This may be simple, but new to me

Thread: This may be simple, but new to me

Downloads
    Uploads

Default This may be simple, but new to me

Hello, all! I've done Okay while machining my parts, but there's a feature of CamBam I'd like to make use of. First, most everything I do in CamBam is with aluminum. Normally, when I machine holes or slots, the tool makes one circuit, stops, then the tool drops in Z in the increments I've set, then another circuit. What I'd like to be able to do is have the tool move continuously, "ramping" down to depth. Basically, I use the "Pocket" feature for doing my holes and slots.

I believe to do what I want is use the "Lead In" feature, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to "Tangent Radius", Spiral Angle", etc, even though I've read the CamBam Help with the program. I use a 1/4" single flute cutter, and the material is 1/8" up to 1/4" thick 6061 or 6063 aluminum.

I've attached a machine photo, a part photo and the CB file for one of my parts. This part takes almost 15 minutes to complete, and I'd like to shorten that considerably. I have a home-made CNC somewhat purchased in a kit, which uses a router, and I'm running about 12,000 RPM. I believe I was somewhat misled as to the machines capabilities... the machine is not as "stiff" as it should be.

Any other info I can provide, let me know. In advance, thanks for your time. John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This may be simple, but new to me-img_3857-jpg   This may be simple, but new to me-machine-profile-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: This may be simple, but new to me

Spiral leadin is what you want to use. That will cause the tool to ramp in. I use 0.5 to 10° spiral angle depending on the work. Press the ALT key and you can rotate the part around on the screen to look at the tool path in 3D. If the leadin angle is not what you want, change it, and generate toolpaths again.

Tangent leadin/out will move the tool into/out of the work on an arc. Useful for minimizing tool marks on the finish cut and plunging in air where you can use it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: This may be simple, but new to me

All you need to do is go to the MOP properties and change the "Lead-in move type" to "Spiral". If you leave the "Spiral angle" at 0, CamBam will calculate it for you based on the depth increment.

Keep in mind that using lead-ins will NOT help you cut parts faster. If your machine is only rigid enough to cut 0.01" deep, you cannot magically make it cut 0.05" deep by using a spiral trajectory.