Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

I've had a really nice Vectrac CNC knee mill with a Fanuc 0M control for quite some time. Great machine, but the old control is kludgy and impossible to maintain. Time to upgrade it.

This will be my fifth machine refit to Camsoft controls. My goal is to make this one the best yet. The real strength of the Camsoft control is open sourcing of hardware and the ability to fully configure virtually an unlimited amount of I/O. (I have heard it said the biggest strength of Camsoft is everything is configurable. And the biggest weakness is everything is configurable) Camsoft is NOT a control that a person without a lot of machine control refit experience should attempt.

The plan will be to first get the machine running with a default control setup, then add a great many upgrades one at a time. The first and most important one will be a complete operator panel like seen on professional machines. This is the biggest difference between a hobby grade control and a pro control. Anther will be encoder feedback on the spindle to allow features like rigid tapping. A fourth axis will be added. This is a knee mill, a feature will be added to use the knee to do all the tool length offsets. This concept has already been accomplished on my Excello knee mill and really eliminates the big weakness of a knee mill - too small a Z travel. Got a few other things planned.

OK, here's before pics

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-vectrax-left-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-vectrax-right-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-vectrac-fanuc-0m-control-panel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

Subscribed!

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Day one was rip all the old control out. had it down to an empty cabinet with only sixteen bundles of connectors. See pic.

I then spent time figuring out what they all are. See the second pic for results.

I had marked five cable bunches with letter labels for function as I tore things down. THEN I lost the notes on these. so I got more wires to trace someday.

I did find all the limit and home switches, Learned something, Fanuc combines forward and reverse limits into one input. camsoft splits them out. Going to be a problem on the Z axis as On one wire pair was run up to the head. So, I got to pull a new wire pair here.. See pic of Z axis

Found the wires for the spindle - it has five wires plus ground. That's two more than need for a three phase motor. I will have to take the motor cover off to find what's going on here. Also got knee and coolant pump motor wires IDed.

I do have one question. there is a pair of wires that is the spindle brake. How do I determine what voltage is needed to energize this? something I should have checked before having the whole Fanuc control out of there.

Anyway, found everything needed to run the new control, the other things can be done later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-z-axis-limit-switches-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-wires-control-cabinet-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-wire-functions-lower-right-cabinet-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    Day one was rip all the old control out. had it down to an empty cabinet with only sixteen bundles of connectors. See pic.

I then spent time figuring out what they all are. See the second pic for results.

I had marked five cable bunches with letter labels for function as I tore things down. THEN I lost the notes on these. so I got more wires to trace someday.
    That sucks

I did find all the limit and home switches, Learned something, Fanuc combines forward and reverse limits into one input. camsoft splits them out. Going to be a problem on the Z axis as On one wire pair was run up to the head. So, I got to pull a new wire pair here.. See pic of Z axis
    Pull in a 6 or 8 conductor cable, never hurts to have a few extra conductors.

Found the wires for the spindle - it has five wires plus ground. That's two more than need for a three phase motor. I will have to take the motor cover off to find what's going on here. Also got knee and coolant pump motor wires IDed.
    If that is a Fanuc spindle motor, it probably has a thermal sensor so two small wires, normally blue I think. Also could be the fan power if equipped.

I do have one question. there is a pair of wires that is the spindle brake. How do I determine what voltage is needed to energize this? something I should have checked before having the whole Fanuc control out of there.
    You might need to pull the cover off to see if there is a data tag on it. Maybe the motor data tag would give you some hint also.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW, on rare occasion I am truly amazed. This is one of those times.

The Camsoft vendor contacted me by email late the same day I started this thread asking for details on what all is planned for this refit. I was happy to supply this, glad they were interested.

Today, I got an EXTREMELY COMPLETE outline of how to do the installation. It even included details of how to wire the I/O to work with a default (.cbk) file to run the machine. this was no small task for them. TOTALLY unexpected and much appreciated on my part.

I only bought this software back in 2002, guess its still warranty work

pic of all the files attached.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-information-packet-jpg  
    Last edited by Karl_T; 02-08-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, got to work on the power wiring. Installed a fuse bank, motor contactors, and three VFDs - spindle, power knee, and flood coolant.

I took the connector cover off the Spindle motor and do not know how it should be connected. Its is a two speed 220 volts motor with six wires. Here is the data from the name plate and wiring terminals

JIN SHIN Motor
    3phase induction

Type AEVF
    Poles 2/4
    5 HP
    3.7 KW
    Volts 220
    Hertz 60
    Amps 6/5.6
    RPM 3400
    RPM 1700
    Design CNS - C4088
    Bearings 6205 6206
    SN# 501306

6 terminals on motor and wire color

Z6-black X4-red Y5-white

??-brown V2-blue W? - orange

(note terminals VERY hard to read, some guessing here)

I would like to connect this motor at low speed to the VFD. How should it be done?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-power-wiring-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-3-vfds-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-spindle-motor-name-plate-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-spindle-motor-terminals-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't find a wiring diagram for that motor exactly, but some generic diagrams seem to indicate that using XYZ or UVW would be correct.

