Problem Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery

Thread: Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery

Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery

I recently purchased my mill; it is of 1987 vintage. It has the Heidenhain 151Q controller, Bosch drives, and Fanuc spindle. I have slowly been trying to bring this mill to back life. I never got a straight answer from the previous owner(foundry) why it was taken out of service. So, I took a chance and bought it at a good price as it was in their way.

So, the issue have I encountered now is, I can’t seem to enter an rpm value below 399 rpms. With the spindle adjust knob you can have a percentage above and below your entered spindle speed. And with other numbers I enter I get that functionality at 400 I can go below to 399 but I can go higher. Is there a parameter that controls this or is there a “back-gear” that I need to shift into? Any rpm number I input below 400 rpms, I get a “WRONG RPM” fault on the screen. It clears easily but I cant get it to drop below that number. I can do an M19 command for spindle orientation. I don’t have air hooked up or tool holders yet so I haven’t tried a tool change.

I anyone has come up against this if you could share that fix I would appreciate it.
    Mike

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by mmcan2 View Post

I recently purchased my mill; it is of 1987 vintage. It has the Heidenhain 151Q controller, Bosch drives, and Fanuc spindle. I have slowly been trying to bring this mill to back life. I never got a straight answer from the previous owner(foundry) why it was taken out of service. So, I took a chance and bought it at a good price as it was in their way.

So, the issue have I encountered now is, I can’t seem to enter an rpm value below 399 rpms. With the spindle adjust knob you can have a percentage above and below your entered spindle speed. And with other numbers I enter I get that functionality at 400 I can go below to 399 but I can go higher. Is there a parameter that controls this or is there a “back-gear” that I need to shift into? Any rpm number I input below 400 rpms, I get a “WRONG RPM” fault on the screen. It clears easily but I cant get it to drop below that number. I can do an M19 command for spindle orientation. I don’t have air hooked up or tool holders yet so I haven’t tried a tool change.

I anyone has come up against this if you could share that fix I would appreciate it.
    Mike
    Most machines have a minimum speed, what does it say in your manual as to the lowest speed, I think 4,000 RPM was the max RPM for that machine, does it have a Gear box with a High / Low Ratio

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Most machines have a minimum speed, what does it say in your manual as to the lowest speed, I think 4,000 RPM was the max RPM for that machine, does it have a Gear box with a High / Low Ratio
    I only have a maintenance manual with has a lot of info just not specifics of the motor. The spindle will turn up to 4000 I verified that yesterday it just wont go below 399 i verified that too. That's why I asked the question here I cant find anything. I don't know if it a parameter issue or shifting of gears is what needs to happen. The parameters talk about gears and spindle speeds but I cant find an M-code for shifting gears. I have run big mills droop and reins and Ingersoll mills that you had to shift gears with m-codes.

Community Moderator RaderSidetrack's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps page 18 of this Heidenhain-Tnc-151-Q manual will be useful to you:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...Q.html?page=18

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RaderSidetrack View Post
    Perhaps page 18 of this Heidenhain-Tnc-151-Q manual will be useful to you:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...Q.html?page=18
    I just looked at this page this morning and I am going to try it later today when Im off work. This is what I came up with looking at that page. The bottom numbers is the new number im going to put in for parameter 63 and see what happens right. Thanks for reply...

Machine Parameter 63
    Example 20802 rpm range 20 - 1000
    01991 rpm range .112 - 9000
    *52921 rpm range 40 - 4000*

Downloads
    Uploads

M41, M42 - try to switch the gear range

Downloads
    Uploads

I just looked at this page this morning and I am going to try it later today when Im off work. This is what I came up with looking at that page. The bottom numbers is the new number im going to put in for parameter 63 and see what happens right. Thanks for reply...

Machine Parameter 63
    Example 20802 rpm range 20 - 1000
    01991 rpm range .112 - 9000
    *52921 rpm range 40 - 4000*
    If it has a Gear Box then you should get that part working first before you change any parameters, they may be correct for the gear it is in.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If it has a Gear Box then you should get that part working first before you change any parameters, they may be correct for the gear it is in.
    So far owner I bought the vmc from states no gear changes were necessary. I modified the parameters to match the new number I thought would work and same result. The owner did state that wasn't sure of the lowest rpm he ever ran it at. So I'm still investigating this issue. I still welcome suggestions and I will share the results here.

