of the 2phases derived from L1, L2 and not the generated phase.
    Al.
    Hey Al, thanks for replying.

    I have my supply coming in to a splitter box. From there it feeds a 1 phase compressor and the second out put would feed the Phase Perfect unit. The Phase Perfect would only be used to power the 15hp CNC. Nothing else.


    In your opinion is a Digital unit like Phase Perfect worth the cost compared to a RPC like American Rotary. It's a big additional cost that I was not expecting but don't want issues either.

    Thanks.

    Last edited by CCF_CUSTOMS; 02-14-2018 at 01:36 PM.


  10. #22
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22762
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    The Phase Perfect is obviously the better choice, it retains much more balance on the generated phase compared to VFD which can in some cases drop voltage on load.
    Although for RPC's I only have experience building and tuning them, not the off the shelf versions.
    The single phase loads I refered to would be in the control cabinet, motion controller etc , not external ones.
    Incidentally what is the nature of the 3ph loads, if only for the spindle, some have used a standard VFD for this and fed the rest from the 240v 1 phase.
    Al.

    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.


  11. #23
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8072
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Incidentally many 3ph NFB's (Non-Fused Breakers) need to see current through all three phase connections, therefore it is common industrial practice to loop one of the hot (L1 or L2) back through from the outer to centre connection when using it for 1ph .
    Al.
    Not in this case the Hp is to large on this machine for a Single phase connection

    Mactec54


  12. #24
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8072
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by CCF_CUSTOMS View Post
    Hey Al, thanks for replying.

    I have my supply coming in to a splitter box. From there it feeds a 1 phase compressor and the second out put would feed the Phase Perfect unit. The Phase Perfect would only be used to power the 15hp CNC. Nothing else.


    In your opinion is a Digital unit like Phase Perfect worth the cost compared to a RPC like American Rotary. It's a big additional cost that I was not expecting but don't want issues either.

    Thanks.
    Night and day better, some machining centers don't like the RPC even the CNC rated units, you should talk to Haas as they do this all the time, they will give you the best answer, as to what to use

    Mactec54


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP

HAAS SUPER MINI MILL 2004 - SINGLE PHASE HELP