Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

" I'll go with that automation Direct offer, mentioned above"

I would go with the Heavy duty version of the Koyo.
    A few more $$'s but probably worth it for that application.
    Al..

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, got the spindle all up and running with S codes to command speed. I ended installing a new encoder from Automation direct. Had a bit of trouble with the test spindle routine but got it going with Camsoft support.

Yesterday did the bloody awful job I've been putting off, final cleanup of the coolant sump. Some real nasty sh*t has been growing in there for years. turned out to be easy once set up. I cleaned out my wet dry shop vac and set it up to suck water. Set up the hot pressure washer. Alternated between washing and vacuuming till it was clean. Did **** off SWMBO as my clothes looked like I had been swimming in a coolant sump. I looked about the same.

Today, got the home routine debugged and soft limits set up. Just a tiny bit of work left for tool change logic.

Did a trial of Estop when running G0. Machine losses position. Not a huge deal as this should only happen in a true emergency and the machine can be re homed. Also if axis are moved by hand under estop, machine does not see the move. I wonder if a re-wire as per the red lines to by pass E-stop would cause problems? I've left encoders powered under Estop on my other installs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

CHIPS!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft-chips-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    O

Did a trial of Estop when running G0. Machine losses position. Not a huge deal as this should only happen in a true emergency and the machine can be re homed. Also if axis are moved by hand under estop, machine does not see the move. I wonder if a re-wire as per the red lines to by pass E-stop would cause problems? I've left encoders powered under Estop on my other installs.
    I have always left control inputs and encoders powered at E-stop, fortunately control such as Galil feature this, where the PID is back to the controller and non-intelligent drives can be used..
    'Intelligent' drives are probably going to lose this feature when powered off.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim has been invaluable with setup on the DMM servo system. lately, he exchanged several emails with the vendor on my behalf, then spent a day testing DMM settings and tuning a servo. His letter, below, is super informative for anyone considering this product on a +/- 10 volt analog control.

OK, I completed my testing.

The goal is two fold, 1) Maximize performance and 2) determine what effect the various DMM parameters have on performance.

Conditions:

DYN4

1.8KW

240V 3Ph input

Torque Mode

Analog Input

Galil DMC-1846 controller

Only tested the ‘’D’’ axis, Live Tooling. This axis can run free without limitation.

Reasonably low mass system.

I tried making minor adjustments to the drive parameters to gauge the effect on performance with out changing my Galil parameters, and noted no changes. So being of the school of; If a small change does nothing then make a big change and see what happens.

Starting Parameters:

DMM Parameters

Main Gain 127

Speed Gain 127

Integration Gain 1

Torque Filter 127

Max Speed 65

Max Acceleration 127

On Position Range 127

GEAR_NUM 4096

LINE_NUM 2000

Driver Status Servo OnPos

Driver ID 0

Then played around with the Galil parameters while watching the following error and stopped position error. I ran these tests in incremental mode using the IP (increment position) command turning the motor about 20 revolutions per increment.

Galil Parameters

SPD=30000

KPD=20

KID=0.0000

KDD=60

ACD=199680

DCD=199680

Using the above settings, the following error was in the range of ~100 pulses, and the stopped position error was ~40

So I adjusted the Galil parameters until the system was stable and very stiff, making changes as I was incrementing the axis.

These are the parameters I ended with. Ignore the speed since it is of course variable, but needed to make sure that the performance was stable at higher speeds.

Ending parameters:

SPD=120000

KPD=120

KID=0.0049

KDD=160

ACD=499712

DCD=499712

Using the above settings, the following error was in the range of -20 pulses, just about perfect, and the stopped position error was +/- 1, 0 is perfect.

Once I was happy with the system performance, I started testing each DMM parameter one at a time, since I started at 127 on all but the Integration Gain (1), I set each of the other parameters to 1, one at a time, and checked the result.

The final test DMM settings were:

Main Gain 1

Speed Gain 1

Integration Gain 1

Torque Filter Constant 1

Max Speed 1

Max Acceleration 1

On Position Range 1

GEAR_NUM 16384

LINE_NUM 2000

Driver Status Servo OnPos

Driver ID 0

There was no difference in the performance with changes to any setting, including Gear Number. I tried setting the Gear Number at 500 and at 16384, no difference noted.

So now we know how to make this system run with a Galil controller in Torque Mode, and how the DMM drive reacts to different settings. The bottom line seems to be that putting the DYN4 into Analog Torque mode makes it a simple transconductance amplifier, in other words, turns it into a complete zombie with no control at all. All of the control is done in the Galil.

Note: The Galil settings above are specific to the dynamics of my Live Tooling drive, and will be different for other controllers and systems. The PID parameters would be way high for older generation (Optima) Galil controllers.

Jim Dawson
    James Dawson Controls LLC

Last edited by Karl_T; 10-12-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

FINAL REPORT ON DMM SERVOS

First there is a lot more detail on issues with these servos on this web site's thread
    https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...camsoft.76582/

Here's the key points for anyone connecting these servos to a galil or other +/- 10 analog control.

1. Enable signal must be connected to avoid run aways with motor off. This is an open collector. I supplied +24 volt to the servo amp, then a 2k resistor to the galil enable. Must remove RP1 resistor pack.
    2. most DMM parameters do nothing in +/-10 volt analog position mode. max speed and OnPosRange actually determine servo dead band width and offset. get their data sheet on this.
    3. If using camsoft and the DMM encoders, set line number to 500 to get acceptable acceleration and deceleration.
    4. automatic servo tuning does NOT work well at all with DMM servos. manual tuning will yield huge PID numbers not normally seen with other products.

Once properly set up, these will be GREAT servos. they sell at a very attractive price if you need larger KW sizes.

Karl

Last edited by Karl_T; 10-16-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123