Problem camsoft cnc pro responds slowly

Thread: camsoft cnc pro responds slowly

Downloads
    Uploads

Question camsoft cnc pro responds slowly

I installed the latest update to cnc professional level 5, version 17.4, and now when I use the pendant to jog, or change axis, when I press a button, it takes 15 seconds before the machine responds. Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to have real trouble with jog response, but never this bad.

I found a clean install with minimal other software to really help. In my case, I go with XP service pack 1,NO INTERNET CONNECT, and strip down all the other processes I could. In my case, I also needed the Galil software to work. Getting both softwares to run on the same box can be a stone b&%ch, there's several old threads on this subject. I also installed an old copy of adobe reader, and Excel. With this setup, the machine boots in 15 seconds, shuts down in 5. many years ago, I cloned this hard drive several times and have never looked back.

More of an advanced topic here. I still had a 1 second delay to jog on one machine, half a second on another, and worked great on a third. Almost identical hardware and software. the main difference was a larger inputio file on the slow machine. Anyway, I wanted immediate jog response so I went to low level galil commands. there's an old thread on this forum that shares the code on this jog method.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

It always took 1/2 to 1 second for the computer to respond, but 15 seconds is a long time. It was much better with the old version 17.2. Camsoft is going to send me the latest version, to see if it speeds things up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: camsoft cnc pro responds slowly

We have the same issue only its is getting worse. I will try to clean install but am having my doubts. Our support ended and never really got that good of support in the first place. Always had speed issues and tool offset and comp issues. Never could get the comp working and the tool offset was random.

Downloads
    Uploads

You got support? every time I ask a question, it takes 1 or 2 days for an answer. Most of the time the answer is to send them a check, and they will fix it. I have been working with them for 5 or 6 years, and now they tell me if we don't pay 7 or 8 hundred dollars within 30 days for tech support, it will go up another $800.00. Camsoft is just a money pit. I am currently looking for another retrofit outfit.

Downloads
    Uploads

In your case the cost varied because there was a quote sent in February for application assistance to customize your system further for better performance. We realize this is something we would normally suggest you go back to your original dealer for or whomever set up the logic. Our quote to you in February was trying to be accommodating , because we really do see a need for cleaning up and re-writing a portion the code for better efficiency. These notes go back a few years so we wanted to be gracious to help you now. You don't have to pay this, it is only a recommendation and optional. As far as paying $800 this doesn't apply to you, unless in the future you chose to decline updates. In your case, as it is for all of our customers using a current version the technical support is always free. It is prompt, professional and the best in the CNC industry. We noticed your comment about 1-2 days meant to be hurtful and mis-lead. You know this isn't the way we handle support. There are a group of engineers here and while management might order all of us to be polite and considerate , comments like these are remembered by some.

Your company is covered under maintenance into the middle of next year. Thank you for your recent payment.

The cost for the updates are low, when you consider that the software updates are free and so is live technical support free. These support / maintenance quotes are optional. We send them out after a year or more period of time only to make the offer so a company can keep up with the latest CNC features, Windows and CNC hardware drivers which change frequently. Technical support is always free with the software updates. They go hand and hand.

Our Graphical Operator Interface is only offered in an annual single fee of $49 a year, because $4 a month is not a convenient billing cycle, CNC Lite is only $16 a month, our best version, perhaps the most powerfully and fastest CNC Controller on the market is only $41 a month. Updates to new versions and technical support is always free to new customers.

This includes free software updates to new versions and free technical support which is very much a bargain.

Any other quotes we sent out will vary in degree, based on the age of the software and version to replace. Also application assistance "labor" for special request and hardware is always billable.

It would be better to work together. You certainly have some things we can help you with.

We are willing to forget what was said.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I responded earlier japco43 to support your statements. And I see it did not get posted. May be that Camsoft complained. The support we got was marginal and we were told the same about paying hundreds of dollars to get our support reinstated and it was out less than one year. The response from all inputs are slow. This does not function even close in real time like any cnc should. Good luck with working things out. Our next retro will not be Camsoft. And we have two more here we are going to do now. Let me know which direction you go.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess its just the nature of things for those having trouble to blame somebody else. This vendor supplies a top notch machine control product. Its open source for hardware and incredibly configurable. The prime responsibility for making a machine run goes to the installer. A quality install is not a trivial task.

I've installed all sorts of machine controls for over thirty years now. Everything from mechanical relay and hardwire logic, to PLCs, industrial robots, integrated manufacturing plant control systems - you name it. I've found the tech support at Camsoft second to none.

Now Camsoft won't work for free. I don't blame them, I can't afford to work for free either.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am glad you have had a positive experience with Camsoft I have not. I also have been installing and building industrial automated equipment for 30+ years and have had very few vendors that I did not get good support from. I can document what I say and I will stand behind what I say. I will not disagree with the flexibility of the system but the speed is problematic. It was something I had inquired about multiple times and never received any answer that was workable. Right up until I gave up asking for assistance.

And again I have no answers for my question.

