If this has already been addressed or answered, I apologize - I don't visit the forum very often.

I just purchased a 2001 Bridgeport VMC 2216 XV that has a Fanuc 21iA control. Super nice machine, very well cared for, runs like a sewing machine and all for an excellent price - but it came without any tooling.

Everything I can find on the web and the with the machine paperwork, all says it came with a BT40 spindle. The previous owner has tried to help but believes they always ran CAT40 tooling.

I know that dimensionally you can run either in most spindles with the right pull studs - but everything else I read (and know from servicing machine tools for 40 years) says that the wrong holder and pull stud will damage the drawbar and/or tool magazine.

Unfortunately of all the BPs, the last models they made seem to have the least amount of info on them out on the web and while a lot of folks have solid opinions on CAT40 vs BT40 - I haven't seen any related information that's based on firsthand knowledge.

So my questions are;

1) Was that machine available with either spindle? The manuals suggest that the 6k rpm spindle (which this machine has) was only available in BT40

2) Is there anyway to confirm which spindle it has?

3) If it is a BT40 machine, what is the correct pull stud? There are 5 or 6 different lengths and they come in 45°/60° and 90°

4) If it is a CAT40 machine, what is the correct pull stud? There are 5 or 6 different lengths and they come in 45°/60° and 90°

4) Can I run either without risking damage?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and time!