4 Axis Wire EDM Application

Thread: 4 Axis Wire EDM Application

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4 Axis Wire EDM Application

Has anyone out there converted a 4 axis Wire EDM?

My MItsubishi Wire EDM suffered a lightning strike a few weeks ago that took out several controller boards. The estimate from Mits to fix these 4 boards was over $8K. The cpu is a 8086, so it is 8 bit technology from the early 80's.

I am currently in the process of finding all of the interface points for the various controls (fluid, wire, machining, spark gap voltage, and the epack parameters) for a Camsoft conversion. I think I have a pretty good handle on what must be done, but I am not sure about controlling the UV axis yet.

For those of you unfamiliar with a wire machine, the lower wire guide is considered the xy axis and the upper head is considered the uv axis. For a given xy command, the two heads move together. To accomplish a taper cut, separate uv commands are given. Thus the uv is always relative to the xy. It is further complicated by the fact the uv moves are given at the z level of the top surface of the part, and the wire guide is actually about .25" above the part (the upper and lower wire guides are the pivot points of the wire). Thus the machine reads a uv move actually changes both the xy and the uv to pivot point z locations.

Also, the most common machining mode is automatically varying the feedrate to keep a constant spark gap voltage. I assume I would read the gap voltage with an analog input and put an equation that varies FEED in a timer.fil.

I think I can work my way through the math of these two problems, but I was just curious - has anyone else done this successfully?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Squarewave,

I may be able to help you . I have done some mills and lathe retrofits and want to become a CamSoft retrofitter. I admit I have never done a 4 axis EDM, but I have researched the EDM features you need in the CamSoft manual and CD. I found a EDM interface with logic for Spark gap control reading real-time analog voltage. Plus I found logic for the other items on the CD like fluid on/off, automatic wire feeding, wire cutting, spark gap voltage and epack or power control parameters are there too.

It's real easy to configure the operator interface to 4 axis U,V and set up the motor specs. They can do 8 axes of coordinated motion with all types of motor types and feedback devices.

What you need is almost all there. I could help you and I don't charge much. Are you near Chicago? Do you have CNC Professional or the Lite version?

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also looking into retrofitting a mits. The one we have is a DWC-80 from 1979. I've started trying to reverse engineer the power unit to figure out what the control does while it is in operation. The problem I have is a servo alarm, but I suspect it is actually one of the main boards. I am not registered with Mits so they want 2-3K just to register before they will help. Then I may be in the same boat your in as old as this machine is. What is the price range for a CamSoft retrofit?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cholder View Post
    I'm also looking into retrofitting a mits. ...
    What is the price range for a CamSoft retrofit?
    I'm planning on refitting a Charmilles Andrew to Camsoft this winter. This is my fourth Camsoft machine refit. I can see a wire EDM will present some program challenges. No way should a <Camsoft> beginner take this on. If you are a DIYer, do a knee mill or small lathe first.

There's no need to guess on price. Ask Camsoft for an estimate and reccommend somebody to do the work.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

cholder,

We have done Sodick, Japax, Agie and Mitsubishi 2-5 axis wire EDM's and can copy these files for you. We have a wide range of offerings to determine price. We can send you a list of questions that ask your feature and equipment preferences.

Write a request to sales@cnccontrols.com

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    951-674-8100
    support@camsoftcorp.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)