Last edited by Mark Pelnar; 05-16-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To Mark and japco43

There are a lot of people that can make a CNC do some fancy stuff, that do not have even a remote idea what happens behind the curtain. The last line in the Cam Soft post said." you certainly have some things we can help you with." You could have a goofy mistake in a macro file. A, G code file may not be written correctly. You could have accel/decell parameters out of whack. There might be a wait command buried somewhere. Any number of things, and unless you speak CAM SOFT better than you speak English, it might appear normal to you. Starting with a generic CBK file my oxy fuel gantry had pauses in it also. It took several calls to CAM SOFT to get the bugs worked out but now the girl can wag her tail. You have to realize that you are dealing with a SOFTWARE company, not a hard iron company, and they do software very well. beyond the breakout box every machine is different, and is up to you. If I were retrofitting or new machine build, I would not look any further than CAMSOFT, Up to 8 axis, there is not a machine in existence that they can not control, and 400 plus I/O is more than any normal machine would use. When you realize how much Cam Soft pro is capable of, using it on a 3 axis machine is like shooting a mouse with an army tank.

As for another retro fit supplier, you can get the ultimate education by calling FANUC USA in Chicago. They are very responsive to selling you exactly what you want to buy. They have 100 plus engineers that can design a ladder program for the controller on your machine! You can purchase as many options in the software as you think you might want, or afford. FANUC's claim to fame is "YOU GET IT ALL!!!" that means FANUC motors, servo drives, custom cables, encoder and power, The FANUC HMI with the huge 9" screen, their arrangement of buttons, and lights, and what ever I/O you might require. After your retro fit is up and running, and you decide, dang I wish it would do this or that, they will gladly sell you other upgrades and options to their software, and rewrite your ladder program. The list of whistles and bells is as long as your money will allow. I have a 2012 Hwacheon hitech 300 slant bed lathe with the FANUC 0i TD control. because back in the day RS 232 was the way to load programs, Hwacheon did not add the USB port option, even though it is on the control. After checking with Fanuc about turning on the USB option, I settled for a $70.00 RS 232 cable at 1/100 of the cost of the upgrade option.

I sincerely wish you a lot of patience and luck in finding a better retro fit system than CAMSOFT
    and please share your results with us.
    Thank You
    Farmers Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers Machine View Post
    To Mark and japco43

There are a lot of people that can make a CNC do some fancy stuff, that do not have even a remote idea what happens behind the curtain. The last line in the Cam Soft post said." you certainly have some things we can help you with." You could have a goofy mistake in a macro file. A, G code file may not be written correctly. You could have accel/decell parameters out of whack. There might be a wait command buried somewhere. Any number of things, and unless you speak CAM SOFT better than you speak English, it might appear normal to you. Starting with a generic CBK file my oxy fuel gantry had pauses in it also. It took several calls to CAM SOFT to get the bugs worked out but now the girl can wag her tail. You have to realize that you are dealing with a SOFTWARE company, not a hard iron company, and they do software very well. beyond the breakout box every machine is different, and is up to you. If I were retrofitting or new machine build, I would not look any further than CAMSOFT, Up to 8 axis, there is not a machine in existence that they can not control, and 400 plus I/O is more than any normal machine would use. When you realize how much Cam Soft pro is capable of, using it on a 3 axis machine is like shooting a mouse with an army tank.

As for another retro fit supplier, you can get the ultimate education by calling FANUC USA in Chicago. They are very responsive to selling you exactly what you want to buy. They have 100 plus engineers that can design a ladder program for the controller on your machine! You can purchase as many options in the software as you think you might want, or afford. FANUC's claim to fame is "YOU GET IT ALL!!!" that means FANUC motors, servo drives, custom cables, encoder and power, The FANUC HMI with the huge 9" screen, their arrangement of buttons, and lights, and what ever I/O you might require. After your retro fit is up and running, and you decide, dang I wish it would do this or that, they will gladly sell you other upgrades and options to their software, and rewrite your ladder program. The list of whistles and bells is as long as your money will allow. I have a 2012 Hwacheon hitech 300 slant bed lathe with the FANUC 0i TD control. because back in the day RS 232 was the way to load programs, Hwacheon did not add the USB port option, even though it is on the control. After checking with Fanuc about turning on the USB option, I settled for a $70.00 RS 232 cable at 1/100 of the cost of the upgrade option.

I sincerely wish you a lot of patience and luck in finding a better retro fit system than CAMSOFT
    and please share your results with us.
    Thank You
    Farmers Machine
    I recently had the camsoft control replaced with Centroid, and now the cnc router works perfectly. There was no issue with the motors or encoders. they currently hold perfect repeat ability. The problem, was with either the galil motion card, or the camsoft, control. I wish I would have done this 5 years ago. The router is currently in production, and working well.

Last edited by japco43; 04-05-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: to add more info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What was your true actual cost for the centroid control set up for you router, and its installation and hook up to your existing servo drives and motors?

Downloads
    Uploads

After years of trouble trying to get.our router working with camsoft we bit the bullet, and retrofit the unit with centroid. All the troubles, that we had with camsoft, turned out to be ****ty installation, by their local people. Now the router holds exactly to the dimensions, that are programmed, into it. If I have a question, I get answers via email, or phone, the same day, not 2 or 3 days later. My initial problem, was, we do production runs on this router, and sometimes, maybe 5000 parts or so. Every cycle the Y axis moved over .001" or 002". they kept saying we had mechanical issues. The encoders are cemented unto the back of the servos. There is no slop in this machine. Now it runs great. At least that is something.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe the Actual cost of the retrofit, was about $10,000.00.