Hi All,

Can anyone help/Advise? I have a Bridgeport interact Mk1 fitted with SEM MT 30 R4-58 servo motors these are fitted with Heidenhain ERO-125 optical encoders, (I assume they are optical because there is a bulb with a copper disc with several slots to give a signal?)

I have had to replace a couple of the encoders over the years and they are not cheap and like rocking horse S**t to find!

My question is would it be possible to fit an alternative encoder? I was thinking of removing the old encoder completely, and then turning my own back plate to support a different type/style of encoder?

From what I can see the encoder is mounted thro the motor spindle it looks to be an analogue type encoder this would mean modifying the motor spindle (not a problem I have had one of these motors in bits and they are very easy to assemble/disassemble) so that a link from the shaft to the encoder can be made.

Has anyone attempted this? or am I out of my tree again?....If anyone has, what encoder did you use? and did it work!

Thanks for any help, Allen.