I would connect the VFD to U, V, W, cap off X,Y,Z. Set to 60 Hz and see if it runs at 3600 or 1800. If 3600, then connect to X, Y, Z

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

No pics today, forgot the camera

Got a lot of power wiring completed, traced out the rest of the I/O from the old control. wired up all the 110 and 220 devices to 24 V DC relays, put in several extra for future upgrades. Got the computer and opto 22 boards mounted in the door. Got a real challenge putting two pound of stuff in a one pound cabinet so I am using the door, both sides and the bottom of the cabinet. It does make the wiring harder and its a challenge to mount components so they don't hit the computer with the door closed.

Set up an E-stop circuit and powered the contactors. THEY BUZZ SO BAD! I can't work around that. I seem to remember reading about a simple mod to stop buzzing in 110 VAC contactor coils. Anybody point it out to me?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok here's pics of the current state of things.

2 steps forward 1 back. Thanks to Jim, I researched rebuilding contactors. Took them all out and went through every one. Then put them all back in. At the end of the day its in the same spot with one IMPORTANT difference. Can hardly tell if the contactors are energized. I am also now a contactor refurbish expert.

I did have time to check out the spindle. As Jim suspected, the first three wires run the motor slow - 4 pole. the second three run it fast - 2 pole. I will leave it on 4 pole for more low end torque. Can get the same max speed by just running the VFD at 120 Hz. In fact, experience has taught me 10% overspeed is not a problem so I'll set max Hz to 135. In operation there will be no need to ever adjust the variable speed belt. On rare occasion when doing something like drilling with large bits, the machine can be switched to back gear. With this concept S codes can be used to set spindle RPM

Also checked out the knee - The VFD runs it up/down just fine. Did not get to the coolant pump. First on the list tomorrow. In fact got to spend a bit of time running it. the sump has a nice layer of dirty oil. The wires for the Servos lay too near this to avoid dragging them through it during installation. I'm going to find a way to jury rig the belt skimmer from the CNC lathe to get all the oil out. After its cleaned as much as possible, put a whole jug dawn or similar in there with a bunch of water. FUN job. NOT

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-output-relays-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-cabinet-right-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-cabinet-left-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-door-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a lot of I/O looking good!

Good luck with that coolant sump, glad you're doing it and not me.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Got all the devices installed so far checked out and running. Not much to show, but a fair bit of labor. learned I still have the capacity for stupid mistakes. Could NOT get the optos to fire the coils - they would latch on after first energize. I looked for all sorts of complex problems. gave up and went to bed. In the morning I noticed I had installed AC optos and I now know they will not work with DC 24 volt. DOH!

Got computer software installed and running. used it to checkout the 12 outputs installed so far. See the pic. The control has a dignostic screen with all the I/O. I labeled each output. I had to fake in a mouse but when its hovered over an output the label pops up. Click on the out and it will energize or turn off - toggle. this screen is HUGE for maintenance and debug.

I build my own controls with a major emphasis on future easy maintenance. Wire # on all wires, each device labeled. Instead of keeping an electrical print, I find a spreadsheet of wires and function to be most helpful. See the pic. For each wire, the connection on each end is noted along with its function. I just write it down as it is installed. I just brought up the spread sheet from the excello install in 2004 and could see immediately how something was wired.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-opto-22-outputs-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-o-wiring-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-camsoft-o-screen-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a direct question to Jim Dawson. I'll put it here for future records.

I have little confidence that I'm wiring the SSR for amp enable correctly. So I quick dummied one connection up. See the pic.

Red wire ampenX pin 40 to +3A1 on Cydrom
    green ground to 4/A2 on Cydrom

green Pin1 DYN4 to +1/L1 on Cydrom
    white Pin15 DYN4 to 2/T1 on Cydrom

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-amo-enable-relay-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-ddm-servo-amp-gall-dawson-controls-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Karl,

Looks like you have the wiring on the ICM-1900 side correct. Confirm this by issuing a SHX command and see if the LED on the Crydom comes on. If the logic is inverted, then exchange the 7407 chip for a 7406 to invert the logic. Normally these chips are shipped with the the ICM-1900 so you should have some kicking around.

On the DYN4 side it's a little more complicated.

If you are using the internal 14V supply, you need to connect pin 4 to pin 17. Your connections to the Crydom are correct

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

WooHoo! Life in the new servos. Guess you cannot see motion but it is running in front of the computer in the pic.

Don't think I've mentioned DMM 1.8 KW servos and DYN4 amps were selected for all three axis. DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Quite a bit of wiring was done in the bottom of the cabinet for the Galil 1900 connect module to the DMM servos.

Next, I'll test if Galil commands can at least move the motors. After this works, the servos can be mounted permanently.

The amp enable circuit is not working - not sure of the problem. Looks like I can proceed anyway as the amps can be set to always be enabled. Will have to get back to this in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-servo-running-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-galil-dmm-servo-wiring-jpg  

Nice work, would be interested to see your Servo tuning settings when your done!
    Jeff

GOLDCNC5, BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachineautomation.com - ETL UL508A CSA CERTIFIED INDUSTRIAL CONTROL PANEL SHOP

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't kept up this thread. Sorry, life gets in the way sometimes.

