New Quill Drive Design - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Quill Drive Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Any one have any other designs ?
    I have JohnFord mill ... i need to do this on ..

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a nice design. Are you selling the parts yet? Would you share/sell the design for personal use?

Thanks

Kevin

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone who's interested, I've just posted the "plans" for this quill drive here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...ive_plans.html

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you quick disconnect the z and use it as a manual machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Quill Drive Design

I realize it's been some time since this thread has been visited. Your design approach is very clean and simple compared to others I have looked at. I'm assuming that when you fabricated and installed the main mounting plate for your quill drive, this extra spacing had no affect on the back gear mechanism? It's been a couple of years since I had one of these heads apart. I believe that the coupling spacing for shifting the back gear is all contained in that upper housing and moving that whole assembly up a half inch or so has no affect on it. I'm also assuming you had to install longer studs to make up for the thickness of that plate. I have a WEBB CHAMP 4VK mill with box ways but has the smaller Series 1 J2 style variable speed head on it. Looking at at the exploded parts diagrams for this head, I believe this to be the case also. From your CAD drawings I figured that your using a 2.333... to 1 ratio between the servo and the screw. It appears from your pics that your using a 5mm pitch tooth belt and pulleys, is this correct? Also what diameter screw did you end up using and from what I see in your drawings and pics, you must have machined the ends of your screw yourself.

Many thanks for the excellent ideas.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234