Problem Boss 6 Series II Rigid

Thread: Boss 6 Series II Rigid

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Boss 6 Series II Rigid

Here's what is happening.....
    When I start the machine up I usually leave it sit and warm up a bit before I start moving any axis around.
    Lately it seems like It's taking longer to "straighten" itself out.
    I switch to set up mode and try to move any axis the readout on the dro will say it moved some crazy number like 33.679 inches but the axis only appears to move the 1 inch commanded move. I then zero the axis back out. As I move all 3 axis around one inch at a time it will continue to say crazy numbers until all of a sudden it will read that it only moved the 1 inch command. Once it starts doing that it seems fine from there on out. If I MDI it to move a specific amount that's what it does after it seems to get "warmed up".
    I just afraid one of these days it isn't going to straighten itself out and will read crazy numbers all the time.
    Any ideas?
    Is it a specific board going bad?
    I'm still running all the original boards and panels and I understand some of these may have problems over time.
    I'd like to try and head this off if possible before one day I have job and it won't ever read the correct readouts on the dro.
    Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boss 6 Series II Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by cnc Rookie View Post
    Here's what is happening.....
    When I start the machine up I usually leave it sit and warm up a bit before I start moving any axis around.
    Lately it seems like It's taking longer to "straighten" itself out.
    I switch to set up mode and try to move any axis the readout on the dro will say it moved some crazy number like 33.679 inches but the axis only appears to move the 1 inch commanded move. I then zero the axis back out. As I move all 3 axis around one inch at a time it will continue to say crazy numbers until all of a sudden it will read that it only moved the 1 inch command. Once it starts doing that it seems fine from there on out. If I MDI it to move a specific amount that's what it does after it seems to get "warmed up".
    I just afraid one of these days it isn't going to straighten itself out and will read crazy numbers all the time.
    Any ideas?
    Is it a specific board going bad?
    I'm still running all the original boards and panels and I understand some of these may have problems over time.
    I'd like to try and head this off if possible before one day I have job and it won't ever read the correct readouts on the dro.
    Thanks for any help and/or advice.
    It does sound like it is loosing position do you have servo motors or steppers on your machine if servos then it seems that you may have an encoder problem could be just dirty, don't remove it just the cover, and you may be able to clean it, they also could be on the way out, these systems have lasted very well, those that are still running but may be close to a new control and motors drives upgrade, parts are only available from someone that has upgraded which you could still be getting bad parts from also

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boss 6 Series II Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It does sound like it is loosing position do you have servo motors or steppers on your machine if servos then it seems that you may have an encoder problem could be just dirty, don't remove it just the cover, and you may be able to clean it, they also could be on the way out, these systems have lasted very well, those that are still running but may be close to a new control and motors drives upgrade, parts are only available from someone that has upgraded which you could still be getting bad parts from also
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yep...everything original (steppers) except the plug to hook into my computer. It's worked fine for 15 yrs plus since I've had it. It's not used daily but probably more like once every 2-3 months. Not worth it for me to upgrade. Plenty of parts out there for these old dinosaurs just thought someone may have had a similar happening and was able to excommunicate it.
    I've had it running off a cnc phase convertor this way also.
    I did learn the hard way about starting up and shutting down and have had to replace capacitors a few times
    Also don't touch the hold button when it's in a rapid move any more
    I have contemplated several times about selling and going to a gantry style as 99.99% of what I cut is wood or aluminum. I really wish I had the time to just build myself one large enough. I built some smaller ones that I use for dedicated set ups already but could really use a 3x4ft x10inch Z window gantry.
    This might just be the push I need.