Custom designed bracket- Edmonton

Thread: Custom designed bracket- Edmonton

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Custom designed bracket- Edmonton

I am still yet undecided how I want to go about making a custom component.

One option is to have it machined from Al preferably something very strong 7075 I'm thinking? Those with experience please chime in.

There are 2 components, one is the main body and the other is a ring that bolts to the main structure.

The dimensions are 100mm Wide x 190mm Tall x 240mm Long

Any rough idea as to finished cost?

I'm not sure how this works. What files are needed for a quote?

Looking for a single unit.

Please contact me if there is anything that's needed.

A360

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom designed bracket- Edmonton-mounting-bracket-motor-gear-box-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Custom designed bracket- Edmonton

7075 or 7050 would be a good choice for this application. Both are high strength alloys.

Just your solid model files would be enough for a quote, export as IGES or STEP, most solid modeling and many CAM programs will read those.

Just a couple of thoughts on the part design, you might want to add some fillets at the sharp corners where the surfaces meet, will help keep it from cracking in the corners. And also put realistic radii where the endmill will be profiling the outside, at least 6mm or so.

Not sure about the finished cost, but there is around US$300 just in material and a lot of machining and setup time. That's a lot of material to remove.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really appreciate the input. This is my first design with CAD, and I would not have known to add the things you mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    there is around US$300 just in material and a lot of machining and setup time. That's a lot of material to remove.
    Ya I can see that! I have a few ideas on how I could actually reduce material needed and I might go back to the drawing board. It would also simplify things too....

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work for your first CAD design. If you can make the 2 sides as separate pieces with spacers between it would reduce the cost dramatically. The current design looks like a 4 or 5 axis job, it might be possible to do it on a 3 axis, but I would have to think about that for a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello - Have you 3D printed this model yet? Cheap way to test your concept and look for simplification opportunities
    My machine is big enough to make it in one.

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Nice work for your first CAD design. If you can make the 2 sides as separate pieces with spacers between it would reduce the cost dramatically. The current design looks like a 4 or 5 axis job, it might be possible to do it on a 3 axis, but I would have to think about that for a bit.
    Any way to add rigidity to the structure if I make the 2 sides and spacers separately? My first thought is overbuilding and having the spacers large enough to each be held with 3 bolts per side. Any other tips like you had about adding fillets and such? (would fillets still apply?)
    thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Not knowing anything about the end use, it is not possible for me to offer anything except general advice on good engineering practices in machine component design.

As far as fillets, if you have two surfaces that meet roughly perpendicular then you should have the largest reasonable fillet possible to to spread the stress over a larger area. Of course if the two pieces are separate and bolted together then fillets would not be used. But if you are making a welded assembly, then you would specify a fillet dimension for the weld.

What you suggest with holding the spacers with 3 bolts, might be OK. You have to look at the direction and amount of force that will be applied to that component and the overall system. It looks like from your drawing that the two sides are through bolted to something else, so that might be enough right there. It really depends if this part is the main structural component in the system, or if there are other components that carry part of the load and can add stiffness. For instance, in some motorcycle frames, the motor cases are a structural part of the frame.

I hope this helps.