I had an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL time getting the servos installed and running correctly. Would have given up on the whole project without the assisstance of Jim Dawson. I will bet he is tired of my constant requests.
    The issue was run aways. NOT good with big powerful servos. Had more than one problem so fixing one thing didn't help. I'd put it back then try the other, so that trial did not work either. Just for a quick summary:

All the DMM servos want to run what I call backward. When finished, every axis has either reversed encoder or reversed axis direction in the Galil software setup.

The used Galil ICM was defective on the axis I selected to try first. had to replace it. Shopping for parts on eBay does have its disadvantages.
    I installed an update to the Galil card and could not get it to respond after the update, so i went to a very old card. Never did get this one to run. luckily, another one came up on eBay. ( I sent the first card to Jim and he could find nothing wrong - then it worked for me when returned) The machine is still running with card number three.

There is a parameter titled max speed. I had set this to a low value for testing. The title of this is extremely poor, it is actually the center of the voltage dead band for servo drift. A value of 65 is for 0 volts.

Biggest issue was with my misunderstanding of how Galil enable/disable should work. I thought is was a 5 volt output. it is acutally an open collector. Wasted a huge amount of time here. I promise to never make this particular mistake again. For DMM servos, connect the sevo enable input though a 2K resistor to the Galil enable output if using external 24 volt to power the servo's enable input. Then remove the RP1 resistor pack on the ICM. this results in backward function. So exchange the 7406 IC for a 7407.

With all this finally resolved, the servos were tuned first under DMM. then again with Galil WSDK.
    All the limit switches and home swithes were connected and debugged. An input from the Estop was connected to the galil card. outputs to the spindle knee and coolant were connected and debugged.

Camsoft was kind enough to provide a basic .cbk for this machine. A couple days making minor program edits to this .cbk has the machine up and running WOOHOO!

The machine could certainly be run as is. A great many stop at this point and go to work. But that's not the final goal for this machine. When complete the control will be better than even the newest commercial controls. I can say that because it will work exactly as I want it to.

Screen shots of the DMM servo setups are attached, mostly as a personal backup.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-z-dmm-settings-final-2019-04-11-a   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-x-servo-dmm-settings-2019-04-10-a   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-x-servo-dmm-auto-tune-results-2019-a   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-y-axis-dmm-servo-settings-2019-04-a  

Last edited by Karl_T; 07-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Spent the last several days mounting an encoder to the spindle. had to get real clever here. Only got about 1/4" of the top of the hollow spindle exposed and it can't get in the way of the tool changer. The pics show the parts and the final completed project.

A spindle encoder really increases capability. It allows the spindle to be treated as a galil axis to control the spindle VFD. S codes for programming spindle speed are now a piece of cake. Rigid tapping can now be done. if a 4rth axis is added, it can be slaved to the spindle to hob gears. By comparing analog command voltage (Galil TT) to spindle speed, it is possible to determine where the adjustable speed pulleys are set.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-spindle-encoder-tool-changer-parts-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-spindle-encoder-pulley-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-spindle-encoder-complete-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I see I neglected to explain the concept here. The bushing at far right in the parts pic just slides inside the hollow spindle. I drilled tapped for two #6-32 screws on the end of the spindle. two of the four screws in the bushing fit here. The other two are tapped and function as jack screws for disassembly.

The red bottle in the pic is bearing retaining compound. the lower part of the bushing is coated with this and slid into the top of the spindle. two screws hold it in place. If it ever must be removed it will need to be heated to break the bond. I put a note to this effect on the tool changer. doubt I ever tear it down. The note is for some poor soul in the future.

The pulley in the pic fits on the top of this bushing. The two tapped holes also function to hold the pulley on. I did not use retaining compound here.

Downloads
    Uploads

current work has been the machine operator panel. IMHO, the biggest difference between a profession quality and a hobby quality refit is a great control panel. A lot of thought went into this one to make it exactly as I want. I like to be able to run the machine from the control panel but not have it look like a 747 cockpit airplane control. Some things are better done on the PC keyboard and function hot keys.

This one needs fifty conductors for all the I/O, see the pic of the inside got pretty crowded in there. I also placed it high and ahead of the spindle to keep flying swarf away. It lined up so that I needed to extend the backgear lever. this made it easy to add an input for backgear with a limit switch, see pic.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-back-gear-input-switch-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-control-panel-inside-jpg   Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-control-panel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work, I like the panel.
    Funny you mention tool length and the knee Z in your opening post.
    Just today I was working on adding a knee encoder to my Acer knee mill with 2 axis Anilam.
    The Quill has an encoder that reads out on the Z as a DRO, but I want to couple that with the knee so I can adjust for the length difference of the tools.
    It’s currently not working exactly like I hoped , I need to make a call to the vendor next week.

I’m definitely following along!
    Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast