Need Help! Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge

Thread: Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge

Hi,

I have the attached solidworks model in which I'm wanting to mill out a pocket with a chamfered edge and radius's.

The angle of the chamfer and radius is important.

What would be the best way to do this? 2D or 3D milling? If so, how would I go about setting up the cutting options. Also, would a bull nose end mill be the correct way to a get a smooth chamfer and radius? Can cambam support these end mills?

Many thanks,
    Jim

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge-untitled-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge

I've attached a cb file that shows one way to make the item in CamBam, it was created using CamBam v1.0
    It uses a variety of machining operations, spiral drill, 3D waterline, pocket, profile, all chosen to speed up the job.
    For example there is no need to mill out the centre flat section using a 3D opration when a 2D pocket will do.

CamBam can use a bull nose but for 3D operations a ball nose is recommended.

Some of the parameters will need to be changed to suit your machine, material & tooling and you may want to reduce depth of cut, stepover, or the finishing tool diamter if the finish is not smooth enough

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge-cb2-jpg   Pocket with Chamfer & Radius Edge-cb1-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim,

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you ask this question on the proper CamBam forum ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Antlers,

Sorry on the delayed reply. I've been working out on site for a few days.

Thanks for your cambam file, much appreciated! I've milled out the pocket after adjusting a few parameters. I had to change the tool diameter to 10mm bull nose for the first 3D machining operation as I don't have anything smaller. But in doing this the target depth isn't achieved for some reason. Its cut down to about 4-5mm depth instead of going down to the specified 7mm. Is there a perimeter I need to adjust to allow machining of the full target depth using a 10mm bit?

Ps. Used this forum as I couldn't access the official CamBam site for some reason. Seems to be back up now.

Thanks,
    Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know why it is not reaching the specified depth

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I know now.

You have to change the "Boundary Margin" parameter, it is related to the tool diameter. Start with a number equal to tool radius then make it bigger if that is not enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Antlers,

Haha, good timing! I've just started a thread on the cambam forums with all the info and pics.

https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=8649.0

I thought it may be something to do with boundary lines. I have no idea how to change it though.

Just so you know I appreciate your time and effort on this, many thanks.

Jim