Downloads
    Uploads

So far owner I bought the vmc from states no gear changes were necessary. I modified the parameters to match the new number I thought would work and same result. The owner did state that wasn't sure of the lowest rpm he ever ran it at. So I'm still investigating this issue. I still welcome suggestions and I will share the results here.
    Why would you want to go below 400 RPM anyway it is a CNC machine, and it would not have any usable torque to do anything with at a lower speed.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would you want to go below 400 RPM anyway it is a CNC machine, and it would not have any usable torque to do anything with at a lower speed.

Rigid tapping...

Downloads
    Uploads

Rigid tapping...
    It will not drive a tap at 400 RPM for rigid tapping, unless it was a very small tap, or for large taps if your machine has a gear box built into the head spindle drive that has a high and low ratio, if you were rigid tapping with a small tap, you would not be running that slow 800RPM to 1200RPM would be the lower end for using small Taps.

Take a photo of the head of your machine I will tell you if you have a gear box!

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It will not drive a tap at 400 RPM for rigid tapping, unless it was a very small tap, or for large taps if your machine has a gear box built into the head spindle drive that has a high and low ratio, if you were rigid tapping with a small tap, you would not be running that slow 800RPM to 1200RPM would be the lower end for using small Taps.

Take a photo of the head of your machine I will tell you if you have a gear box!
    Probably the largest tapping I do is 1/2-13 or 12mm. I also do alot of stabbing and reaming for precise hole locations. The book I have from the owner states rpm range 40 4000. I attached 2 pictures of the head and one of the drive board.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery-20230131_160027-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery-20230131_160003-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Spindle RPM Mystery-20230131_160445-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably the largest tapping I do is 1/2-13 or 12mm. I also do alot of stabbing and reaming for precise hole locations. The book I have from the owner states rpm range 40 4000. I attached 2 pictures of the head and one of the drive board.
    Is the air cylinder on the back to do with Tool changer or the High low Gear change if it is for the gear change then it would be in the high Gear, the low Gear would get you down to the 40 RPM.

Need more photos of the sides.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike
    Possibly parameter or plc parameter incorrectly set.
    M40 is usually automatic gear change (if it has auto select). Low and high range M41 and M42.
    However, if stuck in high range, 400 could easily be minimum speed set in parameters for M42.
    Also, check gear change air cylinder magnetic reed switches. If high range switch has failed high, then speeds below 400 may well cause an error.

You should have one switch made, not both on or both off ie: 0-1 or 1-0 not 0-0 or 1-1 switch inputs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    Possibly parameter or plc parameter incorrectly set.
    M40 is usually automatic gear change (if it has auto select). Low and high range M41 and M42.
    However, if stuck in high range, 400 could easily be minimum speed set in parameters for M42.
    Also, check gear change air cylinder magnetic reed switches. If high range switch has failed high, then speeds below 400 may well cause an error.

You should have one switch made, not both on or both off ie: 0-1 or 1-0 not 0-0 or 1-1 switch inputs.
    Team,
    Update…I have tried to modify several machine parameters with no success. MP 62, my mill is set to “5” I tried all variables 0-5. This did have the spindle turning much slower, just not controllable with input or spindle knob. MP 63, my mill is set to “01991” I changed the number to match several different combinations, again no success. MP 120 my mill is set to “45000” I tried several combinations only to get a spindle fault. All parameters were reset back to the numbers on the list I received from the previous owner. I’m going to try going into a tapping cycle to see if that will modify the spindle speed to suit the feed variable. So I have to figure out how to switch from Heidenhain controls language to ISO.

Downloads
    Uploads

Team,
    Update…I have tried to modify several machine parameters with no success. MP 62, my mill is set to “5” I tried all variables 0-5. This did have the spindle turning much slower, just not controllable with input or spindle knob. MP 63, my mill is set to “01991” I changed the number to match several different combinations, again no success. MP 120 my mill is set to “45000” I tried several combinations only to get a spindle fault. All parameters were reset back to the numbers on the list I received from the previous owner. I’m going to try going into a tapping cycle to see if that will modify the spindle speed to suit the feed variable. So I have to figure out how to switch from Heidenhain controls language to ISO.
    **SOLVED** Thanks for the replies, I have solved the issue with your help. It was parameter 184 spindle voltage min - max 0v - 9.999v. I inadvertently input .999v when in fact the parameter called for .099v. The list provided to by the previous owner had the proper value I fat fingered it!