Backlash Increasing Question for Camsoft

Thread: Backlash Increasing Question for Camsoft

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Backlash Increasing Question for Camsoft

Hi,

Someone is having me run their code on a mill. They developed this code based on their machine which didn't have the backlash compensated.

QUESTION In Camsoft can I use a negative backlash compensation number (the number of encoder pulses) to increase my apparent backlash to make my machine as inaccurate as theirs so I can run their code and their parts and make them happy ?? I know this seems ridiculous...more backlash to bandaid the situation but... the customer is always right don'tcha know.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Downloads
    Uploads

?!? Most original query I've seen

I've cheeted part size from existing gcode by using G41 or G42 and putting in a slightly different tool size. Could get tricky if the code wasn't wrtten for this as you need lead in moves to turn cutter comp. on

To answer your query, it looks like a negative value is allowed per the manual on BACKLASH. You'd have to see what it does on a small simple part. I set up backlash on my system by machining all four faces on a small block and adjusting till the block was perfect size - this went quick by using the command window to change values. try the same thing with negative values and see what happens.

Karl

BACKLASH
    This command allows the user to change the backlash parameters that were defined in CNCSETUP. The first parameter is either ON, OFF or MOTOR. You can enable or disable backlash comp with the ON or OFF parameter. Use the MOTOR parameter to tell the system that the backlash is ON but the encoder is mounted on the back of the motor. Therefore, in MOTOR mode, the backlash is not seen by the encoders because the reported feedback position is the motor location not the actual location with error. In MOTOR mode the amount of backlash is automatically subtracted from the position display readouts. Never use BACKLASH while the motors are in motion or enter a BACKLASH amount greater than the Tolerance of the system. The remaining parameters are the axes numbers 1 through 8. Each axis has its own backlash value. Backlash values are entered in counts not inches or mm. Enter 0 to cease backlash compensation on a specific axis or skip with a semicolon to leave unchanged. Enter a positive value if the current axis position, as determined by the last move, has already removed the backlash in a positive direction and enter a negative value for backlash in the negative direction. The example below enables backlash compensation in the amount of 20 counts for the first 3 axes, leaves the 4th and 5th axes unchanged and sets the 6th, 7th and 8th axes to zero comp.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks Karl

I have the Plus version of Camsoft. In the SETUP I can enable Backlash by specifying 1 or -1 as determined by where my encoders are. I can then put the number of encoder pulses for each axis below.

Is this what you speak of? I think you have the full version of Camsoft.

Thanks,
    Nelson

i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll have to defer to the experts at camsoft. Looks like another case where the pro version has more capability.

I think the cutter comp route is prbably your best bet to run the part without an entire new program.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

nelZ,

While you may use negative BACKLASH values for any of the axis in the Professional or Plus versions, it will not fake the system into thinking you have this amount of back lash. This will not do what you think. This does not create error but compensates for actual-real error. If you enter a positive or negative value and you really do not have this error the machine may report excessive position error and stop motion.

You'll have to allow your machine to run these parts accurately and let them what you've done.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)