Where do I fill spindle oil on BP series 1 CNC?

Thread: Where do I fill spindle oil on BP series 1 CNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where do I fill spindle oil on BP series 1 CNC?

I have no manual for this mill and it seems like the spindle oil is dripping out near the spindle nose. There is no logical fill point or sight glass to check the oil level, but I am sure I am running low as it is unusually hot when changing tools! I removed the black plastic plate to fix the z limit switch and oil poured out. As I can't really fill up from where the black plate is I am a bit clueless...

I have tried to search for a manual as I am sure there must be an easy way to do this.

I am not sure what "Boss" this is, but the head and ram are rigid. Not the tilting type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andy:

Is this a Bridgeport Explorer I CNC?

Regards,

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by minton View Post
    Andy:

Is this a Bridgeport Explorer I CNC?

Regards,

Bob
    Hi Bob,

thanks for replying! I really dont know more than what is written on the side, "Series 1 CNC". Please have a look at the attached picture.

Cheers,

Andy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do I fill spindle oil on BP series 1 CNC?-bps1cnc-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andy:

I can't tell from the picture, however, the head looks similar to mine. I will look in my manual for the oil fill location on the spindle. What type of a control does it have? If you would send me your phone number I will give you a call.

Regards,

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello don't get to worried the oil is fed from the oil tank on the left hand side of the machine, it is automatically pumped when the spindle runs there is a geared motor that has a cam pumping oil into the slideways and drips onto the top of the Z axis ballscrew, which in turn then runs down the outside of the quill that is why when you took the cover off to check the limit switches oil ran out, this is normal, and if it runs low it stops the machine from running in automatic mode this is controlled by a float switch in the tank. And the Spindle bearings are sealed for life with grease. For a manual if you look on the web for Premier Machine Tools in Blidworth Nottinghamshire in the UK they sell a lot of machine manual copies at a very reasonable price average is £9.50 GB pounds. Hope this helps Cheers Colin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by minton View Post
    Andy:

I can't tell from the picture, however, the head looks similar to mine. I will look in my manual for the oil fill location on the spindle. What type of a control does it have? If you would send me your phone number I will give you a call.

Regards,

Bob
    Bob, I am in Thailand, so save your phone money, but thanks!
    It is retrofitted with a Centroid control and a Bijour lube pump, but I thought that was only for the way lube.

Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by colin1544 View Post
    Hello don't get to worried the oil is fed from the oil tank on the left hand side of the machine, it is automatically pumped when the spindle runs there is a geared motor that has a cam pumping oil into the slideways and drips onto the top of the Z axis ballscrew, which in turn then runs down the outside of the quill that is why when you took the cover off to check the limit switches oil ran out, this is normal, and if it runs low it stops the machine from running in automatic mode this is controlled by a float switch in the tank. And the Spindle bearings are sealed for life with grease. For a manual if you look on the web for Premier Machine Tools in Blidworth Nottinghamshire in the UK they sell a lot of machine manual copies at a very reasonable price average is £9.50 GB pounds. Hope this helps Cheers Colin
    Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info! As it is a retrofitted mill I am not sure it lubes the same way as the original. There is a Bijour lube tank on the left side, but I think it only lubes the ways. Not sure though...
    I assumed the spindle oil was an oil bath that needed topping up once n a while. I think the leak comes from a bad gasket under the ring that surrounds the Kwik Switch 200 nose.

I will check Premier MT for a manual. It sounds like the bearings might need to changed as well. Any other RPM than 3000 sounds a bit harsh. I guess it has been used only at 3000 rpm for years.

Cheers,

Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport series 1 oil problem

Hello again Andy, Snap my CNC machine was a Boss 5 version which I have upgrade with an Ajax system which is the DIY version of Centroid controls. But more than likely yours like mine has still got the varispeed head on it, I have modified mine slightly by fixing the varispeed pulleys with spacers and I have installed a VDF control and the plugin unit into the CNC control that allows me to program the spindle speed and also alter it on the fly. My next option is to change the varispeed pulley system altogether and make some Polyvee pulleys and use that to drive the spindle which should make it alot quiteter and smoother running, as the problem with the varispeed is if the belt and pulley bores wear it creates a right racket. Lastly the oil pump was still controlled by the CNC control, and again it is unlikely that the spindle bearings have been changed requiring constant oil lubrication. Hope this helps Cheers Colin

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi andy.f

The spindle the bearings are grease packed the oil comes from the auto oiler to lube the ballscrew & the outside of the quill there is a tube that feeds up to the ballscrew & the oil just runs were it wants to go I run mine at 6,000rpm
    but it has a polyvee belt set up check my photo gallery

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all replies guys!

This forum is really great!
    I have been running the mill 10 hrs per day more or less non stop since my first post, so I am sure you are right about the grease packed bearings. I found that we had a halogen work light positioned a few inches from the spindle nose and after switching it off the spindle returned to normal temperature!

Running at higher rpms sounds interesting. We dont have the rpm rigged to the control and as the spindle sounds a bit noisy at other rpms than 3 K, we mostly run at that speed and adjust the feed instead. Not really great, but it does the job. Would love to change the bearings, but the spindle is a Universal Kwik Switch 200 so I dont know what sizes they are. Will try Universal (if they are still around).

Andy

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi andy.f

The universul kwik switch-200 has nothing to do with what bearings you have in the spindle there are many bearing supplyers that you can get them from they come in a set of 2 that are ground for the right preload use ABEC7/P4 grade Angular Contact Bearings Bridgeport matched there bearing to the spindle dia I have for over the 30 that I have rebuilt the only thing I have had to change is the spindle dia were the bearings fit they have been to tight so reground that dia to fit the new bearings sometimes it is only .001 to big for the new bearings so not to much to polish off the spindle the bearings need to be a just slide fit not a tight/press fit or they will expand & be to tight when running they will over heat when they are to tight I use Barden Bearings but there are many that will work for your spindle

Mactec54