Bridgeport BOSS 3 Retrofit

Thread: Bridgeport BOSS 3 Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport BOSS 3 Retrofit

Hello, Just signed up.

I am converting a Bridgeport Boss 3 (?) CNC machine to modern control software and motors. I bought this machine with most of the control system missing from a dude nearby last weekend. I have been browsing Stepper and Servo options for this machine and I need some advice and info.

1) What kind of rapids are considered reasonable for a machine such as this one (1:1 pulley ratio, dovetail ways etc)

2) Has anyone here done a similar conversion with large NEMA 42 steppers? If so what kind of rapids can you achieve? (I am currently considering 750 watt servos, closed loop NEMA 42's (2830 oz/in), and open loop NEMA 42 (also 2830 oz/in)

3) If not mentioned in my current considerations, what kind of motors (stepper or servo) would be a good replacement for the beehive 800oz stock motors?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport BOSS 3 Retrofit

The 750W servos would be my first choice. More than enough power for that machine, and an order of magnitude above a stepper motor performance wise. Servo motors have a nearly flat torque curve through their entire operating range. NEMA 42 steppers are about useless, the torque drops off so fast with increasing RPM that a good NEMA 34 stepper motor will outperform them overall.

As far as rapids, 200 IPM is way more than enough for that machine, I run my BP clone at not more than 100 IPM rapids, but it will rapid at 300+ IPM.

For servos, I have used and recommend:

Delta https://www.automationdirect.com/selectors/sureservo2

LS Electric https://www.automationdirect.com/selectors/ls-servo

DMM https://store.dmm-tech.com/

I have Delta and DMM servos on my lathe and I just installed two 750W LS servos on another project. Documentation is important as is the setup software and factory support. All of these get an ''A'' in all categories.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 03-08-2022 at 11:24 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport BOSS 3 Retrofit

Hi, Have you started your conversion? I'm a retiredd EE and willing to answer any questions.